POOLS: Fiberglass or concrete? Solar, gas or electric heater

Closed Thread
Old 11-13-2019, 10:23 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,027 Times in 2,726 Posts

Our concrete pool with waterfalls was installed by T&D and we love it. No gas where we live so we went with solar and a back up heat pump as well with a cover that stores under a small door inside our pool deck. We decided to have a rectangular shaped pool because it gives us more pool space and it is super easy and quick for one person to cover and uncover the pool. With the solar, we only need to use the heat pump during the winter months and we were very pleasantly surprised at how well it heats the pool on even the coldest days when the cover is kept on the pool when not in use. And running the heat pump in the winter costs no more than running the A/C in the summer, so our electric bill is about the same year round. Our pool is salt water, and we learned that during the winter we have to turn down the setting on the chlorineator when the cover is on because the cover holds in the chlorine and elevates the levels. The sun also reduces chlorine, so in the winter when the days are shorter and the sun is lower the pool looses less chlorine.
Old 11-13-2019, 10:43 AM

How often do you have add water to concrete pools? Also it seems that l have to add more water if l run the heat pump is this normal?
Bob
Old 11-13-2019, 11:06 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by tophcfa View Post
Our concrete pool with waterfalls was installed by T&D and we love it. No gas where we live so we went with solar and a back up heat pump as well with a cover that stores under a small door inside our pool deck. We decided to have a rectangular shaped pool because it gives us more pool space and it is super easy and quick for one person to cover and uncover the pool. With the solar, we only need to use the heat pump during the winter months and we were very pleasantly surprised at how well it heats the pool on even the coldest days when the cover is kept on the pool when not in use. And running the heat pump in the winter costs no more than running the A/C in the summer, so our electric bill is about the same year round. Our pool is salt water, and we learned that during the winter we have to turn down the setting on the chlorineator when the cover is on because the cover holds in the chlorine and elevates the levels. The sun also reduces chlorine, so in the winter when the days are shorter and the sun is lower the pool looses less chlorine.

Completely
Old 11-13-2019, 11:12 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhsmith View Post
How often do you have add water to concrete pools? Also it seems that l have to add more water if l run the heat pump is this normal?
Bob
This time of year (lower humidity), once or twice per week with a garden hose for about 10 minutes. During summer (higher humidity), hardly ever. The pool water evaporation seems to increase when the ambient humidity decreases.

I have not noticed any difference when using the electric heater - other than I'm using the heater more now, and the humidity is lower, so evaporation seems to increase.
Old 11-13-2019, 11:52 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,345 Times in 733 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arubagirl33 View Post
Any advice/
Response?!
Propane tanks installed in TV are 250 and 500 gallons with most common being 250. The tanks are full at 80%, so 200 gallons capacity. Propane does not go bad. You can store it for years. I hope this helps.
Old 11-14-2019, 08:21 AM
Sage

One thing that surprises me is that nobody talks about geothermal heating. I was involved with several developments in Collier County, and quite a few large condo pools and spas were heated this way. The expense in pool heating is the conversion of fuel to heat. With geothermal, the heat is removed from groundwater with the only real expense being power to run a pump.
Old 11-14-2019, 09:20 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,027 Times in 2,726 Posts

Quote:
Bob
Sorry I can’t answer your question. Our pool is only 2 and a half years old and the newer pools installed by T&D have a self-leveling system. When it rains a lot and the water gets above a certain level it drains out water and when the water gets below a certain level it automatically adds water. In the water drain area we can’t grow grass because the salt and chlorine kill all growth. We put in a rock collection area where the pool drains away from the birdcage.
Old 11-14-2019, 09:43 AM

There are two energy demands for geothermal heating. There is the water pump to bring groundwater to the surface and discharge it back to the groundwater that you mentioned. There is also a heat pump with compressor to remove heat from groundwater and transfer it to the swimming pool water. The heat pump is similar to what heats most of our homes in cooler weather. The difference is that the geothermal heat source is groundwater at temps of say 60F or so and not air which can be cooler in the winter months.
In addition the geothermal system requires underground piping which may not be practical for smaller homeowner lots. Large condo pools have more land available such under parking lots and ammenity areas that could accommodate geothermal systems.
Old 11-14-2019, 11:01 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

I don't understand my here in Central Florida no one is offering Vinyl Pools. If I was young and wanted to start a business in this area, Leesburg to Ocala, it would be a vinyl pool business.

In 1978 I built my own home as general contractor in Pensacola and had a 16x32 vinyl pool 8' deep with steps and a ladder and decking installed. It took two weeks total and price was $5,000. Here's a photo right after installation.

The Villages Florida

Recently I did a search on Zillow of my old address and found the home was for sale in 2012 with photos still online. Here's a picture of the same pool 35 years later, looks like it has held up fairly good and the home sold for four times the price.

The Villages Florida

In 1980, two years after I built this home I sold the home and built a nicer, bigger home and used the same pool builder (Don Phillips Pools) but this time went with an 18x36 pool, with diving board and underwater lights and more decking, total price was $7700, that's hundred not thousands.

Initially my first pool was only Don's second pool he built, he started in business in '78. In the two years until he built my second pool, he had three crews working full time building pools every two weeks. In fact Don had bought himself a $300K fishing boat and was one of the top professional fisherman in the Pensacola area. So I know even though his prices were extremely low, he was making a good living. With inflation of course we'll never see those prices again but they would certainly be less than what T&D and the others are charging. A vinyl pool is much more comfortable. Your feet are walking on vinyl bottom rather than hard concrete. If your knees hit the sidewalk, the walls are cushioned with a thin layer of foam. BTW, birdcages are not used in the Pensacola area, just fenced yards around pools.
Old 11-14-2019, 11:47 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,748 Times in 1,385 Posts

Quote:
Bob
Running the heat pump should not be affecting the water usage/level. The pool water just circulates through the heater in a closed system.....whether running or not.

The single biggest factor for water usage is evaporation. If you do not have auto fill just throw the hose in for an hour or two to maintain the level you want.

The auto fill is nothing more than a toilet tank filler plumbed in line.
Old 11-14-2019, 10:50 PM
Default Pools

Thanks for getting back to me on water usage l’ve been adding about 5 inches a week for the last 3 or 4 weeks. Don’t know if it makes any difference in usage,we also don’t have a pool cage?
Bbob
Closed Thread

Tags
gas, owning, experiences, leaning, fiberglass/natural

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.