Porcelain tiled garage floor?

Closed Thread
Old 09-13-2022, 08:43 AM
Default Porcelain tiled garage floor?

I was wondering if anyone here had their garage floor done in porcelain tiles. I know that this would be more expensive than epoxy coating, but I am thinking that it might be a better long-term investment for me. Thanks in advance to any that reply!
Old 09-13-2022, 08:48 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,035 Times in 2,730 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulcallaway View Post
I was wondering if anyone here had their garage floor done in porcelain tiles. I know that this would be more expensive than epoxy coating, but I am thinking that it might be a better long-term investment for me. Thanks in advance to any that reply!
Doesn’t porcelain crack when stuff gets dropped on it? Wouldn’t it be very slippery when wet? I finished our garage floor with oil stains, it’s cheap, has a unique random pattern, and repels water. I guess the beauty of porcelain would be that you could use toilet bowl cleaner on your garage floor?
Old 09-13-2022, 11:52 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tophcfa View Post
Doesn’t porcelain crack when stuff gets dropped on it? Wouldn’t it be very slippery when wet? I finished our garage floor with oil stains, it’s cheap, has a unique random pattern, and repels water. I guess the beauty of porcelain would be that you could use toilet bowl cleaner on your garage floor?
Concur with tophcfa. I would expect that porcelain would crack simply from the weight of a car on it. Didn't think about dropping things on it or how slippery it would be. Yeahhhh, if you got money to waste, go ahead and do it in mirrored glass, that'd look awesome. Can always see under your car for IEDs, leaks, etc. Otherwise, just go with epoxy or put down those interlocking rubber squares that make your garage floor look like a checkered flag.
Chino 1960's to 1976, Torrance, CA 1976-1983, 87-91, 94-98 / Frederick Co., MD 1983-1987/ Valencia, CA 1991-1994/ Brea, CA 1998-2002/ Dana Point, CA 2002-2019/ Knoxville, TN 2019-Current/ FL 2022-Current
Old 09-13-2022, 11:59 AM
Sage

Or if tile doesn't work, maybe try granite on the precious garage floor?
Old 09-13-2022, 12:21 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 3,224 Times in 929 Posts

My brother-in-law went to Italy to visit family. Marble is plentiful and cheap in the area where they live so the garage floors are covered with marble.
Old 09-13-2022, 01:41 PM

I have had a garage done in porcelain. It is beautiful and easy to maintain if you use epoxy grout. A car will not crack it. I had a very heavy Snap-on tool box that did crack it on a few tiles when rolling it around though. The funny thing was that I called an epoxy coating dealer to give me an estimate and when he came by he suggested the porcelain. He used tile at his home because you don't have to redo tile but he said the epoxy would have to be redone every 10 years or so. I would do it again.
Old 09-13-2022, 01:43 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,118 Times in 2,237 Posts

Quote:
I would never consider tile for a garage, and would never consider buying a house with this option. As noted above there are many options for treating a garage floor, many people like epoxy, mine is a working garage, therefore I have it coated in a CLEAR finish with lots of shark grip friction compound so it is not slippery when wet. There also tiles that are specifically designed for garages, these which stand vehicle weight, tires, and offer many different designs.
IMHO, I would suggest a more tradition covering.
Old 09-14-2022, 06:24 AM
Default Tile on garage floor

Quote:
That is not an investment. It is a liability: easily damaged and horribly slippery when wet. Send money to food bank.
Old 09-14-2022, 06:41 AM
Default garage floor

I have epoxy and I love it. It looks beautiful and it's very easy to keep clean. It has a textured surface so it's not slippery when wet.
Old 09-14-2022, 06:55 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
worst idea ever - unless it's only golf carts... cars are too heavy for tile, plus you'll land on your a$$ when it's wet. The grout will never withstand it either
Old 09-14-2022, 06:59 AM
Default Will work if done properly

With the proper tile and properly applied grout, tile will work out just fine. I have seen it on many occasions in high-end garages. Slipperiness is a function of the type of tile. I am thinking of doing this myself. I suggest visiting Roberto’s flooring and discussing the best tile to use. I suggest Roberto’s because they are more focused on ceramic and porcelain tile than other flooring providers near The Villages.
Old 09-14-2022, 07:03 AM

Quote:
We have porcelain in our bath. Never again. When we it might as well be an ice skating rink.
Old 09-14-2022, 07:30 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,301 Times in 559 Posts

If you do tile your garage floor, would you also install multiple shower heads? Please lower your garage door if you follow thru on this.

Last edited by RICH1; 09-14-2022 at 07:45 AM.
Old 09-14-2022, 07:41 AM
Default Porcelain tile usage

Quote:
The first thing you do is order nonskid porcelain tile. The design of porcelain tile is solid though out tile, and very hard, so chipping is less noticeable. I feel the most important part of doing it in the location you mentioned is installation. First make sure you have a very qualified installer and making sure your existing concrete floor is fairly level. A good installer can make the difference in job. Leaving hollow spots in installation, will cause cracks in tile. Use the recommended grout and cleaner and you will be a very happy homeowner. To check job yourself that it’s done properly on installation tap with you hand knuckles, so it has a solid sound, any hollow sounds have installer replace. Good luck
Old 09-14-2022, 08:01 AM

A durable, life-long surface is already present. Concrete. It's a garage.
Closed Thread

Tags
porcelain, garage, floor, thinking, investment

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.