Price of Daily Sun

Closed Thread
Old 05-25-2011, 03:56 PM

Be happy with the wonderful daily newspaper you have.
Here in Cleveland, Ohio we have only one morning paper, the Plain Dealer.
Cost for home delivery is: $1.75 Sunday and .56 daily. The quaility of information is poor and the size of the paper is small. Also, the carriers are really affected by the fuel increases and vechicle repairs.
As for internet newspaper, really, how great is that to have morning coffee and breakfast in front of the computer. We enjoy the Daily Sun when at TV, look forward to the package in our driveway.
Old 05-25-2011, 04:40 PM
Location: Winter - Village of Bonita; Summer - Marblehead, OH

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimJoe View Post
Internet papers do not get lost, blown around, water on them, stolen, you do not have to recycle them, you can look up and reread or just find an article on any subject from last week or last years paper with a simple one word search, you can highlight or save articles, you can send a copy if an article if allowed to a friend with the click of your mouse, save a copy of a pic in the paper, respond with a letter to the editor with a click, vote on the newspaper poll with a click, change the font so you do not have to squint, or get your reading glasses, read it on vacation or while a snow bird, will never mix it up with other papers when you want to reread it, get it at 2am or whenever you wake up, read it on the go with your nook or kindle, read it at the same time as your wife is reading it, save a forest every year, read your hometown paper in the same manner if they are totally online, complain to the editor about content, grammar, or price with a click, and more you cannot do with a paper copy. If you really want or need a paper copy, you can always print one using your computer Print button.
It is time now to advance the ball, or they could offer you the option of print, e paper, or both.
JJ
But it's hard to take the desktop into the bathroom........

Today's new friend become tomorrow's family

Ohio - Cleveland, Lakewood, North Ridgeville, North Olmsted, Marblehead, Elyria; Florida - Village of Bonita (2010)
Old 05-25-2011, 04:43 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by mak44070 View Post
Old 05-25-2011, 06:34 PM
Sage

Quote:
Thanks for the laughs.
Old 05-25-2011, 07:24 PM

"While an online subscription is great for some, there's something special about sitting on your lanai with a cup of coffee, reading the paper, be it the Sun or whatever one you read"

I am with you on this, starting my day with a cup of coffee and the Daily Sun is one of my highlights when I am there. While at home in Chicago I would love to have the full edition online.
Old 05-25-2011, 07:26 PM

I wasn't aware of the increase and when I purchased the annual delivery @ .15 cents a day, I thought it was insanely inexpensive. I am impressed with reading the Sun and I look forward to doing so. As a snow bird, when I'm at home in TV, I look forward to reading the home delivered newspaper. When I'm back in MA, I look forward to reading the on-line version. Given that I can start and stop my home delivery with a phone call, I think this newspaper provides a great value....even with a price increase.

Dan
Natick, MA
Village of Buttonwood 1/12/11
Old 05-25-2011, 10:57 PM
Default Price of The Sun

The Daily Sun produces an excellent product and provides an essential service to residents of The Villages. The increase in the cost of the physical newspaper is a result of overall increases in costs that cannot be offset by advertising revenue alone. Newspapers have to face the same increases in labor and benefits as do other businesses and in addition they are victimized by the increased costs of distribution and the increased costs of raw materials such as newsprint and ink which is petroleum based and I think has some silver in it as well.

One would think that a digital edition would solve many of these cost factors but there are some realities that need to be considered. First, one of the greatest costs for a newspaper is their editorial department and that cost does not go away whether your digital or print. Secondly, to generate a daily digital product requires a different skill set for staffers than what currently might exist in The Villages. This creates a management dilemma, do you layoff existing staff in favor of a digital product? My guess is the demographic profile of The Villages would lend itself to a print product which seems to be supported well by the local advertising community. One of the greatest challenges of newspapers around the country has been their inability to monetize their digital products. If the advertisers in The Daily Sun don't feel they will get adequate eyeballs, they will not support a robust digital edition.
The reality is that it's all about individual choice and most digital versions of a newspaper compliment a print edition, rather than replace it. There are several studies that have been done that show a reduction in cognitive retention when reading digital content versus print. The prediction that print editions of newspapers are going away is over-hyped. The industry is transitioning, but even colleges students today prefer obtaining their news from print newspapers 28 percent vs. Online 27 percent with TV being tops which explains why so many only know what comes from The Comedy Network.
Bottom line, The Daily Sun is a great value even at $.50!
Old 05-26-2011, 06:46 AM

the cost of the daily paper at 50 cents continues to be a bargain.... it costs more for delivery and printing.
Old 05-26-2011, 08:03 AM
Sage

Quote:
A day later and still hysterical over this comment. Thank you as I needed a laugh.
Old 05-26-2011, 08:26 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2BNTV View Post
A day later and still hysterical over this comment. Thank you as I needed a laugh.
My droid tablet works great in the can.
JJ

Last edited by JimJoe; 05-26-2011 at 08:26 AM. Reason: clarity
Old 05-26-2011, 04:35 PM
Veteran member

now that's great piece of news............
Old 05-26-2011, 05:47 PM

There is another, very good reason you need a newspaper in the bathroom. " O my God, were out of toilet ......"
Old 07-08-2011, 08:25 PM

the cost of the Sun in the boxes is 50 cents, but it's a lot cheaper when you subscribe for home delivery.
Old 07-08-2011, 10:25 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,366 Times in 2,395 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmhmom View Post
the cost of the Sun in the boxes is 50 cents, but it's a lot cheaper when you subscribe for home delivery.
See #10,#13 and #21..............
Old 07-08-2011, 10:33 PM

I agree with Pooh's comment about it being special about sitting on the lanai and reading the print version of a paper. I read the Wall Street Journal every day on my ipad when I am home in CT, but when I am in TV next month for three weeks I am going to reactivate my paper subscription so I can read it on the lanai in the morning before coffee and I before I golf. Also looking forward to reading the full version of the Daily Sun. I do agree that it would be great to get a subscription full version of the Daily Sun on my ipad.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.