Problem with Blackton Flooring

Closed Thread
Old 05-08-2017, 12:43 AM
Gold member
Default Problem with Blackton Flooring

This is the first time we have had an issue with a Villages approved contractor, and we are at a loss as to what to do next.

Back Story:
We closed on our house in Feb 2014. Blackton did our flooring and tile work. We had a few very minor issues that were resolved in a very timely manor. Towards the end of the 1 yr warranty period we found that we were having our sheet vinyl flooring separate at one of the seams.

We called Home Warranty and within a day or two a rep from Blackton came out and agreed that one section of the vinyl which spanned the laundry room, hall and entrance to the Master Bedroom needed to be replaced.
The repair was done to our satisfaction, the seams were invisible and baseboard was replaced cleanly with no sign that a repair had ever been done. We were very happy with their repair.

Fast Forward:
Over a year after the repair was done we noticed bubbles developing under the new vinyl sheeting. At first it was just one or two. Now we have about 25. Some are the size of a quarter while some are the size of a dinner plate! We started calling Blackton about 5 months ago.

We realize that we are out of the warranty period. But they installed our floor and did our repair and we want them to do this repair, on their dime or on ours. We have called more times than we can count. We have left multiple messages and have not had the courtesy of a reply phone call.

I have called Home Warranty to assist us in getting in contact with Blackton. We did receive a call from the Retail Sales Manager for Blackton. He told me who to email and I sent the emails about 2 weeks ago. No reply of course.

So now I am just ****ed!

In addition to the problem with the vinyl flooring, We also have had to have the carpet re stretched in the Master Bedroom. Now the Carpet in the Living Room/Dining Room has several huge ripples in it which will require re stretching.

My husband and I owned a Custom Home Construction company for many years and we know that for carpets to stay tight, you need to install the carpets with a pressure stretcher. The carpets in our home were obviously done with a knee kick stretcher which did not get all the carpets tight.

When we needed the Master carpet re stretched we called Blackton, it was out of warranty, but they sent a company out to stretch the carpets properly, at our cost.
I just don't understand why they won't do the same with the vinyl repair.

Worse than them totally ignoring our many calls, emails and messages, we don't know who to call to do this vinyl repair and not rip us off. And of course we need to have the carpet re stretched before we have guests trip on the gigantic ripples, which seem to grow larger daily.
So, where do I go from here??

I thought that after the snowbirds left, we would get a call. We know they are busy. But they are simply ignoring us and hoping we will go away.

Any suggestions on who to call for the repairs we need would be appreciated. Blackton has been totally unresponsive and dis interested in our problems with their flooring. I am no longer a fan, and will tell everyone we know about their lack of communication.

If they did your floors, just be sure that they repair anything you might have within the warranty period. Because then you will become invisible!!

Last edited by dotti105; 05-08-2017 at 12:56 AM.
Old 05-08-2017, 07:49 AM
Sage
Thanked 6,151 Times in 2,249 Posts

I am not a fan of vinyl flooring, especially on concrete, if the glue is not applied correctly and the flooring not completely rolled correctly, you get problems. IMHO, the problem with the vinyl flooring may not be repairable, and matching the existing (2+ year old) vinyl with new vinyl may be difficult. I would just start calling various flooring companies, to see who would be willing to look at the flooring and discuss repair/replace, and provide an estimate. You can then check their references and reviews.
As for the carpeting, there are a few companies that will re-streach your carpets, and this may be your best choice. Ask them who moves any furniture before you have them come out.
Hope this helps, and very sorry for your problems. One word of caution, if you decide replace your flooring with something like the floating wood flooring, I would strongly suggest that you have the vinyl flooring removed, as you are going to lose clearance for the dishwasher and when you need to replace it in the future this could be a significant problem.
Old 05-08-2017, 11:53 AM
Gold member

Thanks for you reply,
Our intention when we purchased the home was to have LVT placed through out the home excluding bedrooms. So we had The Villages put the least expensive flooring in the hard floor areas. That turned out to be the sheet Vinyl which is an oak pattern and actually looks so good that guests compliment us on our beautiful "wood flooring" So we have not been in a rush do do the tear out and install.

I am just so frustrated at the lack of customer service following the failed repair. We are also very unhappy with the carpet installation which now at 3 yrs is showing that it was not installed correctly.

Maybe it is time to start the serious LVT shopping. Not sure I am up for that. But we aren't left with many options at this point!
Old 05-08-2017, 12:10 PM
Gold member

I did just call Home Warranty again and spoke to a nice woman named Rebecca. She says the owners are in there often and she will discuss this with the owners, themselves. She sounded as if they would stand behind their work. We shall see.....
Closed Thread

Tags
repair, blackton, vinyl, warranty, carpets

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.