Quartz countertop hairline crack

Closed Thread
Old 08-01-2021, 08:58 AM

[QUOTE=lkagele;1981638]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viperguy View Post
Anyone know who or how to fill a hairline crack in a quartz countertop? Left a hot air fryer on it and oops. Guess it wasn't very heat resistant......my bad[/QUOTE

Might be covered by your HO insurance. If it can't be fixed without being noticeable, replacement would apply if it's a covered claim.
That’s not even close to true. Why say these things at all?
Old 08-01-2021, 09:49 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,883 Times in 2,429 Posts

Ever heard of rock hard? Rock is hard, what you get with rock countertops and floors (real tile) drop something and CRACK. I hate tile floor in my house, it’s hard on feet, slick when wet, noisy, and drop something heavy CRACKS. Not too mention costs fortune to have installed. But, it looks Pretty. I surprised quarts cracks from heat? IMO not good choice for countertop’s if you do anything in kitchen, when we get older get harder and harder to hold on to heavier items. Accident just awaiting?
Old 08-01-2021, 10:27 AM
Send a message via AIM to newgirl

I was told quartz did not burn , stain, or break easily. That is why I bought it. Sadly the company I used did a bate and switch, did damage to my car and refused to take responsibility, and did a crap job that took forever and is not great. ( so bad they ended up giving my two baths free , would have preferred what I ordered and a good experience)Just say, big popular companies off on 441 are not always what they advertise.
Old 08-01-2021, 10:39 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,599 Times in 5,194 Posts

[QUOTE=KRMACK55;1981671]
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkagele View Post
I'm not as sure as you are about that. Homeowners policies have some differences, and some insurance companies handle claims differently. If the countertop was damaged by a hot appliance, that could be considered accidental damage to the house, which may be covered. I think spilling red wine on a carpet is an example of accidental damage that is sometimes covered by insurance. Or, accidentally allowing the sink to overflow or leaving the oven on and causing smoke damage. Or, driving the car through the garage wall. These accidents are often covered by insurance.

OP, it doesn't hurt to ask your insurance company if they will cover the damage. New countertops will cost thousands of dollars, and you may not be able to color match a single slab.
Old 08-01-2021, 11:31 AM

[QUOTE=KRMACK55;1981671]
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkagele View Post
I guess in my 38 years in the claims adjusting business I didn't learn a thing.....

Your countertop would be considered part of the building structure. Homeowners Structure coverage is written on an 'All Risks' basis. Everything is covered unless there is a specific exclusion. I don't know who your carrier is but I can't think of any exclusion that would apply in the standard policies I've seen.

Your adjuster will probably make an attempt to repair the damage. If it can't be repaired to your satisfaction (i.e. the crack is still noticeable), you would be entitled to full replacement of that countertop and all others in the kitchen that are matching.

Your insurance company would probably have knowledge of qualified repairmen they could refer you to so, if nothing else, that's a good place to start. Repaired or replaced, you claim would be subject to your policy deductible.
Old 08-01-2021, 11:40 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,599 Times in 5,194 Posts

[QUOTE=lkagele;1981726]
Quote:
Originally Posted by KRMACK55 View Post

I guess in my 38 years in the claims adjusting business I didn't learn a thing.....

Your countertop would be considered part of the building structure. Homeowners Structure coverage is written on an 'All Risks' basis. Everything is covered unless there is a specific exclusion. I don't know who your carrier is but I can't think of any exclusion that would apply in the standard policies I've seen.

Your adjuster will probably make an attempt to repair the damage. If it can't be repaired to your satisfaction (i.e. the crack is still noticeable), you would be entitled to full replacement of that countertop and all others in the kitchen that are matching.

Your insurance company would probably have knowledge of qualified repairmen they could refer you to so, if nothing else, that's a good place to start. Repaired or replaced, you claim would be subject to your policy deductible.
I agree. And, if the crack is noticeable, I would expect the countertops to be replaced. It may still be functional, but when you sell the house, I can almost guarantee that a prospective buyer is not going to be very receptive to buying a house with a cracked countertop.
Old 08-01-2021, 12:11 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiltongrizz11 View Post
yeah he's going to travel from sarasota to fill a crack. Spend 4 hours on the road to do 1 hour job.

Of course the customer will gladly pay and that's $300 for him just to arrive.
read up on ocd
Old 08-02-2021, 07:53 AM
Sage
Thanked 6,121 Times in 2,237 Posts

Viperguy, sent you a PM.
Old 08-17-2021, 12:56 PM

Good ideas all. Thanks. Hairline, barely noticeable but I expect it may propagate at some point. Replacement may be necessary.
Old 08-17-2021, 02:04 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,121 Times in 2,237 Posts

I would definitely go with repair first much lower cost.

Tags
quartz, hairline, crack, countertop, resistant

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.