Question about electrical outlet

Closed Thread
Old 07-17-2018, 07:54 PM
Default Question about electrical outlet

Many on this forum seem to have good knowledge of electrical. #1. Do you need a special plug for an upright 12cf freezer ? #2. I had it delivered and placed right at an outlet, but now thinking I need a "special" outlet ? #3. what do I ask for when I call an electrician to make the outlet appropriate for the freezer ? #4. and finally, what would be a fair/honest price for this ? I am asking this because a neighbor got a bill for $400 to replace an existing controller for the sprinkler system...then ran into someone who had the EXACT SAME controlled put in for $80 for controller and $50 to take the old one off wall and connect the new one ! (6 colored wires to connect to colored ports, took about 10 minutes) What to do, who to call to get proper outlet for my new freezer ? I need input !
Old 07-17-2018, 09:03 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,005 Times in 2,199 Posts

OK, I will try to answer your questions.
1. This size freezer should have a conventional 3 prong plug, that does not require a special outlet.
2. The only concern I could see if this was an outdoor, or in the garage installation AND the outlet was NOT currently protected by a GFCI.
3. See above no changes required. No having stated this, if the load of the freezer, and any other loads on this circuit exceed the capability of the circuit (typically 15 amp, possibly 20 amp), then you would need to have a dedicated circuit installed for the freezer and a GFCI.
4. Price is unknown (see above), should be zero, unless one of the previous items needs to be done.
While I am NOT a licensed electrician, I have an extensive electrical background. IMHO, if you want to be absolutely sure, go to (or call) the electrical inspector for Sumter County (Pinellas Plaza) and ask them.
Send me a PM if you want a call to discuss further.
Old 07-17-2018, 09:33 PM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,243 Times in 359 Posts

I'm not an electrician either but I agree with the tinker. GFCI plug is not required unless the appliance is used near a water source or where the threat of electrical shock is increased (like in your kitchen or bathroom). My fridge/freezer is plugged into a normal 3 prong plug in my garage.

BTW, I changed my own sprinkler control recently. Less than $50 for the control and the job required 1 screwdriver and about 15 minutes. 6 color coded wires.

The government cannot give anything to anyone without first taking it from someone else
Old 07-17-2018, 09:45 PM
Soaring Eagle member

plug in. If the circuit break blows you probably need a new outlet.
Figure 100 for a visit but then running new wire etc could add a couple hundred more. Depends on time.
Old 07-18-2018, 04:35 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,742 Times in 703 Posts

All outlets in a garage require GFCI protection. This is required in Sumter County (and most other locations). A freezer/refrigerator, especially newer ones, won’t have any issues operating on a circuit that has GFCI protection. Older refrigerators could sometimes be problematic on those circuits. There are literally hundreds of people who have refrigerators/freezers in their garages here.

Last edited by photo1902; 07-18-2018 at 05:23 AM.
Old 07-18-2018, 06:59 AM

Just a note of caution, if the garage GFCI refrigerator circuit trips you may not know it for a while in which case you may be on cleanup duty.
Old 07-18-2018, 11:14 AM

I agree with tinker, too with the following comment/question. You need to check what other devices are on the same circuit breaker. The freezer will use quite a bit of power when the compressor starts and may need a separate circuit if other devices are on the circuit you are using. There should be a name plate on the freezer which notes the operating amperage. When starting, the freezer may draw up to 3 times the operating amperage for a short period.

If you don't know what else is on the same circuit, plug a lamp into the outlet you want to use, then go to the fuse box and shut off the circuit breaker...if the lamp goes out you know you've turned off the correct breaker. Then check around the house for anything else that no longer is working. Good luck.
Old 07-23-2018, 10:29 PM

Talked to a neighbor about this today (still reluctant to start it up...LOL) Neighbor's advice was to make absolutely sure the plug in NOT a GFCI. Like me, his house has two of these in the garage and the rest are not. His story: they were away for several months. There was a storm, no lightening hit their house or anything, but the electricity was off for several blocks around them. When SECO got the power back on in less than one hour, most things (lights in the homes, refrigerators in kitchens, etc. came ON), but because they had unknowingly used one of the two GFCI plugs, the freezer never came back on because no one was there to "reset" the plug ! ! They lost over $600 in meat and salmon alone, plus other items in the freezer. Hope if anyone else has this situation they can move to a plug which would resume without someone being there should you be away when there is a power interruption ! ! Expensive lesson to THINK when deciding when and for what to use these plugs.

Yes, neighbor talked to me today to tell me no matter what, just make sure I do NOT attempt to plug the new freezer into a GFCI ! They lost over $600 and the smell, time, and effort to clean this all up was overwhelming !

Last edited by Moderator; 07-24-2018 at 05:36 AM.
Old 07-24-2018, 07:20 AM
Sage

Keep in mind that on an electrical circuit, only one gfci outlet is needed to protect the entire circuit. It can also be protected with a gfci breaker by itself. Any more than that is actually redundant.
Old 07-24-2018, 07:25 AM
Veteran member

fyi ,some freezers have a loud buzzer alarm if ,the freezer gets above 30.
Old 07-24-2018, 07:59 AM
Sage
Thanked 6,005 Times in 2,199 Posts

In general removing an existing GFCI means you will be breaking the legal requirements for your house, which may have implications later on . You would be much better off to get a freezer temperature alarm
Old 07-25-2018, 05:10 PM

Agree with the above. Word of caution. A gfci is sensitive by nature. A refrigerator or freezer cycles on and off frequently, even more in the garage. This wears on the gfci and causes it to fail after several years in the off mode. I have seen this in both a panel installed gfci and one installed at the outlet. Best to have some way to easily check to make sure the appliance is on.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.