Rats in roof - who best to call?

Closed Thread
Old 08-29-2014, 06:08 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Default Rats in roof - who best to call?

We have had rats and mice in our roof-space for the past two weeks

Our pest control people - Massey - have been round to put traps up there (caught two mice and one rat so far) and have left one container of poisoned bait near the house but, if anything, there is more noise up there than before.

Massey has made no attempt to locate the point of entry which, to my mind, should have been Job One. No point in trapping and poisoning what is up there now if they will be replaced by more later on.

Do you personally know anyone I can speak to directly at Massey about this, or any other pest control people who will do a better job?

Thank you
Old 08-29-2014, 07:14 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,039 Times in 373 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic Fox View Post
We have had rats and mice in our roof-space for the past two weeks

Our pest control people - Massey - have been round to put traps up there (caught two mice and one rat so far) and have left one container of poisoned bait near the house but, if anything, there is more noise up there than before.

Massey has made no attempt to locate the point of entry which, to my mind, should have been Job One. No point in trapping and poisoning what is up there now if they will be replaced by more later on.

Do you personally know anyone I can speak to directly at Massey about this, or any other pest control people who will do a better job?

Thank you
Shortly after having extensive work done on our home we heard noises in the attic and called both TV and Massey. We were recommended to a "trapper" who came, told us $180 for the first visit just to look. He went into the attic found nothing and we paid him $180.

I have just done a computer search on rats in the attic and there are numerous people who do rat and mouse extermination. Respectfully suggest you might google or other search for Rats in the Attic and find someone you are comfortable with.

I should add that when the trapper was in our attic, he did find an area where a hole had been chewed through the plywood and you could see daylight through the siding. The thought was that something had entered the attic during the time the extension was being built, but had chewed its way out! We called in a local handiman who was highly recommended on this site, he came, made the repair and charged us next to nothing.

My son in NH had mice in his attic and it is very unnerving to listen to little feet running around over your head. Good luck with your problem.

Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about!

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak
Old 08-29-2014, 07:37 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madelaine Amee View Post
...when the trapper was in our attic, he did find an area where a hole had been chewed through the plywood and you could see daylight through the siding.
Thank you, Madelaine.

It would certainly be nice just to know where they are getting in so we can prevent newcomers.
Old 08-29-2014, 08:30 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,039 Times in 373 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic Fox View Post
Thank you, Madelaine.

It would certainly be nice just to know where they are getting in so we can prevent newcomers.
Have you been up there with a high powered flash light? It's a bit nerve wracking to climb into your attic when you know critters are up there, but I "suggested" to my other half that someone had to do it and I certainly was not going to, so he stood on the top step of the pull down attic stairs and looked around with a flash light and that's when it was obvious that something had been in there. It is made even more difficult because we had an enormous amount of insulation in our attic, which I am assuming is used throughout TV when the homes are built.

The "trapper" did tell us that vermin can also get in along the ridge vents. He also suggested to get rid of palm trees that had been put in too close to the home and where the palm fronds were now laying over the roof. According to him Rats live in palms - we don't have palms, our next door neighbor does and we often see squirrels run up the trunk into the palm and jump onto the roof and from there who knows where they are going.

Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about!

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak
Old 08-29-2014, 08:36 AM
Platinum member

I think I've seen ads for Truly Nolen in the paper. At my previous home I had that problem and they have a rodent program where they do check all around for entry points and seal them, then trap them. It was costly but was good for a year and the subsequent renewals would have been a fraction if I wanted to maintain the contract. good luck.
Old 08-29-2014, 09:22 AM
Sage

If your home was built after 2012, or if you have had the refrigerant lines replaced, you may have a metal chase attached to the side of your home. This provides a "highway" for all sorts of critters to access your attic space. Get a can of expanding foam from the hardware store and fill the space where the pipes enter. After it dries, you can easily trim any excess off with a sharp knife so it looks a little neater.
Old 08-29-2014, 03:53 PM

Do you have palm trees near your house? If so, you may want to ensure that the fons are not rubbing against the roof or hanging over the roof.
Old 08-29-2014, 07:30 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Palm trees and palm fronds too close to your house are a definite for vermin getting on to your roof and cockroaches live in them and love them, particularly Queen palms.

Most pest control companies do not do mice and rats in attics and if they say they do them, usually do not do them well. It truly is a specialty and usually is not cheap. In addition, it may take a month or two to get rid of them 100%. Madelaine has given you some good thoughts and advice. The main thing, of course, is to find their point of entry. I wouldn't bother doing anything until someone finds that place, otherwise you are kissing your money away on an ongoing basis.
Old 08-29-2014, 07:36 PM
Sage

Fruit rats will be attracted to your roof if you have any citrus trees close by, even if in your neighbor's yard.
Old 08-29-2014, 08:19 PM
Gold member

Love the look of palm trees. Glad I don't have any around me.
Old 08-29-2014, 08:34 PM
Veteran member

I had rodent in my garage for a month-He chewed at every every piece of rubber in my garage[washing machine,vacuum cleaner,wires for cart's turn signals,oil line,sprinkler system] Massey was no help.I finally saw him run under washing machine.Unhooked machine,tipped it over,pressed him between two glue traps-A month of frustration!
Old 08-29-2014, 09:41 PM

I love our family of black snakes. Sometimes we find them laying in the sun in our driveway. We just say Hi and they move on. No worry feeling rats crunching on your crusty dry toe nails at 2am. No frog droppings on our window sills either......life is good.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.