Opinions requested on window tinting on glassed in lanai for privacy, please

Closed Thread
Old 06-28-2020, 07:05 AM
Gold member
Default Opinions requested on window tinting on glassed in lanai for privacy, please

Would appreciate insight from folks who have added window tinting on lanai to help with privacy. Were you expectations met, did it damage the windows, help with heat?

Thanks.
Old 06-28-2020, 07:27 AM

During daylight it is difficult to see in unless you are face to the glass. I didn't measure the heat difference but ours was uncomfortable in the late afternoon (west facing) now it is very comfortable. It is the most used room in our house. We have double pane low e glass. We were told that there would be no damage to the glass.

Last edited by drpepper; 06-28-2020 at 07:30 AM. Reason: add to the message.
Old 06-28-2020, 09:12 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,919 Times in 1,109 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by drpepper View Post
During daylight it is difficult to see in unless you are face to the glass. I didn't measure the heat difference but ours was uncomfortable in the late afternoon (west facing) now it is very comfortable. It is the most used room in our house. We have double pane low e glass. We were told that there would be no damage to the glass.
Visit solar guys they can show you exactly how it will look and see , I’ve had them do some work on trouble dun spots in all my homes here
Old 06-28-2020, 09:20 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debfrommaine View Post
Would appreciate insight from folks who have added window tinting on lanai to help with privacy. Were you expectations met, did it damage the windows, help with heat?

Thanks.
We have a sort of mirrored finish and it makes it kinda hard to see in. I will say this. I never expected to enjoy our glassed in lanai as much as I have. I love the lack of dirt. Florida air is DIRTY. We also have shades. Also...our glass can withstand some pretty hefty winds and does keep out most of the heat. We don't have an air conditioning unit. We just open the doors to the house. Come over after this plague is done and see it. (If we are all still alive lol.)
Old 06-28-2020, 09:27 AM
Gold member

Great input.......and getting good information. KALOS (352-243-7088) installed our split Mitsubishi on Friday and wow, can't say enough about how great their service was and that we are loving the efficiency of the unit; highly recommend the installer and most important, unit. On to the picture windows next! Please continue to share your experiences with window film.
Old 06-28-2020, 09:42 AM
Sage
Thanked 14,037 Times in 5,329 Posts

Quote:
Great input.......and getting good information. KALOS (352-243-7088) installed our split Mitsubishi on Friday and wow, can't say enough about how great their service was and that we are loving the efficiency of the unit; highly recommend the installer and most important, unit. On to the picture windows next! Please continue to share your experiences with window film.
We are considering doing this but only after we are comfortable having workmen in our house.

I like having our lanai my favorite wife would like to convert it to Florida room and tells me I could always open the windows.

Do people actually open windows after the conversion? I am thinking we will not.
Old 06-28-2020, 12:43 PM
Veteran member

The Solar Guys are terrific. Very highly rated company here.

I got the reflective/mirrored film in my previous house, which had a street-facing lanai with louvered windows. Passers by could not see in during the day, but it does present a somewhat closed-off appearance from the street. That was one little hotbox and tinting was only minimally helpful with heat reduction.
Old 06-28-2020, 12:58 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,317 Times in 871 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu from NYC View Post
We are considering doing this but only after we are comfortable having workmen in our house.

I like having our lanai my favorite wife would like to convert it to Florida room and tells me I could always open the windows.

Do people actually open windows after the conversion? I am thinking we will not.
We also screened in the entrance in the front of the house. We changed our lanai to a Florida room with sliding windows. We open the windows and the front door and let the breezes flow through. If you have room, consider a small birdcage or patio with access from the room, best of both worlds and both should be pleased.

Message me if you are interested in seeing it at some point.

Berks County Pennsylvania
Old 06-28-2020, 01:10 PM

I am guessing the tinting is applied to the inside of the glass to prevent damage from storms, flying birds, squirrels that climb the screens, etc. Am I correct? Does the tinting material hold up well to normal cleaning? Obviously asking the contractors is good for getting answers but getting answers from people that are living with the product can achieve more realistic data points.
Old 06-28-2020, 01:17 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

We are looking at factory tint when we enclose
Old 06-28-2020, 01:22 PM
Sage
Thanked 14,037 Times in 5,329 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoMar View Post
We also screened in the entrance in the front of the house. We changed our lanai to a Florida room with sliding windows. We open the windows and the front door and let the breezes flow through. If you have room, consider a small birdcage or patio with access from the room, best of both worlds and both should be pleased.

Message me if you are interested in seeing it at some point.
Front entrance has a screen so we have done that from time to time.

Waiting for virus to go away and than will seriously consider. Thanks for the offer might take you up on it down the road a bit.
Old 06-28-2020, 06:22 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by asianthree View Post
We are looking at factory tint when we enclose
We have factory tint. https://scontent-mia3-2.xx.fbcdn.net...fd&oe=5F1D9200

Here is a picture of the lanai with the blinds drawn.

And here is one looking out to the pool;
https://scontent-mia3-2.xx.fbcdn.net...27&oe=5F1F0C10
Old 06-28-2020, 06:47 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,152 Times in 1,326 Posts

we installed a window darkening treatment in a home that we had in Ft Lauderdale...the FL room faced south. It lowered the temperature dramatically by blocking the sun's rays

during the day, it was impossible to see in...at night it didn't add any filter at all and it was like plain glass

so...do you want to keep the heat from the sun out, or have total privacy....that will help you decide what you need to do

good luck
Old 06-29-2020, 04:32 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by davem4616 View Post
we installed a window darkening treatment in a home that we had in Ft Lauderdale...the FL room faced south. It lowered the temperature dramatically by blocking the sun's rays

during the day, it was impossible to see in...at night it didn't add any filter at all and it was like plain glass

so...do you want to keep the heat from the sun out, or have total privacy....that will help you decide what you need to do

good luck
What I'm looking for is the privacy. Have shades on order but wanted to have a bit more privacy when the shades are up.
Old 06-29-2020, 05:13 AM

Quote:
What I'm looking for is the privacy. Have shades on order but wanted to have a bit more privacy when the shades are up.
Remember, if you have a newer house and you install window film, it will void the 10 yr window warranty. Windows rated low-E already have a film on them. When you add additional film, the heat on the glass is multiplied. We had several of our windows loose their seal and fog up after 3-4 years of having film on them. We had the film removed because of this problem.
Closed Thread

Tags
lanai, privacy, tinting, window, heat

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.