Lanai expansion suggestions needed

Closed Thread
Old 10-09-2016, 09:02 AM
Default Lanai expansion suggestions needed

We are planning to expand our enclosed lanai about 10 feet and already have two estimates. Often times after completing a renovation one thinks of things they would change if they had to do it again. We would appreciate any suggestions you may have for our expansion such as types of windows, air conditioning, flooring, lighting, outlets, etc.
Thanks.
Old 10-09-2016, 09:24 AM
Sage
Thanked 6,127 Times in 2,240 Posts

Assuming you have done your homework with ARC for approval, you might consider:
If this is actually a lanai expansion and being enclosed, it is my understanding that there are specific requirements for additional electrical receptacles, also, when I looked into this in the past (a previous thread), there were DIFFERENT requirements for floor height based on the original house construction. I called the building department, and spoke with them for almost 1/2 hour and was more confused then when I started, but I had at least an understading of the questions to ask going forward. Removal of the sliders gets into this also, and all of this requires permits, you should NEVER pull the permits, your contractor(s) need to do this.

Since we have no idea what your contractors are proposing, or if they have covered all the above concerns.
I would have additional receptacles at every new post. Think about where you are going to put your TV, and arrange for cable and power to this location. We had ours installed about 6 feet off the floor so the wires are behind the TV when it is hung on the wall. Make sure you have sufficient drains installed if you plan on occasionally having the windows open, so you have a way to get rid of the water from an occasional passing storm. If you plan on having the area tiled, you may need to have the OLD finish removed so that the new tile will have a suitable surface to be bonded to. The tile should have a crack suppressant barrier installed, the new concrete will crack, and it will move with respect to the original house foundation, if you do not do this you will probably get cracks in your new tile. Get the highest grade windows you can afford, and make sure they have suitable coatings to reduce solar gain. You will need adequate insulation in the original lanai and the new addition.
If I think of anything else, I will add comments later.
Hope this helps, and good luck with your addition.
Old 10-09-2016, 09:47 AM

Thanks for the information. We are aware of the ARC regulations and plan to have our contractor take care of the permits. Because we plan to have engineered hardwood floors throughout the house except for bathrooms, one company recommended laying the new hardwood over existing tile and old hardwood as they are not damaged. Another company advises against it. Any thoughts?
Old 10-09-2016, 10:29 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,742 Times in 703 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celebrator View Post
Thanks for the information. We are aware of the ARC regulations and plan to have our contractor take care of the permits. Because we plan to have engineered hardwood floors throughout the house except for bathrooms, one company recommended laying the new hardwood over existing tile and old hardwood as they are not damaged. Another company advises against it. Any thoughts?
There is no reason engineered hardwood cannot be installed over tile or wood, as long as what will now become the substrate is in good condition. Keep in mind if you choose this method, your new flooring will be slightly higher.
Old 10-09-2016, 10:51 AM

Thanks for your reply. It certainly will be less expensive but most of all eliminates the huge mess of tearing up the tile.
Old 10-09-2016, 12:11 PM
Sage

See my comment on the other thread, you will lose clearance to get the dishwasher out when it fails, and you will need to remove the hardwood flooring.
Old 10-09-2016, 12:17 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celebrator View Post
IMHO, I would not lay the new floor over the old one as you are going to have clearance problems. Also, with this type of installation the installer usually just installs quarter round along the walls, we do not like the look.

Also, if the new flooring is not installed under the refrigerator you will have lots of problems getting it out over the hump of the new flooring.
This approach is cheaper and quicker installation, but will have future problems that you (the home owner) will need to contend with.
Hope this helps.
Old 10-09-2016, 01:25 PM
Sage

If it was my decision, I'd go ahead with tearing up the old tile, no matter how unpleasant it seems. The contractor can put up visqueen to contain most of the mess, and you'll be happier in the long run with a job done correctly.
Old 10-09-2016, 07:36 PM

Again, thanks for the advise. I am still gathering information regarding the floors and lanai extension. The comments and suggestions you all have provided are very helpful. Any other suggestions would be appreciated.
Old 10-10-2016, 07:25 AM
Sage
Location: the villages since 04. Lived in Alaska, Texas, California, Massachusetts, Maine, Maryland, New York
Thanked 7,003 Times in 1,202 Posts

Be sure to check with Seniors Against Crime in Lady Lake before hiring a contractor. There are many with lots of complaints against them, one even has 25 is still expanding lanais.
Old 10-10-2016, 08:18 AM

Thanks for the reminder. I will do that.
Old 10-10-2016, 11:16 AM
Sage

You might also want electrical and plumbing connections to one area of the lanai, in case you want to put a water feature there.
Old 10-10-2016, 12:10 PM

If you haven't gotten an estimate from Demetri Homes you should give Jim Arvanitis a call. They put an addition on our home and I can't sing their praises enough! They have been in business for over 20 years and they suggested things that I never would have thought of.
Average minds discuss events.
Small minds discuss people.

Eleanor Roosevelt
Old 10-10-2016, 01:21 PM
Bosoxfan

Have you thought of tile that looks like a wood floor. We had laminate in our first home here and although beautiful leaving a window open while we slept at night was something we couldn't do in fear of getting the floor wet!! In the home we have now our enclosed lanai has a beachy looking tile floor that looks like a bleached out wood plank floor and we love it!! I love not having to worry about leaving a window open or the lanai open without anything getting wet...Just a thought!
Old 01-19-2017, 03:05 PM
Veteran member
Location: Chicago, Arlington Hgts, North Aurora, Il. TV since 2002!

We did that last year a high end laminate over a bad time job! Yes it was slightly higher no one noticed . It turned out great and less expensive and cleaner!
Closed Thread

Tags
lanai, expansion, suggestions, lighting, flooring

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.