Remodeling kitchen island

Closed Thread
Old 07-14-2019, 08:13 PM
Veteran member
Default Remodeling kitchen island

Has anyone remodeled a c-shaped island with two tiers (in a Lantana or similar kitchen) by having the cabinet cut down and a new countertop installed, ending up with a single level surface? (See pics.) If so, who did you have do it? Did you run into any unexpected issues during the project? Any comments on the final result?

Thanks in advance for your help.

kathy

The Villages Florida
Old 07-14-2019, 08:17 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,121 Times in 2,237 Posts

I am guessing you need another location for any electrical outlets, or you just give these up.
Old 07-14-2019, 09:03 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagetinker View Post
I am guessing you need another location for any electrical outlets, or you just give these up.
Yes, there are four (three outlets and the garbage disposal switch, I think), and I could easily live without two of the outlets (assuming building codes will let me give them up). The other two would have to be moved to the wall to the right.

k.
Old 07-15-2019, 05:47 AM

I assume you have the common island like in the Amarillo or new named model of? And want to convert or replace that with one that looks like the photos you have?
Old 07-15-2019, 08:21 AM
Sage
Thanked 6,121 Times in 2,237 Posts

I just noticed the one picture had an outlet at the end of the cabinets, which could be useful, you might consider this option. Also, if code allows, we had the garbage disposal switch located below the sink, behind the door, this might be an option that would eliminate a lot of electrical work. We contacted home warranty for the name of the company that did the original stone counter top and used them to match and install stone counter tops on some new cabinets I had installed (myself). One other item to consider, I built a moveable island (back up north) that was the same height as the typical kitchen counter height. We had a hard time finding suitable chairs, I eventually had to buy bar height, and then cut them down for counter height.
Good luck with your project.
Old 07-15-2019, 09:41 AM
Veteran member

Bar stools actually come in two heights. In the past I have had no trouble finding counter height stools online.

k.
Closed Thread

Tags
kitchen, island, run, issues, unexpected

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.