Replace anti siphon vacuum break on outside spigot

Closed Thread
Old 01-19-2022, 05:56 PM
Default Replace anti siphon vacuum break on outside spigot

Simple job if the set screw did not need to be drilled out ! looking for recommendations for a handyman for the job. I have the replacement part and a non breakaway set screw to replace the the useless breakaway set screw .
Old 01-19-2022, 06:15 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,445 Times in 580 Posts

I had the same problem and just used a vise grip to remove the anti symphony valve minimal damage to threads. Replaced valve omitted set screw no leaks
Old 01-20-2022, 12:09 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,921 Times in 2,447 Posts

The set screw made to break off when tighten. it soft metal and can be easily drilled out ( use center punch in center and so the drill bit won’t want to walk) But like Dana said just twist it off, but, make sure you hold valve body so you don’t break connection inside the outside wall if you do it yourself. If not any plumber can fix it.
Old 01-20-2022, 07:34 AM

I installed a shutoff valve between the vacuum and hose. turn it off before shutting off spigot prevents the spray
Old 03-02-2022, 04:52 AM
Veteran member

I have removed a few of these that were frozen on there with mineral deposits. Do not put a big wrench and twist, you can damage the supply pipe. Even drilling out the set screw often doesn't do much.

I found it easier to use a rasp bit and just dremel it off entirely. Cut both sides and peel it off. Just be cautious not to damage the the threads on the hose bib.
Old 03-02-2022, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMEZARIC3 View Post
Simple job if the set screw did not need to be drilled out ! looking for recommendations for a handyman for the job. I have the replacement part and a non breakaway set screw to replace the the useless breakaway set screw .
Ok, would someone explain to me about this anti siphon valve for the outdoor hose bib.
Never heard of this before.
Old 03-02-2022, 07:53 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,678 Times in 5,230 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catalina36 View Post
Ok, would someone explain to me about this anti siphon valve for the outdoor hose bib.
Never heard of this before.
The plumbing code requires an outside hose bibb to have a vacuum breaker attached to it to prevent water from flowing backwards into the house and possibly contaminating the potable drinking water. This can happen when you attach a garden hose to the hose bibb and, for some reason, a negative pressure is created in the water pipe. The vacuum breaker is attached to the threaded hose bibb and secured by a set screw that is designed so that the vacuum breaker cannot be removed without damaging the set screw or the threads. Some people want to remove the vacuum breaker to prevent the occasional water splash that you get when you turn off the hose bibb. One way to minimize the splash is to make sure the hose sprayer is open when you turn off the hose bibb.
Old 04-20-2022, 10:28 AM

The anti-siphon (vacuum breaker) valves that are used on hose bibb (mandatory per code) are a complete nuisance; questionable purpose & functionality. It's not so much the pressure relief spray you get when turning off the spigot, which can be avoided. It's the excessive water leakage gushing out out all 3 of them on our home, whenever water is turned on. I've had one spigot replaced by plumber when he undated our water main valve, I requested he not install an anti-siphon & was told it was code. He gave me the anti-siphon valve and said it would need to be installed if we were to sell our house. The other two malfunctioning leakers are on the "to-go" list...major water wasters.

Question with boldness
Hold to the truth
Speak without fear

"Too soon old...too late smart"
Old 04-20-2022, 12:48 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,131 Times in 811 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfer222 View Post
turn it off before shutting off spigot prevents the spray
This is the reason my wife had me remove ours.
She would always get spayed water her flowers.
Old 05-07-2022, 10:14 AM

if you were to use one of hose chemical sprayers, it keeps the chemicals from backing up into the house water supply.. Just leave the nozzle open when you shut off the water and you shouldn't get a spray back
Old 06-07-2022, 10:29 AM

I have wrestled with this for several year. Search YouTube for "Dremel cutting tool and cut off the vacuum breaker". Do not install the new one with the breakaway set screw, Buy a 5mm stainless set screw and use it instead. It will not rust and can easily be removed when you have to replace the breaker in about 5 years. These fail about every 5 years. There are other YouTubes to drill out the set screw or use a hacksaw but the dremel appears the easiest. I'll try it when I get back to Florida.
Closed Thread

Tags
screw, set, replace, job, breakaway

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.