Replacing my 25 year old a/c and heat

Closed Thread
Old 06-01-2019, 07:13 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,095 Times in 374 Posts

Someone mentioned that with a one day installation, that they would wait until their unit failed. That makes you run the risk of having no AC while you shop for the best deal sign a contract, wait for the contracted unit to become available and then get scheduled for the one day event.
Old 06-01-2019, 09:08 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,254 Times in 425 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerry Azz View Post
As for replacing my 25 year old unit as I stated it worked flawlessly and it had no leaks, this gave me an opportunity to shop different a/c companies in the area.
Quotes were all different and a couple of them were ridiculously higher on lesser systems. The reason my system still performed as well as it did was it had its annual checkup. I ended up going with Holiday a/c because they serviced it and their quote was the best I got. I went with a Bryant 16seer dual stage system which was more than I probably needed and that came with a 10 year parts and 5 year labor warranty, Something the other companies wanted to charge me extra for.
Hi, what is a dual stage?
Old 06-01-2019, 09:26 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,668 Times in 529 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Englander View Post
Basically the compressor has a high and low. It usually runs on low on mild days, unless the temps outside call for more cooling inside, then it runs high. More efficient
One stage just runs at one setting, less efficient
At least that's with my limited knowledge
Steve
Old 06-01-2019, 09:41 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,697 Times in 5,235 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Englander View Post
Basically, there are 3 types of AC units: one stage, two stage, and variable speed, with variable speed being the most expensive. With the two stage and variable speed units, the compressor can operate at different levels of cooling. However, I don't think most people will notice the difference among the different units cooling ability, or the energy savings. And, multi speed AC units have never seemed to catch on as a standard product in single family houses. The majority of AC units sold are one stage units. If I were buying a new system, I would purchase a one stage unit.
Old 06-01-2019, 10:25 AM
Sage

Yep, that is pretty much it. I had a two-speed compressor system, with variable speed air handler and 4 zones, in a previous home (Carrier Infinity was two-speed Bristol compressor). It worked great. Most of the time it ran at half speed. The advantages are efficiency and better humidity control. With a single speed compressor, the system will cycle on and off. With a two speed, or variable speed compressor, you will have much longer runtimes in low speed. It is easier on the compressor to run continuously as opposed to cycling on and off. Also, cycling on and off is less efficient than running continuously in low speed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anothersteve View Post
Basically the compressor has a high and low. It usually runs on low on mild days, unless the temps outside call for more cooling inside, then it runs high. More efficient
One stage just runs at one setting, less efficient
At least that's with my limited knowledge
Steve
Old 06-01-2019, 03:40 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,254 Times in 425 Posts

Thanks for the info.
Closed Thread

Tags
system, installed, day, year, decided

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.