Roofing Companies

Closed Thread
Old 11-13-2020, 10:12 AM

McHale Roofing was excellent. We would recommend them without any hesitation. Our roof was completed in a day and a half and everything was cleaned up completely. They are wonderful people to work with.
Old 11-13-2020, 10:55 AM

so your roof was replaced under warrantee?
Old 11-13-2020, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pairadocs View Post
Before retiring and moving to the V's, taught at a central Florida university. Never used them but heard nothing but good about Eustis roofing... seemed to be THE choice of area residents who are native Floridians, however, it is ALL in the techniques used. What nail strips are used and how MANY nails for foot... there are many less expensive strips "they" all will tell you are "just fine". Also, HOW the valleys are done, many short cuts. EDUCATE yourself first by finding out exactly what the BEST techniques are... don't count on any company selling you a roof to educate you ! ASK a RETIRED life long roofer, they know ALL the tricks and short cuts you'll pay for LATER !
Thank you for the useful information, I really appreciate it.
Old 11-13-2020, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisherman View Post
How did you know that your roof was one of those with the defective product? Did the original roofers have to replace, did you have to file with your insurance to pay, did Villages Warranty have to pay or did you? How long was the process from determination to completion?
Our roof is almost 20 years old 2002 was when our house was built. This year our insurance raised and haven't received the bill for next years as I am sure it will raise even more than last year. I am trying to find recommendations for a roofing company and options available. We currently live in Illinois and have a Metal Roof that is approximately 13 years old and other than fading no problems and this is with us installing ourselves. But its a fairly easy roof unlike our house in the villages with so many different angles etc.
Old 11-13-2020, 11:20 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,077 Times in 2,744 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cndlou3 View Post
Has anyone ever used Eustis Roofing, McHale Roofing or Claremont Roofing Companies? If so can you give me some feedback on any of them? Our insurance agent recommended these companies. Also is The ARC allowing Metal Roofs to be put on instead of shingled. I know that it has to be submitted to the ARC for approval but I didn't want to try to submit it if it would just get rejected. They have metal now that looks a lot like shingles I believe they are called architectural but not positive. Since insurance companies are saying that roofs need to be replaced if they are 20 years old and if we went with a Metal Roof they are guaranteed for a lot longer than 20 years. We want a one and done Roof. Yes I understand that Florida is supposedly the lightening capital of the world but you can prevent lightening strikes on a metal roof also. If anyone could help it would be great.
FYI. I was considering a metal roof, but when I called T&D and asked if the solar system on our roof, that heats our pool, could be removed and re-installed on a metal roof, they told me they would not install solar on a metal roof.
Old 11-13-2020, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by richs631 View Post
Metal roofing is very load in the house when it rains and it rains a lot in Florida
We have a Metal Roof on our house here in Illinois and yes you can hear the rain but not horribly. The insulation really helps with the noise. I actually will go sit on our porch sometimes since it is covered also just to listen to the rain and the metal roof.
Old 11-13-2020, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip View Post
Ditto. McHale actually came in under our insurance estimate, which didn't save me any money since I just paid the deductible. My roof was 21 years old. Nice job except that I find nails in my driveway and in my gutters months after the job was finished. Get them to do a magnetic sweep of the roof, all gutters, yard and DRIVEWAY/WALKWAYS before they get paid. Putting a mechanics lean on your house until they get paid is common practice in Florida.

Beware of Orlando roofers that want you to sign an AGREEMENT first so they can "fight for you" with your insurance adjuster. The fine print says, 'if you don't use us in the end, you still owe us 20% of the entire job value for our time and effort'. They really don't give you a firm quote either. BEWARE AND STAY AWAY!

Use local roofers.

Skip
This will not be paid for by insurance. Our roof has age on it and needs replaced, according to insurance company. No leaks or anything so we will be paying the bill ourselves.
Old 11-13-2020, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tophcfa View Post
FYI. I was considering a metal roof, but when I called T&D and asked if the solar system on our roof, that heats our pool, could be removed and re-installed on a metal roof, they told me they would not install solar on a metal roof.
We do not have a pool and won't be getting one so we won't need solar on the roof.
Old 11-13-2020, 12:59 PM

As a retired contractor that has installed over 1,500 roofs, I would like to offer the following:
1.) The average life of a shingle roof in the USA is 14 years. After 20 years in the Florida sun, shingle failure is imminent. Insurance companies know this and also know it is far cheaper for them to pay for replacement now rather than pay for replacement and all of the costs associated with a significant water intrusion event
2.) The lifetime manufacturers warranty is to give you warm fuzzies. The manufacturer's warranty only covers manufacturing defects. They do not cover installation issues, which accounts for almost all premature failures. In the past ten years, I only know of one roof that was replaced by the manufacturer's warranty unless a class action lawsuit was involved.
3.) The metal roof will probably last longer but it could sustain considerable damaged in a major hail event. The paint may still be intact, but your roof could be full of dimples. Of course, hail damage to a metal roof is excluded by the metal manufacturer. In other words, do not buy a metal roof because it will last longer, buy it because you like it better than a shingle roof.
4.) I personally have owned a house with both types of roofing materials. Each roofing systems has its merits and also some downsides. I strongly belief their simply is not a perfect roofing material that will last fifty years.
Old 11-13-2020, 02:45 PM
Default Metal roof

I think there are metal roofs installed after tornado in area around Mallory. Don't know if that will count on getting approval
Old 11-13-2020, 06:39 PM
Default Eustis Roofing

Eustis Roofing just did our roof Great company. Would be pleased to recommend them
Old 11-13-2020, 09:40 PM

I can recommend McHale roofing. I had shingles replaced on 2 homes this year. Had different crews on the jobs but both were very efficient. did a great job and cleaned up when job was complete. Arrived on agreed time and completed jobs in one day. Made necessary repairs to damaged areas and competitive priced with Eustis roofing.
Old 11-13-2020, 10:22 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,714 Times in 5,243 Posts

In my opinion, the best thing to do is to install the standard asphalt shingle roof like the vast majority of homeowners do in The Villages. The potential advantages of a metal roof are not significant enough to deviate from the standard practice and risk unknown issues. Just my opinion.
Old 11-14-2020, 06:05 AM

Certified Roofing is excellent.
Old 11-16-2020, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
In my opinion, the best thing to do is to install the standard asphalt shingle roof like the vast majority of homeowners do in The Villages. The potential advantages of a metal roof are not significant enough to deviate from the standard practice and risk unknown issues. Just my opinion.
What unknown issues would you be referring to? Just curious on your experience of any issues you might of had.

Tags
roofing, companies, metal, roof, lightening

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.