Screwed by Patriot Pools & Spas

Closed Thread
Old 10-28-2022, 10:36 AM
Default Screwed by Patriot Pools & Spas

I requested a quote from Patriot Pools and Spas for the installation of a pool heater and to re-grout the tiles. They called me with a price which I though was reasonable so I authorized and scheduled the work. The two man crew came out as scheduled and performed the work. At the end of the day grout looked good and the gas fired heater was set in place but not operational. The crew informed my wife that the heater was not operational because the natural gas feed was not hooked up because "they are not the gas company". I was never told by Patriot that the gas hook up work was not included in the quote and that price was not for a turn key job.

So now what appeared to be a reasonable price quote is far from being reasonable because I need to hire a Plumbing Contractor to run a gas line to the heater and hire an Electrical Contractor to install a grounding system for the new gas line.
Old 10-28-2022, 10:56 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,939 Times in 5,278 Posts

Did you get the quote in writing or ask if after the work was done you would have heat?
Old 10-28-2022, 11:24 AM

Stu quote was verbal over the phone. Typically in the Construction industry furnish and installs means fully operational at the completion of the installation.
Old 10-28-2022, 11:31 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,307 Times in 2,026 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu from NYC View Post
Did you get the quote in writing or ask if after the work was done you would have heat?
It wouldn't have occurred to me to ask if the heater that I just paid for would heat the pool after the installers were finished installing it.

There was definitely a lack of communication somewhere. I can understand why Patriot may not be licensed to install the gas lines but they certainly should have advised the OP up front that the separate work was needed. I would also have expected them to help coordinate the additional contractors required to complete the job.

Perhaps Patriot did this (or tried to) and there was just a misunderstanding.

Victor, NY
Randallstown, MD
Yakima, WA
Stevensville, MD
Village of Hillsborough
Old 10-28-2022, 12:55 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,689 Times in 1,205 Posts

I had to manage safety/utility connection and permits separately on my SPA installation, but was told in advance.

Make sure appropriate permits are approved and posted before the remaining work is started.
Old 10-28-2022, 02:06 PM
Platinum member
Location: Here, there, a lot of time in the Caribbean and keys, not much time spent in cold climates
Thanked 1,730 Times in 738 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by John1959 View Post
I requested a quote from Patriot Pools and Spas for the installation of a pool heater and to re-grout the tiles. They called me with a price which I though was reasonable so I authorized and scheduled the work. The two man crew came out as scheduled and performed the work. At the end of the day grout looked good and the gas fired heater was set in place but not operational. The crew informed my wife that the heater was not operational because the natural gas feed was not hooked up because "they are not the gas company". I was never told by Patriot that the gas hook up work was not included in the quote and that price was not for a turn key job.

So now what appeared to be a reasonable price quote is far from being reasonable because I need to hire a Plumbing Contractor to run a gas line to the heater and hire an Electrical Contractor to install a grounding system for the new gas line.
Understand that must have been quite a shock. We've found you must be so careful here...anywhere of course, but we've found Florida to be one of the most that draws "shady" and even out right criminal trades people, "businesses", etc. People are told so much false information concerning things like "legally required" down payments in cash, etc. all kinds of scams and schemes. Doubt that NOT going the extra mile to make sure a customer understands there will be additional costs is a legal requirement, but it would certainly be a sign of a very above board business. We've found what seemed like very reliable and honest people who also were recommended by personal friends, in several trades, but before agreeing (in one instance to a tree removal) we went the extra step to check the insurance and state license numbers CLEARLY displayed on their vehicles. Turns out, numbers were 100% legit, but the business had NOT renewed their licenses for over 3 years and no longer carried the insurance states on their vans and business card. Just shows, you really can't judge a place on a legitimate looking appearance. Same with contracts, so full of loopholes it pays to at least have someone, if only a trusted friend, examine it, even if you don't want to go to the expense of an attorney for a relatively small job, most of us can't afford that... and businesses KNOW it...
Old 10-28-2022, 02:51 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,420 Times in 5,110 Posts

Something doesn't sound right about this thread. A contractor gave you a price over the phone to re-grout tiles and to run a gas line without looking at the tiles or measuring the distance or location for the gas line? I cannot imagine a contractor providing a price for that type of work without looking at the project.
Old 10-28-2022, 03:13 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
Something doesn't sound right about this thread. A contractor gave you a price over the phone to re-grout tiles and to run a gas line without looking at the tiles or measuring the distance or location for the gas line? I cannot imagine a contractor providing a price for that type of work without looking at the project.
Now that you mention it a very strange way to do business
Old 10-28-2022, 04:00 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,537 Times in 1,461 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by John1959 View Post

Have paid them? Have your discussed this failure to complete the job with them. Have you reason to believe that they should be reported to the BBB? Have you consulted an attorney or considered small claims court?
Old 10-28-2022, 04:05 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,371 Times in 817 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdpaq0580 View Post
Have paid them? Have your discussed this failure to complete the job with them. Have you reason to believe that they should be reported to the BBB? Have you consulted an attorney or considered small claims court?
No contract detailing the work to be done. Commitment on a phone call. 2 huge mistakes by the homeowner. The BBB has no value.
Old 10-28-2022, 06:08 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSR22 View Post
No contract detailing the work to be done. Commitment on a phone call. 2 huge mistakes by the homeowner. The BBB has no value.
Assuming the job cost several thousand dollars how do you not get it in writing? Now it is a he said/she said.
Old 10-29-2022, 04:40 AM

I just received a "I See The Light" letter from Patriot Pool and Spa stating that "their performance over the last 18 months has been completely unacceptable", and they are going to clean up their act. We'll see.
Probably not properly explained, I would not expect a pool company to do gas or electrical work.
Old 10-29-2022, 04:59 AM
Gold member

You were not screwed by them… you just did not do your homework or ask the right questions. Agree they should have told you that the gas line hook-up would need to be done by others.
Old 10-29-2022, 05:12 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,566 Times in 922 Posts

At least you got a call back from them.
When my free service was over, i got 1 call from them, went to voicemail.
I tried to call them for 3 weeks, to sign up for service. Finally talked with someone, they said we will call you back. 2 weeks later got a call back.

By then, i was committed to another pool company.
Old 10-29-2022, 05:45 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,420 Times in 5,110 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oneiric View Post
I just received a "I See The Light" letter from Patriot Pool and Spa stating that "their performance over the last 18 months has been completely unacceptable", and they are going to clean up their act. We'll see.
Probably not properly explained, I would not expect a pool company to do gas or electrical work.
Well, here are two quotes from their website:

"We can install lights, filters, pumps, and more for your pool and/or spa."

"If any part of your pool or spa is broken, we can fix it."
Closed Thread

Tags
gas, heater, reasonable, work, price

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.