Screwed by Patriot Pools & Spas

Closed Thread
Old 10-29-2022, 05:53 AM
Platinum member
Default Dont look a gift heater in the mouth

Quote:
Originally Posted by john1959 View Post
i requested a quote from patriot pools and spas for the installation of a pool heater and to re-grout the tiles. They called me with a price which i though was reasonable so i authorized and scheduled the work. The two man crew came out as scheduled and performed the work. At the end of the day grout looked good and the gas fired heater was set in place but not operational. The crew informed my wife that the heater was not operational because the natural gas feed was not hooked up because "they are not the gas company". I was never told by patriot that the gas hook up work was not included in the quote and that price was not for a turn key job.

So now what appeared to be a reasonable price quote is far from being reasonable because i need to hire a plumbing contractor to run a gas line to the heater and hire an electrical contractor to install a grounding system for the new gas line.
i know this issue hurts you. On the bright side your safety is assured rather than at the mercy of unprofessional personell.
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20221029_065303.jpg
Views:	514
Size:	54.0 KB
ID:	95608  
Old 10-29-2022, 06:20 AM
Location: Lived in MD, SC, DE, PA, VA, CA, Italy, Spain, USNS Comfort & Mercy...moved from New Mexico
Default Hook ups for pool heater

Quote:
Originally Posted by John1959 View Post
I requested a quote from Patriot Pools and Spas for the installation of a pool heater and to re-grout the tiles. They called me with a price which I though was reasonable so I authorized and scheduled the work. The two man crew came out as scheduled and performed the work. At the end of the day grout looked good and the gas fired heater was set in place but not operational. The crew informed my wife that the heater was not operational because the natural gas feed was not hooked up because "they are not the gas company". I was never told by Patriot that the gas hook up work was not included in the quote and that price was not for a turn key job.

So now what appeared to be a reasonable price quote is far from being reasonable because I need to hire a Plumbing Contractor to run a gas line to the heater and hire an Electrical Contractor to install a grounding system for the new gas line.
I've never had any type of work done w/o getting a written estimate prior to beginning the work. It ensures understanding on both sides & reduces problems in the long run. In years gone by, a verbal quote was good enough & vendors stood by what they said.

My dad was an attorney in the mid 50's and often met with opposing counsel to discuss the issues in a lawsuit. Most times they came to an agreement, shook hands and paper work followed. This went on til late 70's when a handshake was no longer one's bond or honor.

I think what you experienced was unfortunate, but w/o a written estimate/contract you don't have a leg to stand on, in my humble experience. "Once burned, twice shy!"
Old 10-29-2022, 06:20 AM

Quote:
Stu quote was verbal over the phone. Typically in the Construction industry furnish and installs means fully operational at the completion of the installation.
“Over the phone”
It appears that you had a misunderstanding about the contractor’s scope of work. A misunderstanding over scope of work is not the contractors fault.

It is best to get scope of work for construction in writing to reduce misunderstandings.
Old 10-29-2022, 06:21 AM
Platinum member
Question

Hard to believe OP didn't have a written contract. Understand Patriot is going through some problems since new ownership from T&D pool.
Old 10-29-2022, 06:32 AM
Send a message via AIM to joelfmi

If it is too cheap to be true it is obviously true.
Old 10-29-2022, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNLAKEPANDA View Post
You were not screwed by them… you just did not do your homework or ask the right questions. Agree they should have told you that the gas line hook-up would need to be done by others.
This probably what happened and the sales person for whatever reason forgot to go over this part of the project.

One thing i've learned living here in Florida over the past year is you have to do your homework and fully understand the project you are undertaking and ask the right questions.

You can't call a up a company, even a reputable one and just say "do this for us" and assume everything is covered. Never assume.
Old 10-29-2022, 07:38 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,131 Times in 417 Posts
Default Oh, How Many Times…

…. have I responded to posts like this saying call T&D Pool & Spa. Without question you’ll have to wait a little longer, and their price probably won’t be the cheapest. But the job will get done totally to your satisfaction. They have a simple policy — they never want to have a dissatisfied customer, never!
Old 10-29-2022, 08:31 AM

To clarify things Patriots pools presently services my pool and was asked for a quote to re-grout and install a gas fired water heater. They sent someone from their service department over to my house to inspect the tile work and existing pool equipment. A Patriot representative called me to give me the estimate and asked if I'd like to schedule the work. The fact that the heater would not be fully operational upon completion of the work was never mentioned.
Old 10-29-2022, 08:57 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,595 Times in 5,192 Posts

Quote:
To clarify things Patriots pools presently services my pool and was asked for a quote to re-grout and install a gas fired water heater. They sent someone from their service department over to my house to inspect the tile work and existing pool equipment. A Patriot representative called me to give me the estimate and asked if I'd like to schedule the work. The fact that the heater would not be fully operational upon completion of the work was never mentioned.
That makes more sense. But, assuming the gas line is located near the heater, you should be able to find a handyman, plumber, or your gas company who can connect the gas and electric for about $100 or so. That is what the Leesburg gas company charges for a gas hook up.
Old 10-29-2022, 09:04 AM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,753 Times in 3,629 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villages Kahuna View Post
…. But the job will get done totally to your satisfaction. They have a simple policy — they never want to have a dissatisfied customer, never!
Policy is not reality.

T&D is terrible.

They install pools nicely when working for The Villages, but direct work for Villagers have significant issues.
Old 10-29-2022, 09:10 AM

My experiences have always been (and I've built many pools ) pool company never does gas line for heater
Old 10-29-2022, 09:14 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by GmaLisaG View Post
My experiences have always been (and I've built many pools ) pool company never does gas line for heater
There are companies that won't do a natural gas hook up for any appliance because of the liability. That is why many of the gas companies offer the service.

But, this is something that the contractor should have told the OP.
Old 10-29-2022, 09:30 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
That makes more sense. But, assuming the gas line is located near the heater, you should be able to find a handyman, plumber, or your gas company who can connect the gas and electric for about $100 or so. That is what the Leesburg gas company charges for a gas hook up.
A “handyman” cannot legally do the gas installation/hookup. It has to be done by a licensed plumber with certification to work on gas lines . Not all plumbers have that needed training/certification.

When I added a natural gas grill, I hired Mike Scott Plumbing to install a quick disconnect coupler and shut off . Although the job was simple and I could have done it myself, I chose that route for home owner’s insurance purposes….
Old 10-29-2022, 09:43 AM
Default T and D Better

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villages Kahuna View Post
…. have I responded to posts like this saying call T&D Pool & Spa. Without question you’ll have to wait a little longer, and their price probably won’t be the cheapest. But the job will get done totally to your satisfaction. They have a simple policy — they never want to have a dissatisfied customer, never!
Actually, T and D charges LESS for a service call than Patriot: T and D charges $90, but Patriot charges $110 PLUS a $14 "mileage charge", so $90 vs. $124.
Old 10-29-2022, 10:02 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarodrig View Post
A “handyman” cannot legally do the gas installation/hookup. It has to be done by a licensed plumber with certification to work on gas lines . Not all plumbers have that needed training/certification.

When I added a natural gas grill, I hired Mike Scott Plumbing to install a quick disconnect coupler and shut off . Although the job was simple and I could have done it myself, I chose that route for home owner’s insurance purposes….
A handyman cannot do any plumbing or electrical work legally without a plumbing and electrician license. But, if they did everything legally, they would go out of business. But, as a homeowner, you can do just about any work on your own house legally.
Closed Thread

Tags
gas, heater, reasonable, work, price

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.