Screwed by Patriot Pools & Spas

Closed Thread
Old 10-29-2022, 11:28 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,714 Times in 5,243 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarodrig View Post
A “handyman” cannot legally do the gas installation/hookup. It has to be done by a licensed plumber with certification to work on gas lines . Not all plumbers have that needed training/certification.

When I added a natural gas grill, I hired Mike Scott Plumbing to install a quick disconnect coupler and shut off . Although the job was simple and I could have done it myself, I chose that route for home owner’s insurance purposes….
What special certification is needed in Florida to work on gas lines? The Florida licensing website says that a licensed plumbing contractor can work on natural gas lines:

"without obtaining any additional local regulatory license, certificate, or registration"
Old 10-29-2022, 11:39 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,779 Times in 1,242 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
What special certification is needed in Florida to work on gas lines? The Florida licensing website says that a licensed plumbing contractor can work on natural gas lines:

"without obtaining any additional local regulatory license, certificate, or registration"
61G4-15.026 : Certification of Gas Line Specialty Contractors - Florida Administrative Rules, Law, Code, Register - FAC, FAR, eRulemaking
Old 10-29-2022, 12:26 PM
Sage

That certification applies to specialty contractors that have a limited scope of work.

"A “specialty contractor” means a contractor whose scope of work and responsibility is limited to a particular phase of construction and whose scope is limited to a subset of the activities described in the categories established in s. 489.105, F.S."

According to the Florida license website, you don't need to hire a specialty gas line contractor to hook up a natural gas appliance. Here is a link to the Florida website that describes what type of work a licensed plumber can perform.

Construction Industry – MyFloridaLicense.com

Under plumbing contractors, it says that plumbers can work on natural gas pipes. Also, I don't think that Mike Scott Plumbing has a gas line specialty license. According to the Florida website, Mike Scott is a certified plumbing contractor, but not a gas line specialty contractor.

Last edited by retiredguy123; 10-29-2022 at 12:41 PM.
Old 10-29-2022, 01:07 PM
Sage

Quote:
That certification applies to specialty contractors that have a limited scope of work.

"A “specialty contractor” means a contractor whose scope of work and responsibility is limited to a particular phase of construction and whose scope is limited to a subset of the activities described in the categories established in s. 489.105, F.S."

According to the Florida license website, you don't need to hire a specialty gas line contractor to hook up a natural gas appliance. Here is a link to the Florida website that describes what type of work a licensed plumber can perform.

Construction Industry – MyFloridaLicense.com

Under plumbing contractors, it says that plumbers can work on natural gas pipes. Also, I don't think that Mike Scott Plumbing has a gas line specialty license. According to the Florida website, Mike Scott is a certified plumbing contractor, but not a gas line specialty contractor.
Thanks!

Would it make a difference ig they had to run a new gas line?
Old 10-29-2022, 01:12 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altavia View Post
Thanks!

Would it make a difference ig they had to run a new gas line?
Not sure, but I don't think so, if it is on private property.
Old 10-29-2022, 01:48 PM
Sage
Thanked 14,046 Times in 5,336 Posts

Quote:
There are companies that won't do a natural gas hook up for any appliance because of the liability. That is why many of the gas companies offer the service.

But, this is something that the contractor should have told the OP.
This whole thread is strange, wondering what the contractor would say about the verbal quote.
Old 10-29-2022, 02:34 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,480 Times in 713 Posts

A friend in Lakewood Ranch wanted a gas heater for his pool(an afterthought unfortunately). He groused about the high cost of running a gas line but there was no combined gas line/pool heater installation. Two separate entities.

The first question the
Patriot rep should have asked was do you have an existing gas heater? A no answer should have prompted the information regarding the need to run a gas line.
Old 10-29-2022, 03:56 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,193 Times in 761 Posts

Any contractor that does not come out and look at the job is a red flag.
Old 10-29-2022, 05:58 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
that certification applies to specialty contractors that have a limited scope of work.

"a “specialty contractor” means a contractor whose scope of work and responsibility is limited to a particular phase of construction and whose scope is limited to a subset of the activities described in the categories established in s. 489.105, f.s."

according to the florida license website, you don't need to hire a specialty gas line contractor to hook up a natural gas appliance. Here is a link to the florida website that describes what type of work a licensed plumber can perform.

construction industry – myfloridalicense.com

under plumbing contractors, it says that plumbers can work on natural gas pipes. Also, i don't think that mike scott plumbing has a gas line specialty license. According to the florida website, mike scott is a certified plumbing contractor, but not a gas line specialty contractor.
all you need to test a gas line is a manometer attached to a fitting and the ability to isolate the lines with two tees
Old 10-29-2022, 06:59 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFlorida View Post
Any contractor that does not come out and look at the job is a red flag.
Not uncommon here since they can view the property drawings on line.
Old 10-29-2022, 08:41 PM
Sage
Thanked 14,046 Times in 5,336 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altavia View Post
Not uncommon here since they can view the property drawings on line.
But how does he know the condition of the grouting?
Old 10-30-2022, 08:17 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu from NYC View Post
But how does he know the condition of the grouting?
Good point for this instance.
Old 10-30-2022, 08:26 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,077 Times in 2,744 Posts

Ever since about six months before T&D sold off the service line of their business to Patriot Pools and Spas that business has been a complete train wreck. It went way downhill under T&D and continued to deteriorate after the sale, run away from them for your sanity. The biggest problem is finding another competent pool service company as they are all overwhelmed with the mass exodus from Patriot coupled with a shortage of labor. After a couple tries we finally found a good service company last March, but I’m not going to say who we use for fear of that Company growing beyond their ability to hire good pool technicians. The labor shortage is real, I have watched both our HVAC and Irrigation Companies grow beyond their capabilities to offer quality service after myself and others raving about them on TOTV. The Villagers has grown faster than the supply of qualified and willing workers to support the place.
Closed Thread

Tags
gas, heater, reasonable, work, price

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.