Security Cameras

Closed Thread
Old 10-21-2019, 01:44 PM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,015 Times in 273 Posts
Default Security Cameras

Recommendation for WIRED outdoor security camera system installer.

Thank for any help.
Old 10-21-2019, 03:59 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,121 Times in 2,237 Posts

Jim, be prepared for a significant cost. I have hardwired cameras, I had the wiring installed as the house was built, and even WITH THE WIRING INSTALLED, I was quoted $3500 for 4 cameras and DVR. I did my own, Sam's Club, $500, and my own used computer monitor. These came with 75 or 100 foot reels of white coax and power combination cable that I never used. IMHO, I would make this a DIY project, running the cables in the soffit to a suitable common location that you can get to in the attic. Send me a PM and we can discuss further, the cables are available if you are interested.
Old 10-21-2019, 04:11 PM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,015 Times in 273 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagetinker View Post
Jim, be prepared for a significant cost. I have hardwired cameras, I had the wiring installed as the house was built, and even WITH THE WIRING INSTALLED, I was quoted $3500 for 4 cameras and DVR. I did my own, Sam's Club, $500, and my own used computer monitor. These came with 75 or 100 foot reels of white coax and power combination cable that I never used. IMHO, I would make this a DIY project, running the cables in the soffit to a suitable common location that you can get to in the attic. Send me a PM and we can discuss further, the cables are available if you are interested.
the soffit idea is priceless. I will start shopping for a system and install it myself
Old 10-21-2019, 05:30 PM
Default Ring Alarm (not the doorbell)

After getting quotes from 3 large and reputable Villages electricians to have 2 outdoor ceiling outlets installed, I gave up on the wired camera idea (remember, unless going with a POE camera, you need electricity too) and found that for about the same price, I could buy a complete install-it-yourself security system and two wireless, battery operated cameras.

Wireless = camera location flexibility

Home Security Systems | Alarm Protection | Peace of Mind
| Ring
Old 10-21-2019, 05:34 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimJohnson View Post
the soffit idea is priceless. I will start shopping for a system and install it myself
Glad I could help.
Old 11-07-2019, 09:12 AM

I went with NEST, because it integrated with my Nest Doorbell and my Nest thermostat. Highly Recommend.
Old 11-08-2019, 09:05 AM

My primary residence in Ohio has wired security cameras with a DVR recorder. I have a similar system at my business. The cameras can be viewed on any phone, tablet or PC. The DVR records and saves videos that can be played back and viewed. The amount of recordings is limited by the size of the hard drive. Typically on my 3 TB 16 channel (camera) DVR at the office I might have 45 days of recordings. That DVR could cost upwards of $1200.

After buying our home in TV this past year my intent was to install a similar system. Researched wireless systems and decided to install Ring wireless cameras since I would be able to install these myself. I also installed the Ring security system. Ring cameras have rechargeable batteries that were lasting 30 to 45 days. I purchased a Ring solar panel and tried it on one camera. That was the answer and installed solar panels on all cameras.

The Ring does not require the DVR, Ring stores your images in the cloud. All in all it was less dollars in the end to install the Ring.

Hope this helps......
Old 11-08-2019, 01:27 PM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,754 Times in 3,629 Posts

Galaxy Home Solutions in Wildwood.
Old 11-08-2019, 01:49 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewilson58 View Post
Galaxy Home Solutions in Wildwood.
They are the firm that gave me the $3500 estimate, as they were the ones that installed the wiring when the house was built. i was very disappointed.
Old 11-08-2019, 02:51 PM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,754 Times in 3,629 Posts

Quote:
They are the firm that gave me the $3500 estimate, as they were the ones that installed the wiring when the house was built. i was very disappointed.

They have a sur-charge to electricians.

Old 11-08-2019, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Villagetinker, What brand did you use from Sam's?
Old 11-08-2019, 09:27 PM
Platinum member

Blink from Amazon
Old 11-09-2019, 08:47 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by cndlou3 View Post
Villagetinker, What brand did you use from Sam's?
Samsung, came with 4 wired cameras, DVR with capability to connect to your network for remote monitoring. Did not have a monitor, I used a spare computer monitor, and just changed over to the new TV that we installed in that room. As I recall it was around $400. I did look at the units at Harbor Freight, but the reviews were not good.
Old 11-10-2019, 07:20 AM
Veteran member

I installed two wired wyze cams outside. They are indoor cams but are under the eaves and protected. Although they are not weather proof, there is a weatherproof enclosure available if needed. Both have pan/tilt and can send warnings to my phone. I can view them on my phone and tablet. Just plug into usb and connect to your router. Todays cloud storage but more is available. Less than $100 from Amazon for both of them. Easy installation.
Closed Thread

Tags
security, installer, system, outdoor, cameras

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.