Seed pod removal from Sylvester Palm

Closed Thread
Old 03-27-2019, 05:33 AM
Default Seed pod removal from Sylvester Palm

Looking for recommendation on company for seed pod removal from sylvester palms? Thanks
Old 03-27-2019, 06:31 AM

We have been using Jose Diaz Landscaping. 352-409-8838 or 352-360-9061. Very efficient and reasonably priced.
Old 03-27-2019, 06:56 AM
Sage
Location: village of Fenney, Ford City, Pa., and Hudson, Ohio
Thanked 4,285 Times in 1,427 Posts

I was looking for the same and had an arborist come to my home. He advised against removing the seed pods even though I was quite willing to pay him to remove them. They have not been a problem, the birds are eating the seeds and so far no mess to speak of.
Old 03-27-2019, 08:22 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintageogauge View Post
I was looking for the same and had an arborist come to my home. He advised against removing the seed pods even though I was quite willing to pay him to remove them. They have not been a problem, the birds are eating the seeds and so far no mess to speak of.
Did he say why he recommended not removing the seed pods?
Old 03-27-2019, 03:54 PM

From WIKI:

Determine whether it's time to trim. Though experts recommend avoiding pruning as much as possible, there are some circumstances that call for a trim. Start by determining if you really need to prune. And remember, the less pruning you can do, the better.
Prune to remove dead or dying fronds
To remove potential fire hazards, especially near buildings or homes
To increase visibility and safety near driveways or sidewalks
To prevent damage to buildings or homes during high winds
To remove fruit, seeds and flowers
It’s generally best to wait until the spring to trim a palm. Never prune for purely cosmetic reasons or else you may risk damaging the tree.
Royal Air Force Benson, England
Eielson Air Force Base, AK, Clark AFB, Philippines
Kadena AFB, Okinawa Japan, Yakota AFB, Japan
Osan AB, Pyeongtaek, South Korea, Yangsan Army Garrison, Seoul South Korea
Old 03-27-2019, 07:40 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,996 Times in 2,197 Posts

I was told by the gentleman in charge of the villages landscaping to ONLY remove completely dead fonds, so that is what I do. Yes, you will see fonds dead at the ends still on my palms, and yes they do not look as "nice" as ones that are all green, but from what I have been able to find, mine my be healthier.

Still looking for the answer as to why NOT to remove seed pods.
Old 03-28-2019, 06:44 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,742 Times in 703 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagetinker View Post
I was told by the gentleman in charge of the villages landscaping to ONLY remove completely dead fonds, so that is what I do. Yes, you will see fonds dead at the ends still on my palms, and yes they do not look as "nice" as ones that are all green, but from what I have been able to find, mine my be healthier.

Still looking for the answer as to why NOT to remove seed pods.
Depends on the type of palm tree.

For Sylvester's, a Professor of Plant Pathology at the University of Florida/IAFS states "Those fronds are actually providing potassium to the plant. Potassium is a mobile element. The palm is removing the potassium from the oldest part of the palm, which initially are the leaf tips of the oldest leaves and moving it into the newest leaves. Ideally, we would prefer to see the dead end of the frond (leaf) removed, and leave the green portion. It will eventually become brown also, but you can then remove the rest of the leaf."
Old 03-28-2019, 08:04 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintageogauge View Post
He should come look at my car and driveway once my neighbor's palm tree starts dropping the seeds and all kinds of other detritus a little later in the season. It makes a big mess.
Old 03-28-2019, 09:09 AM
Soaring Eagle member

I have Sylvester-15/18 ft. A total mess. Too big for most tree guys to reach the seed pods. Probably need a bucket truck. Anyone have a suggestion?
Old 05-15-2019, 09:38 AM
Sage

A question for those who have Sylvester palms...has anyone found a company that will remove the seed pods? There was a truck with a lift bucket on our street yesterday and my husband talked to the operator about taking out the pods on our large Sylvester. He declined to do so because "the spines are toxic."
Old 05-15-2019, 10:21 AM

Jose Diaz!!!
Old 05-25-2019, 06:58 AM
Dancing Thyme

I used Dave from Outer Edge to trim a tall Sylvester palm. He did an excellent job and new exactly what fronds and pods to trim. He took his time and was an artisan at manicuring the diamond shape bark. Highly recommend him. 352 661 0963

Bronx ♫ Los Angeles ♫ Hadley, Sept. 08 and then the beautiful village of Mallory Square 2014

A true friend is someone who thinks that you are a good egg even though he knows that you are slightly cracked."

(For those who know me) I consider ON TIME to be when I get there.....
Closed Thread

Tags
seed, sylvester, pod, removal, palms

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.