It seems many people are "too busy" or "not interested to work."

Closed Thread
Old 01-09-2019, 07:17 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,336 Posts
Default It seems many people are "too busy" or "not interested to work."

I called 3 of the "top rated" people for quotes to have almost 1500sq ft of concrete painted/stained and only ONE even returned my call in 3 days (which fortunately was the one I actually did want to do the work and will be hired).

I also called 3 "top rated" people for quotes to epoxy my garage and also only ONE has returned my call in 3 days and was hired.

I did NOT expect the work done immediately and I did NOT expect them to come for an estimate immediately but AT LEAST RETURN MY CALL ! Very annoying. I guess everyone is very independent these days. Eventually things will change and it won't be a seller's market and these folks will be looking for us rather than vice versa.
Old 01-09-2019, 09:13 PM

Sadly, I too have found that to be the state of most retail service people. Around the Villages there is so much work they can pick and choose, and people will still call. Sad, but true.
Old 01-09-2019, 10:06 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

We should expect NOTHING short of what you describe but I feel your pain. My driveway needs a little tune-up after a year. Some things were dragged instead of carried and I called our guy and guess what POOF, he's gone, evaporated. I hope he got something that worked out better for his family. He was making stupid money designing driveways but didn't like doing it. His name is/was Roberto Stanko. I got a great price so this is to be expected I guess. It is the way of the world in FLORIDA. If the same thing happened back at home I, you would probably have different results.

If I was a Contractor I know where I would be Concentrating my effort's and it wouldn't be up our way, just saying. I'd be P. 0. ed 2.
Old 01-10-2019, 07:06 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdFNJ View Post
I called 3 of the "top rated" people for quotes to have almost 1500sq ft of concrete painted/stained and only ONE even returned my call in 3 days (which fortunately was the one I actually did want to do the work and will be hired).

I also called 3 "top rated" people for quotes to epoxy my garage and also only ONE has returned my call in 3 days and was hired.

I did NOT expect the work done immediately and I did NOT expect them to come for an estimate immediately but AT LEAST RETURN MY CALL ! Very annoying. I guess everyone is very independent these days. Eventually things will change and it won't be a seller's market and these folks will be looking for us rather than vice versa.
Do not despair. Remember this. Almost all home owners are back now and repairing stuff.

Small entrepreneurs are working and can't take calls. They are often a one man or woman operation. Yes they should return calls, after they get home from (hopefully) working a long day trying to work everybody in. Their spouses probably work too and they probably don't make enough money to hire someone to answer phones or questions. They may be booked up so much that calling people and telling them they need to wait a month is not a task the want to do.

They SHOULD though.
Old 01-10-2019, 08:49 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,751 Times in 1,386 Posts

It has been a sellers/providers market ever since we have lived here (15 years). Best experience is with those who return the call even if only to tell you how far out they may be booked.

And as pointed out in another post, during snowbird season the problem tends to worsen.
Old 01-10-2019, 10:57 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,317 Times in 871 Posts

I've talked to several contractors and there is a common thread in many of their situations.....labor. Finding capable help is difficult as the growth and the demand is out stripping the labor availability. Remember when TV announced the expansion and all the major contractors held a job fair to find labor, even to the point of providing training courses and recruitment incentives? While successful for new construction they are still lacking in service and maintenance areas. Trickle down to the small guys (which man of us use because they are usually cheaper than the big guys) and you will find ONE of the reasons we have what we have. Wildwood has approved new housing projects for lower income personnel which might help attract labor to the area. If you live here full time, you might want to wait until the summer to do your projects, if you live here part time, you are part of the crunch.

Berks County Pennsylvania
Old 01-10-2019, 07:25 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,336 Posts

Sorry, this thread got moved from "General" so I lost track of it. Thanks for all the replies. I did hire Tim Miller (the only reply I got) for my garage epoxy which was my first choice anyway but I always hope to get 3 estimates on any larger project. They called back in under 24 hrs and will be done on the 21st. As for driveway/sidewalk/patio/lanai painting I did get one quote and will be contracting with them as soon as we pick out a design. Still waiting for even a CALLBACK from 2 others I called. At least call me and tell me you are too busy and don't want to do the job!! Don't need a secretary to do that. There is absolutely NO EXCUSE for not returning a call if you run a service business. Eventually it will come back and haunt you. Also Michelle's Screen was very fast on the followup for my garage slider but she was the only call I made. We like doing business with woman owned businesses if they are competitve. The driveway job will also be a woman owned business. Makes my wife happy too.

We are full-time residents but our garage widening took way too long. "Ground breaking" was 23 AUGUST and is just 98% done now!!! That is a story in itself. It was worth $5K-$10K difference from the other 3 quotes I got for a little inconvenience. I could probably write a book on that experience.
Closed Thread

Tags
days, call, people, work, called

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.