Sliding glass door

Closed Thread
Old 02-02-2020, 07:16 AM
Default Sliding glass door

Needing to replace a sliding glass door in patio villa in Sumter area. Any suggestions on the process, where to purchase, and who to install. Thank you....
Old 02-02-2020, 07:19 AM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,770 Times in 3,638 Posts

Lowe's
Old 02-02-2020, 09:53 AM
Sage
Thanked 6,151 Times in 2,249 Posts

If you want to match your existing sliders, first call home warranty to get the original manufacturer and installer. You can contact the original installer and see if they can still get that model and the cost, then feel free to shop around. Also, you did not state why the slider needs to be replaced. Glass can be repaired, wheels can be replaced, all at lower cost than replacing the entire unit.
Hope this helps.
Old 02-02-2020, 10:09 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,071 Times in 2,743 Posts

Agree, Lowel’s. Just went through this process so I have details. Go to the Millworks department and talk to a representative. They will set up a detail visit to your home where an installer will come to your home and spec out the job. The detail costs $35 and comes off the installation cost if you have them do the work. The installer will send a report with the specifications back to the millworks department. You will then meet again with the millworks representative and go over you slider options. Once you pick a slider and pay for it there is about a 35 day lead time for them to order your new slider. You will set up an installation date sometime after the 35 day order period. The basic installation costs $600 less the $35 detail fee, plus any extras that need to be done such as interior trim. There is also a fee for a permit for the job, which varies by county and costed me $160 in Sumter County. The contractor that does the detail is also the installer. Lowel’s carries an inexpensive house brand slider by ReliaBilt that in my opinion is too cheap to justify the hassle and installation cost. They also carry Pella sliders at various price points. Their Therma Star line of Pella sliders are built exclusively for Lowel’s, but the quality is not the same as other Pella sliders because they are built to achieve a lower price point. We went with a Pella 350 series Vinyl slider, which is the same quality slider you would get from a lumberyard that is a certified Pella distributor. The 350 series is a very good quality product that comes standard with bearing rollers, with several options available. We got ours with between the glass blinds, a sliding screen door and a sun guard glass upgrade. We are very happy with it. Hope this helps.
Old 02-02-2020, 11:46 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

Most of those who have lived here a decade might agree that Tim "The Toolman" Miller is one of the top handyman in TV. Although he has since moved onto to be one of the top garage and lanai floor finishers.

In 2011 he replaced a sliding door for me, since he was providing the labor, he went to place that had the best prices and mostly likely provided the windows, sliding glass doors and garage doors for your Villages Homes. It's Romac on Rolling Acres Rd., I'm sure they can recommend a installer.

Romac Building Supply | Buy where the builders buy!
Old 02-02-2020, 08:51 PM

Thank you everyone that answered my post. Very helpful!!
J
Old 02-02-2020, 09:24 PM

Could you let us know the approx. cost for this?
Old 02-03-2020, 07:40 AM

Our sliding doors in Creekside Landing were installed by Romac. They sell replacement doors. Lowes told us it was impossible to repair such doors where only the slider was damaged. I bought a replacement at Romac and installed it myself. It took about an hour, including the time to pick it up in Leesburg. The cost was about $400.
Old 02-03-2020, 04:15 PM
Default /sliding doors

Since you are planning to replace the sliding doors, have you ever considered french doors?
Old 02-03-2020, 04:17 PM
Send a message via AIM to vitacr

Try Belleview Glass & Mirror on Robinson Rd off Rt 35.
Old 02-03-2020, 06:38 PM

We just took out one if you would like it
Old 02-05-2020, 09:25 PM

Alehew, Thank you so much for offering your sliding glass door. I will not be down there until June. If I was there now I’ll take you up on the offer. Thank you very much though.
Old 02-06-2020, 07:41 AM

Can you tell me why your replacing your slider? I may have some suggestion for you.
Old 02-06-2020, 11:07 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,071 Times in 2,743 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by suebanj View Post
Could you let us know the approx. cost for this?
If you use Lowel’s here are the costs. Basic install is $579, building permit $350 (just went up a whopping 122% in Sumter County), disposal of old slider $40. The cost of your replacement slider could be anywhere between about $500 - 5,000 dollars depending on the brand/model and options you choose. We went with a good quality two door Pella 250 series with bearing rollers, between the glass blinds, and a sliding screen for just under $2,000 plus tax. Pella Thermastars are much cheaper and the Lowel’s store brand, ReliaBilt, is even cheaper. One the other hand, the Pella 350 series with hurricane shield, triple pane sun defense low-e insulated glass with argon, and other options can get very expensive very fast. On top of the basic installation, there can be additional cost for things such as door trim. Since I did this myself I can’t say what the exact cost would be, but I would guess another $100. Hope this helps.
Old 02-06-2020, 02:41 PM
Sage

Where is lowel's ?? Never heard of it.

Tags
sliding, door, glass, install, purchase

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.