Smoke alarm replacement

Closed Thread
Old 12-04-2018, 11:19 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
Maybe they can come over and cut my grass. The point is that I am paying them to put out fires, not to install smoke detectors. Our economy works better when the Government does not steal work away from the private sector. By offering a "free" service, which is not really free, we are taking away work and jobs from people who need the work.
Because smoke detectors and fires have no common denominator...

Sent from my SM-N920R4 using Tapatalk
Old 12-04-2018, 11:22 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,396 Times in 2,255 Posts

Quote:
Maybe they can come over and cut my grass. The point is that I am paying them to put out fires, not to install smoke detectors. Our economy works better when the Government does not steal work away from the private sector. By offering a "free" service, which is not really free, we are taking away work and jobs from people who need the work.
Umm, okay....

We've Got Plenty Of Youth.. What We Need Is a Fountain Of SMART!
Old 12-05-2018, 07:07 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,416 Times in 5,107 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWGUY View Post
Where do you stand on getting cats out of trees? Inquiring minds want to know.
I'm OK with it because it requires special equipment and skill.
Old 12-05-2018, 07:15 AM

got mind from amazon last month ,like for like 1/2 of the price from lowes for the same......
Old 12-05-2018, 07:34 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,634 Times in 928 Posts

Quote:
Wow. Just wow.
Old 12-05-2018, 07:47 AM
Sage
Location: The Villages and the Northern Neck on the Chesapeake Bay, VA.
Thanked 3,093 Times in 1,328 Posts

Thank you for all the responses. I will take advise and show around. The fire department is close by if I am not successful!
Old 12-05-2018, 08:17 AM
Veteran member

The alarms used in homes south of 466A have a 7 year manufacturers warranty. If you are are hearing 3 even beeps the unit has failed, it is not battery problem.

Remove the unit, (twists off), call the number on the back. They will ask for info, date code and description of problem.

If it still covered by their warranty you will receive a new one in 7-10 days at no charge.

I have had three fail so far, all have been replaced as described above, easy-peasy.

Don

Western PA, Marietta GA, finally TV....
Old 12-05-2018, 10:07 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,661 Times in 727 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspinmo View Post
Really not that hard if you replace with the same kind. Simply turn smoke detector to left ( If I remember correctly) slip it out of the mounting bracket, unplug. Then, either use the old mounting bracket or loosen the two mount screws, turn the bracket, remove it. Install the new bracket, snug the two screws, pull the plastic tab separating the back up bateries, plug the fire detector harness in, align slots, turn to right to secure the fire detector, push the test button and you’re done. Takes about 5 mins. I used magic mark and marked it so in 6 months I know what direction to turn it and how far to turn for separation. As for the fire department doing it for free, they do it when they are wait mode, and the whole station don’t come out and do it. It’s public service. It also depends on which county you live in to what’s required by the code and whether you’re house is rental or not.
And now the "Official Version" from the District Web Site:

Smoke Detector Program
The Villages Fire and Public Safety Department offers smoke detector assistance to residents of The Villages as part of the Fall Prevention Program.
• This program is designed for residents of The Villages who are disabled or are unable to climb a ladder
• Smoke detector batteries should be changed once per year
• Help with smoke detector battery changes and/or installations can be arranged by calling 352-205-8280 Monday through Friday from 8:00 am to 5:00 pm. If you call after hours or on the weekend, a recording will direct you to an alternate phone number
• Residents are required to purchase the batteries or new units
• There is no charge for this service
• The Villages Public Safety Department employees will arrive at your home in uniform, with a visible name badge
• As a reminder, this assistance is strictly for smoke detectors. The employees visiting your home will not be able to assist you with non-related smoke detector issues or concerns

Note there is nothing in there about COUNTY, CODE, or RENTALS.

This is a GREAT program for us Villagers..... and that is about all that needs to be said. When people don't know what they are talking about...... maybe they should STOP typing.

One other note..... I've never seen a cat skeleton in a tree!

C.W. Guy - Retired FireCapt./EMT
Old 12-05-2018, 12:00 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Thank You
Old 12-05-2018, 12:16 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWGUY View Post
And now the "Official Version" from the District Web Site:

Smoke Detector Program
The Villages Fire and Public Safety Department offers smoke detector assistance to residents of The Villages as part of the Fall Prevention Program.
• This program is designed for residents of The Villages who are disabled or are unable to climb a ladder
• Smoke detector batteries should be changed once per year
• Help with smoke detector battery changes and/or installations can be arranged by calling 352-205-8280 Monday through Friday from 8:00 am to 5:00 pm. If you call after hours or on the weekend, a recording will direct you to an alternate phone number
• Residents are required to purchase the batteries or new units
• There is no charge for this service
• The Villages Public Safety Department employees will arrive at your home in uniform, with a visible name badge
• As a reminder, this assistance is strictly for smoke detectors. The employees visiting your home will not be able to assist you with non-related smoke detector issues or concerns

Note there is nothing in there about COUNTY, CODE, or RENTALS.

This is a GREAT program for us Villagers..... and that is about all that needs to be said. When people don't know what they are talking about...... maybe they should STOP typing.

One other note..... I've never seen a cat skeleton in a tree!

C.W. Guy - Retired FireCapt./EMT
While I'm personally a bit ambivalent about this service that everyone can apparently utilize...I have no problems whatsoever with this part.

• This program is designed for residents of The Villages who are disabled or are unable to climb a ladder.

I can't help but wonder though (and is at the root of my ambivalence), is how many that could easily do it themselves/afford to hire someone to do it for them, take advantage of this program...simply to save a couple of bucks?
Old 12-05-2018, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Maybe they can come over and cut my grass. The point is that I am paying them to put out fires, not to install smoke detectors. The "free" service is not really free.
The purpose of this service is to not having to respond to a medical emergency from some one falling off a ladder when us older folks have no business being there.
Seem like a good use of their "down" time!!
Old 02-24-2019, 11:45 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,661 Times in 727 Posts

AMAZON today a six pack of replacement detectors $46.65 delivered with PRIME. Less than $8.00 each. Lowes $65.57 plus tax. If yours are 10 years old or close to that they need to be replaced.

Search with: BRK 9120B6CP
Closed Thread

Tags
smoke, suggestions, contact, deal, fair

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.