Smoke alarm replacement

Closed Thread
Old 12-04-2018, 08:12 AM
Sage
Location: The Villages and the Northern Neck on the Chesapeake Bay, VA.
Thanked 3,110 Times in 1,342 Posts
Default Smoke alarm replacement

I would like to replace all my smoke alarms. Any suggestions on who to contact for a fair deal.
Old 12-04-2018, 08:18 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,661 Times in 727 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bay Kid View Post
I would like to replace all my smoke alarms. Any suggestions on who to contact for a fair deal.
Lowes
Old 12-04-2018, 08:19 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
I replaced my own. Very simple if you are comfortable on a ladder. I am not sure, but maybe if you purchase the replacements the fire department might come out and do it for free.

Sent from my SM-N920R4 using Tapatalk
Old 12-04-2018, 08:28 AM
Soaring Eagle member

We bought ours at Ace Hardware and the Fire Department replaced them at no charge.
Old 12-04-2018, 08:29 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Ace Hardware, it's an easy DIY. Don't forget, if you have gas, one of them has to be a C O detector.

Laughter is the best medicine, unless you're being treated for Shingles
Old 12-04-2018, 08:35 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,694 Times in 5,235 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobnBev View Post
Ace Hardware, it's an easy DIY. Don't forget, if you have gas, one of them has to be a C O detector.
The code requires a carbon monoxide detector even if you don't have gas appliances, assuming that you have an attached garage.
Old 12-04-2018, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Go to Home Depot and buy the contractor package. 5 alarms in a box. Save some $$. Fire dept. changed them out for us. Wonderful people.
Old 12-04-2018, 06:34 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,148 Times in 2,247 Posts

Did this myself, as noted above there is a contractor package, Lowes was 6 of the smoke detectors for the price of 4 individual units. I bought the standard 9 volt battery type, and not the 10 year lithium battery type for almost twice the price. Also as noted above you may have 1 or 2 carbon monoxide detector, to remain legal these must be replaced with the same type units, I bought these individually. All of these plug into the existing house wiring.
If you are nervous about the wiring, there will be a circuit breaker that you can turn off, a small flat blade screw driver will release the plug from the smoke detector, take it to Lowe's or Home depot, or ACE and get the same model, then reverse the process.
As a side note, one of mine was giving a code that indicated the detector had failed (not a low battery), so that was why I replaced all as I did not want to be bothered over the next year or so replacing the rest of them.
Old 12-04-2018, 06:48 PM
Sage

I really don't have anything against the fire department, but why are they spending taxpayer money to install smoke detectors? That's not their job. If you can't do it yourself or find a friend to help you, hire an electrician or a handyman. They need the work more than the fire department. My opinion and rant for the day.
Old 12-04-2018, 08:22 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
I really don't have anything against the fire department, but why are they spending taxpayer money to install smoke detectors? That's not their job. If you can't do it yourself or find a friend to help you, hire an electrician or a handyman. They need the work more than the fire department. My opinion and rant for the day.
The fire department doesn't want people falling off ladders while they are trying to make their homes safe (replacing smoke detectors).

You can can also call the fire department if your loved one falls and you can't get her up.

It's called public service for a reason.

Sent from my SM-N920R4 using Tapatalk
Old 12-04-2018, 08:25 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,421 Times in 2,268 Posts

Quote:
As long as the service is available to everyone then the taxpayers are benefitting from their tax dollars. It's better than having them just sit at the station waiting for something to do.

We've Got Plenty Of Youth.. What We Need Is a Fountain Of SMART!
Old 12-04-2018, 09:32 PM

I just twisted off, unplugged five of them from off the walls.. Three were bibing at the same time(hard to tell which ones)..This means low back up batteries ...Just replace the batteries, right?
Old 12-04-2018, 10:09 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenswing View Post
As long as the service is available to everyone then the taxpayers are benefitting from their tax dollars. It's better than having them just sit at the station waiting for something to do.
Maybe they can come over and cut my grass. The point is that I am paying them to put out fires, not to install smoke detectors. The "free" service is not really free.

Last edited by retiredguy123; 12-05-2018 at 07:39 AM.
Old 12-04-2018, 10:58 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,661 Times in 727 Posts

Quote:
Maybe they can come over and cut my grass. The point is that I am paying them to put out fires, not to install smoke detectors. Our economy works better when the Government does not steal work away from the private sector. By offering a "free" service, which is not really free, we are taking away work and jobs from people who need the work.
Where do you stand on getting cats out of trees? Inquiring minds want to know.
Old 12-04-2018, 11:08 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,921 Times in 2,447 Posts

Really not that hard if you replace with the same kind. Simply turn smoke detector to left ( If I remember correctly) slip it out of the mounting bracket, unplug. Then, either use the old mounting bracket or loosen the two mount screws, turn the bracket, remove it. Install the new bracket, snug the two screws, pull the plastic tab separating the back up bateries, plug the fire detector harness in, align slots, turn to right to secure the fire detector, push the test button and you’re done. Takes about 5 mins. I used magic mark and marked it so in 6 months I know what direction to turn it and how far to turn for separation. As for the fire department doing it for free, they do it when they are wait mode, and the whole station don’t come out and do it. It’s public service. It also depends on which county you live in to what’s required by the code and whether you’re house is rental or not.
Closed Thread

Tags
smoke, suggestions, contact, deal, fair

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.