solar lights

Closed Thread
Old 02-07-2012, 10:27 AM
Default solar lights

Went to the home and garden show this weekend and spoke to three companies regarding solar lights. Sky tec has Velux Tubular Skylights and the Solar Guys have the solatube. I'm getting 2 10" lights... I'd love to hear from anyone who have used these companies recently and give me your thoughts... The cost difference between both companies is just $10.00...
Old 02-07-2012, 11:07 AM
Sage

The Solar Guys installed 2 solar tubes in our place when the prior owners had it. They were pleased with how the installation went and very happy with the results.

Bill
Old 02-07-2012, 11:08 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,506 Times in 1,906 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Everyone that I know of has used Solartubes from Solarguys and we are still considering them. Not sure if we want that much light in the area we are thinking about..in the great room. I think Bill thinks we need them.

It is amazing how much light is brought into an area from those tubes.

At first I thought you were talking about those outside lights that absorb light and give off a little iddy biddy light at night that people use for walkways. I would love to have a recommendation for those. I think we are going to have to wire for outside back illumination. I have yet to see solar lights that really gave off enough light to help see where you are going. (The outside kind)
Old 02-07-2012, 11:08 AM
Smile Solar Tubes

We are coming down to get the building process going this summer. How expensive are the solar tubes? I would think they would be really nice to have.
Old 02-07-2012, 11:35 AM
Sage

I have three solar tubes and 2 solar attic fans...all installed by The Solar Guys. Great tubes and great guys....they're in and out, clean up any debris that might fall (very little mess with installation, really) and the light that floods in from the tubes is amazing.

If you're in Sumter County, you now have to get a permit. Solar Guys get it for you...the county fee is the same for one install or as many as you want or can afford.... I payed around $400 or so it seems, for each, but I'm not positive. If you give either company a call and ask for the price, they will gladly give you a quote.
Old 02-07-2012, 11:39 AM
Sage
Default What am I missing?

I think I'm missing something. Coming from New York State, I'm pretty used to many, many months of dull, drabness outdoors. I currently have an interior kitchen that doesn't get much light. I just turn on the lights and all's bright! I also have an interior bathroom that gets no light but when I turn on the lights I'm satisfied. I hear many of your talking about solar tubes and how you'd like them in your home. From my stand point, all of the sun in Florida is a solar tube to me! I've been trying to think how I will need more light in Florida but I can't "see" it. Maybe after I've been living there for a few years the light won't be so bright to me. Also, wouldn't those tubes bring in more heat? i think living in the North has me confused and dazed.....
Old 02-07-2012, 11:45 AM
Sage

Daylight does more than brighten a room, it brightens our spirits, and now it seems physically as well as emotionally.

There are many interior rooms that can be illuminated by flipping on the lights, but it is really nice to have natural daylight brightening the room. Of course, it isn't cheap and if it's not that important to someone, then it's not necessary. What I've seen with some friends is that initially they did not want the tubes but as time passed and they were in their homes a bit longer now, they enjoyed daylight more and more and found a way to get it into those dark rooms or darkened areas of rooms with windows....tubes. Not necessary, but desired.
Old 02-07-2012, 12:42 PM
Sage

Very true, Pooh. There's nothing like natural light to lift your spirits.
Old 02-07-2012, 12:54 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
Everyone that I know of has used Solartubes from Solarguys and we are still considering them. Not sure if we want that much light in the area we are thinking about..in the great room. I think Bill thinks we need them.

It is amazing how much light is brought into an area from those tubes.

At first I thought you were talking about those outside lights that absorb light and give off a little iddy biddy light at night that people use for walkways. I would love to have a recommendation for those. I think we are going to have to wire for outside back illumination. I have yet to see solar lights that really gave off enough light to help see where you are going. (The outside kind)
Gracie, that's exactly what I thought when I heard the term Solar Tube. Absorbing the light in the day light and illuminating the light in the darker times of the day and night. I always thought that's what Solar meant. Sometimes I think that with the proper lighting in the home that it's just as easy to turn on a light. Sure is tons less expensive. Oh well, what do I know!!!!
Old 02-07-2012, 01:03 PM
Eternal Member

I have been in several houses with solar lighting and was not impressed.

I will stick with the lights and the light switches to achieve my degree of light in the house.

10 years and the lights in either bathroom over the vanities have yet to burn out.

Z

Second star to the right, then straight on 'til morning.
Old 02-07-2012, 02:08 PM
TOTV SPONSOR
Default The Solar Guys

Thank you all for your kind words about our company. I would like to welcome anyone interested in our products to visit our showroom. It is located on 441 about 1 mile South of the Market of Marion. There you can see 15 units installed in different size rooms and also take a look at our fixture options as well. Please also remember to not only look at the product that the company is selling but the company itself.
Old 02-07-2012, 02:55 PM
Veteran member

I have 3 solar tubes installed by SolarGuys last year in my CYV. Both bathrooms and kitchen have no windows in them so they were always dark. Now we do not even have to turn a light on when we are in there. I am very happy with them and how SolarGuys installed them. They were on time and cleaned up when finished. I also had them install a solar attic fan to keep the Villa cooler in the summer months. Well worth the cost and there are some tax incentives if you purchase them to offset the costs.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.