Solar Tubes and Attic Fans

Closed Thread
Old 03-27-2015, 08:06 AM
Default Solar Tubes and Attic Fans

Has anyone had experience with installing solar tubes? I would like one or two in the house we purchased. Contractor recommendations much appreciated. I'm concerned about leakage. Also, solar attic fans....were suggested by a friend of ours. Any info/contractor recommendations on this would be great. Our roof is black (ugh) and I would think we'll need some extra insulation up there for the heat. Thanks!
Old 03-27-2015, 08:08 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScorpioSquared View Post
Has anyone had experience with installing solar tubes? I would like one or two in the house we purchased. Contractor recommendations much appreciated. I'm concerned about leakage. Also, solar attic fans....were suggested by a friend of ours. Any info/contractor recommendations on this would be great. Our roof is black (ugh) and I would think we'll need some extra insulation up there for the heat. Thanks!
Almost everyone I know has used the Solar Guys to install tubes and fans.

Here's their info:

Solar Lights are Better Skylights | The Solar Guys
Old 03-27-2015, 08:11 AM
Sage

We've had solar tubes installed in three rooms and may add one or two more. The one in our guest bath is invaluable. Before, we had to turn on the light whenever we used it. Now only at night. The one in the kitchen illuminates a darker area well. We had Solar Guys install ours. Very pleased with them and will use them again if we add more.

The attic fans are questionable as to their value, IMO. Some people believe they reduce the attic temps significantly, but other studies show little change. I have two and am not sure I would do it again, let alone add more.
Old 03-27-2015, 08:30 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,162 Times in 833 Posts

There are many long term companies that do these installations. Leaking is not a problem. It is more a decorating and enjoying a more natural light issue than any economic one. Having a solar tube in a guest bathroom saves you the need to turn on a light switch a couple times a day, or less often if you don't use the guest bathroom. That might mean a dollar or two a year in savings at a cost of a few hundred for the installation.

If you have a wireless thermometer like this one
https://www.google.com/search?rls=co...32949956662388
you can see what the temperature is up in the attic for a few days. My attic with two fans never gets over 125. Roof is light orangish and no added insulation. I did not do a pre-installation check so I can't tell you what it ran before the fans.
Old 03-27-2015, 09:14 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,208 Times in 1,172 Posts

Would love to get 2 or 3 solar tubes in our house as well. Glad to hear that there are no leaking issues with them, although I did not suspect that to be so with so many people getting them and raving about them. With having a new house though, I was concerned about how it might effect the warranty on the roof. Anyone know anything about this?
Old 03-27-2015, 09:27 AM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,754 Times in 3,629 Posts

Talk to the guy next to the Pinellas' pool, he have ten tubes cut into his roof.

Old 03-27-2015, 09:34 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abby10 View Post
I was concerned about how it might effect the warranty on the roof. Anyone know anything about this?
Solar tubes and fans to not bring about any type of warranty.

A pessimist is an optimist with experience.

"In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress." - John Adams
Old 03-27-2015, 10:51 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Attic ventilators have been researched by some energy labs. Essentially, they either do no harm or cost you energy. You can google it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScorpioSquared View Post
Old 03-27-2015, 11:07 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by getdul981 View Post
Solar tubes and fans to not bring about any type of warranty.
Yep, your're right - writing without thinking again - TY! So, back to the question, does putting in solar tubes affect the warranty on the roof - like negate it?
Old 03-27-2015, 11:11 AM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,754 Times in 3,629 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abby10 View Post
Yep, your're right - writing without thinking again - TY! So, back to the question, does putting in solar tubes affect the warranty on the roof - like negate it?
I would not rely on we Village Bloggers for an answer (even thou we are all experts), I would check with the appropriate warrantor (that's not a word).
Old 03-27-2015, 11:12 AM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

Call home warranty and get the best answer there is.

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 03-27-2015, 11:58 AM
Sage
Thanked 6,121 Times in 2,237 Posts

There are several historical posts with regard to these subjects, solar tubes and attic ventilation. Much of the info is being repeated. Do a search on these subjects to see prior discussion. Lots of info in prior threads.
Old 03-27-2015, 12:20 PM
Sage

I'll have to check with warranty and let you all know. Then I'll be the expert!
Old 03-27-2015, 12:31 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Fans? Compare your temp. in the attic to the outside for a few weeks. Mine had at most a 10 degree difference.
Where will the fan pull air from? The ridge vent? I think that is bad.
Old 03-27-2015, 02:58 PM

We used Sky Tech. And it does not void you roof warranty we had one put in the main living area. They are wonderful. Never any leaks or problems. Installation went very well very professional. The light they add is great!!!!
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.