Spanish Moss

Closed Thread
Old 04-02-2014, 07:18 PM
Location: Lived in Chatham for 3 years. Moved to Mira Mesa in 2009
Default Spanish Moss

Could anyone recommend a person ( or persons ) that we could hire to remove Spanish Moss from our Oak trees ?

Thank you in advance.
Old 04-02-2014, 10:16 PM
Platinum member

I don't know anyone to recommend, but I just want to raise the question of whether there is so much moss that it merits the cost of removal.

Spanish Moss is not a parasite and draws no sustenance from the tree. It only needs to be removed if it infests the tree so heavily that it significantly blocks the tree leaves from receiving the sunlight needed for the tree to stay healthy.

And, of course, after it is removed there will be more coming to attach itself to the tree again.

Folks like me, who grew up here, think the moss is picturesque and bespeaks of Southern Charm.
Old 04-03-2014, 11:09 PM
Location: Lived in Chatham for 3 years. Moved to Mira Mesa in 2009
Default Spanish Moss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl in Tampa View Post
I don't know anyone to recommend, but I just want to raise the question of whether there is so much moss that it merits the cost of removal.

Spanish Moss is not a parasite and draws no sustenance from the tree. It only needs to be removed if it infests the tree so heavily that it significantly blocks the tree leaves from receiving the sunlight needed for the tree to stay healthy.

And, of course, after it is removed there will be more coming to attach itself to the tree again.

Folks like me, who grew up here, think the moss is picturesque and bespeaks of Southern Charm.
Thank you Carl for your reply. You are always so helpful answering questions for us.

I too think the moss is very decorative and picturesque but I am concerned that the trees will become defolliated. The lower branches have already lost most of their leaves. Driving back from Dunnellon yesterday I noticed many trees in pastures covered in moss with no leaves at all. I know this is an expensive project but I want to save the trees.

Thanks for your help.
Old 04-03-2014, 11:27 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vernster View Post
Thank you Carl for your reply. You are always so helpful answering questions for us.

I too think the moss is very decorative and picturesque but I am concerned that the trees will become defolliated. The lower branches have already lost most of their leaves. Driving back from Dunnellon yesterday I noticed many trees in pastures covered in moss with no leaves at all. I know this is an expensive project but I want to save the trees.

Thanks for your help.
Interesting article on Spanish Moss.

Spanish Moss - UF/IFAS Extension: Solutions for Your Life
Old 04-04-2014, 12:06 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Thank you for the article on Spanish Moss. I've been curious about moss since they remove it yearly from the oaks on the Palmer courses and along Buena Vista.
Old 04-04-2014, 01:00 PM
Platinum member
Default Old time Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vernster View Post

Thanks for your help.
If your tree is losing leaves then the moss certainly needs to be removed.

I hope you can find someone who will do the removal for a reasonable price.

For decades Florida "locals" (admittedly in a younger demographic than most of us) did most of their own moss removal using very long cane fishing poles.

The removal was done from the ground and from ladders. The person would extend the end of the pole into a clump of moss and twirl it around to get a "grip" on the clump and then pull it off. It was very labor intensive, and working on a ladder looking upward could become hazardous.

Usually, the moss was not discarded but was used as flower bed mulch.

The good old days........

--------------------------------------------------

What was so good about the good old days?

We were younger then.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.