Spray painting cabinets

Closed Thread
Old 02-10-2016, 09:56 AM
Veteran member
Default Spray painting cabinets

We have white Therma foil cabinets, 33 door fronts and 15 drawers. Would like to find someone who would take the doors off and back to their shop to spray paint. Everyone I contacted wants to re-face. They are in excellent condition and only need brightening up. We don't want them brushed or rolled....any ideas? Thanks!
Old 02-10-2016, 10:03 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PR1234 View Post
We have white Therma foil cabinets, 33 door fronts and 15 drawers. Would like to find someone who would take the doors off and back to their shop to spray paint. Everyone I contacted wants to re-face. They are in excellent condition and only need brightening up. We don't want them brushed or rolled....any ideas? Thanks!

Clean well & spray with Krylon. Minimal cost to you [emoji383]
Old 02-10-2016, 10:56 AM
Sage
Thanked 6,151 Times in 2,249 Posts

I agree, you should be able to spray yourself. If you have trouble with the spray paint cans, like holding down the spray buttons, I have seen trigger adapters, that provide a handle and make these much easier to use. I think I saw these at Harbor Freight, but the area hardware stores (Ace, Home Depot, or Lowes) should have them also.
Unless you can spray indoors or have a heated garage, it is too cold to paint now. I have found the best time is above 70 degrees, and LOW HUMIDITY.
Send a PM if you need help. I could help with the first couple of doors and offer suggestions.
Hope this helps.
Old 02-10-2016, 11:17 AM
Veteran member

LOL NO WAY would we attempt to spray or paint these ourselves! Would like a professional. Anyone else have some ideas?
Old 02-10-2016, 11:45 AM

We have oak cabinets and had Curtis Fuller paint them. 352 572 5275. He came highly recommended by 2 others that he painted cabinets for. ( sprayed the doors and drawers and rolled the rest). Everything appears sprayed. We really like the new look. He doesn't answer the phone but he will respond to your text. Really nice guy and his work is top notch.
Old 02-10-2016, 01:40 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,151 Times in 2,249 Posts

PR1234, glad you have some replies. I was not sure where you were coming from. I have sprayed several items over the years with very good results, but the above sounds like what you want.
Old 02-10-2016, 02:10 PM

We had our bathroom cabinets sprayed this pass summer. He took doors to his shop and brushed the rest. They are beautiful. We didn't want to replace good cabinates, just change the color. The next project will be the kitchen ones. We get so many wonderful compliments on them. We used Jose Guzman 352-422-7410.
Old 02-10-2016, 02:27 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

Quote:
We also have white thermofoil cabinets, by way of refacing. We hated our original cabinets on our new home and couldn't see buying all new cabinets. Remington Kitchens in Leesburg refaced our kitchen cabinet base fronts and all new doors, drawers, hardware and cabinet pulls for $4800.

Thermofoil is a poly product that is applied to the wood surface with intense heat. Most people love thermofoil because they are so easy to clean. I would try spraying 409 on them, let stand for a minute then wipe off. If you absolutely feel you need them painted, I would call Investment Painters, an advertiser on this site and if you search their name here you'll find they have a tremendous amount of compliments. Investment Painting Contractors

I once got an estimate from Investment for a small 10x10 kitchen and they were charging $1,000 to paint the cabinets. That was a few years ago.

If you google search painting thermafoil you'll find almost everyone recommends not doing. Here's a link to a gardenweb forum that is discussing the same problem.

Painting Thermofoil Kitchen Cabinets

Here's another discussion. It seems sanding first and then applying primer before painting will help. Others seem to think you can peel the thermofoil plastic off with a knife and then you can paint. You can read that here.

Repainting formica kitchen cabinets
Old 02-10-2016, 03:49 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagetinker View Post
I agree, you should be able to spray yourself. If you have trouble with the spray paint cans, like holding down the spray buttons, I have seen trigger adapters, that provide a handle and make these much easier to use. I think I saw these at Harbor Freight, but the area hardware stores (Ace, Home Depot, or Lowes) should have them also.
Unless you can spray indoors or have a heated garage, it is too cold to paint now. I have found the best time is above 70 degrees, and LOW HUMIDITY.
Send a PM if you need help. I could help with the first couple of doors and offer suggestions.
Hope this helps.
We are lucky to have you in TV, on TOTV and Planet Earth. You are a genuine good person. You offer opinions AND help. Who does that but YOU.
Old 02-10-2016, 08:04 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villager Joyce View Post
We are lucky to have you in TV, on TOTV and Planet Earth. You are a genuine good person. You offer opinions AND help. Who does that but YOU.

I agree, villagetinker is our very own Tim the Tool guy, Mr. Wizard rolled into one.
Old 02-10-2016, 08:24 PM
Veteran member

John W, we looked into refacing but $14,000 is just way too much! Still looking for a painter who would spray paint. Some painters don't like to paint the Therma Foil, but I know it can be done!
Old 02-11-2016, 09:04 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

Quote:
Quote:
John W, we looked into refacing but $14,000 is just way too much! Still looking for a painter who would spray paint. Some painters don't like to paint the Therma Foil, but I know it can be done!"
I just counted and we have 20 door fronts and 11 drawer fronts, definitely not as many as your 33 and 15, but $4800 compared to $14,000 is a pretty big jump. I don't know your budget, but Remington Kitchens specialize in refacing and would definitely be cheaper.
Old 02-12-2016, 06:57 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_W View Post
We also have white thermofoil cabinets, by way of refacing. We hated our original cabinets on our new home and couldn't see buying all new cabinets. Remington Kitchens in Leesburg refaced our kitchen cabinet base fronts and all new doors, drawers, hardware and cabinet pulls for $4800.

Thermofoil is a poly product that is applied to the wood surface with intense heat. Most people love thermofoil because they are so easy to clean. I would try spraying 409 on them, let stand for a minute then wipe off. If you absolutely feel you need them painted, I would call Investment Painters, an advertiser on this site and if you search their name here you'll find they have a tremendous amount of compliments. Investment Painting Contractors

I once got an estimate from Investment for a small 10x10 kitchen and they were charging $1,000 to paint the cabinets. That was a few years ago.

If you google search painting thermafoil you'll find almost everyone recommends not doing. Here's a link to a gardenweb forum that is discussing the same problem.

Painting Thermofoil Kitchen Cabinets

Here's another discussion. It seems sanding first and then applying primer before painting will help. Others seem to think you can peel the thermofoil plastic off with a knife and then you can paint. You can read that here.

Repainting formica kitchen cabinets
Some good info, looks like you have researched and got some good advice,
Closed Thread

Tags
spray, cabinets, condition, excellent, contacted, re-face, rolled, ideas, brushed, brightening, door, fronts, drawers, foil, painting, white, therma, find, back, shop, paint, doors

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.