Sprinkler Timer Repair

Closed Thread
Old 04-06-2021, 07:18 AM
Default Sprinkler Timer Repair

Should have known better, DIY projects never work out for us. Attempted to replace the original Hunter timer with Orbit's wifi timer. Took a photo of wiring before touching, wired the Orbit exactly as depicted, timer wouldn't activate the sprinkler heads. Called Orbit who walked us through the troubleshooting steps, no luck.

With new landscape plantings and a rapidly approaching departure for an extended period, I searched TOTV for a repair company. The first I called couldn't get to us for 12 weeks, the next for 4 weeks. Thanks to @Decadeofdave who had previously posted a shout out for Brent Mauriell w Simply Sprinklers 352-250-2573. I explained my situation to Brent and he was here in 90 minutes, on the Saturday before Easter. Brent was knowledgeable, courteous w very reasonable charges. I can't recommend Brent highly enough to express my impression of him. Great guy!
Old 04-06-2021, 12:26 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,178 Times in 834 Posts

I'm curious, You're under no obligation to tell us, but what was the problem? Did you wire it wrong? Was it a defective part? Should the phone support have been able to walk you through what needed to be done?
Old 04-06-2021, 02:05 PM
Default No way we could have known....

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueash View Post
I'm curious, You're under no obligation to tell us, but what was the problem? Did you wire it wrong? Was it a defective part? Should the phone support have been able to walk you through what needed to be done?
When the Hunter was originally installed it was done so using "In Line" wiring. Apparently this method is used to accommodate a rain sensor, which we have but it NEVER functioned. Our Hunter's Common port was loaded with an orange wire, and two white wires went to the Rain Sensor port, a red to Zone 1, and blue to Zone 2. So that's how we wired the new Orbit, orange to the common port and we left the two white wires disconnected bc we didn't want the useless rain sensor any longer. When the Orbit didn't trigger the sprinklers, we scoured the internet for answers, before calling Orbit. Everything we read, watched or told was the Common wire is usually white BUT it could be any color. Wellll.... our Common wire was white, as it turns out. I don't understand it any further than that but that's what it was. Brent plugged the white wire into Common port and WALA!!!!
Closed Thread

Tags
timer, brent, called, repair, weeks

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.