A Sticky Situation

Closed Thread
Old 11-16-2018, 07:08 AM
Platinum member
Default A Sticky Situation

Not quite sure of the TOTV definition of Sticky but I have made some assumptions. The other day, an advertiser posted a Sticky thread. (It is irrelevant to this story that this particular advertiser has been a member for 10 years and, generally, seems to be held in very high regard.)

A member replied to this sticky with a glowing review of a competing company. (It may or may not be relevant that this was posters 2nd post, and when I looked at their 1st post it was also about the competing company). Ok, probably a shill but that’s not the point I’m trying to make.

My point is doesn’t it seem unfair to respond to a company’s advertising with praise for another company? I wouldn’t mind if someone posted criticism of the advertiser – but to praise a competitor? I think it incumbent upon poster to start a new thread and not hijack the advertising company’s post.

Maybe it’s just me but I was really offended at what we, in Brooklyn, used to say “that’s just playing poor pool”. Tacky also come to mind.

Am I overreacting?
Old 11-16-2018, 07:13 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,750 Times in 1,386 Posts

No.
Reasonable assessment.
Old 11-16-2018, 07:15 AM
fw102807

Quote:
Originally Posted by BK001 View Post
Not quite sure of the TOTV definition of Sticky but I have made some assumptions. The other day, an advertiser posted a Sticky thread. (It is irrelevant to this story that this particular advertiser has been a member for 10 years and, generally, seems to be held in very high regard.)

A member replied to this sticky with a glowing review of a competing company. (It may or may not be relevant that this was posters 2nd post, and when I looked at their 1st post it was also about the competing company). Ok, probably a shill but that’s not the point I’m trying to make.

My point is doesn’t it seem unfair to respond to a company’s advertising with praise for another company? I wouldn’t mind if someone posted criticism of the advertiser – but to praise a competitor? I think it incumbent upon poster to start a new thread and not hijack the advertising company’s post.

Maybe it’s just me but I was really offended at what we, in Brooklyn, used to say “that’s just playing poor pool”. Tacky also come to mind.

Am I overreacting?
Absolutely agree
Old 11-16-2018, 07:22 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Well taken remarks and insightful.
Old 11-16-2018, 07:30 AM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to l2ridehd

I agree with you. So my guess is the competitor lost business vs gained any. Shot himself in the foot, as we used to say.
Old 11-16-2018, 09:07 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,477 Times in 548 Posts

Tacky. Overzealous. Doesn’t want to pay $$ for their own advertising.
Old 11-16-2018, 09:31 AM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

Would never use a company who did this or had someone do it for them.

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 11-16-2018, 10:03 AM
TOTV Moderator

OP is right on several points.

The post in question was by a new member with less than 10 posts, so, the post was removed for that reason.

Also, the 'sticky' threads for paid advertisers are for information/feedback about that business/service and any off topic/competitor posts will be removed.

Members (with an established posting record) are welcome to start their own thread in contractors/services forum to praise/question/criticize a business, advertiser or not.

Thanks to all for your understanding of the site rules. Our aim is to keep things fair and civil.

Old 11-16-2018, 03:31 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moderator View Post
OP is right on several points.

The post in question was by a new member with less than 10 posts, so, the post was removed for that reason.

Also, the 'sticky' threads for paid advertisers are for information/feedback about that business/service and any off topic/competitor posts will be removed.

Members (with an established posting record) are welcome to start their own thread in contractors/services forum to praise/question/criticize a business, advertiser or not.

Thanks to all for your understanding of the site rules. Our aim is to keep things fair and civil.

Thank you. I feel vindicated. Yet, believe that I have NO relationship with this vendor, nor have I ever used their services but I will say that should I ever decide to make an "investment in a painting contractor" (Hint) - based upon years of glowing reviews I would call this company.

Last edited by BK001; 11-16-2018 at 05:26 PM.
Old 11-16-2018, 05:00 PM
Investment Painting Contractors Investment Painting Contractors is offline
TOTV SPONSOR

Thank You. Len & Mary The retired half, And Chris the working half
Closed Thread

Tags
sticky, company, advertiser, post, member

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.