A Sticky Situation

A Sticky Situation

Notices

» Site Navigation
Home Page The Villages Maps The Villages Activities The Villages Clubs The Villages Book Healthcare Rentals Real Estate Section Classified Section The Villages Directory Home Improvement Site Guidelines Advertising Info Register Now Video Tutorials Frequently Asked Questions
» Newsletter Signup
» Premium Tower
» Advertisements
» Trending News
» Tower Sponsors

» Premium Sponsors
» Banner Sponsors
» Advertisements

A Sticky Situation
Old 11-16-2018, 07:08 AM
Veteran member

Default A Sticky Situation

Not quite sure of the TOTV definition of Sticky but I have made some assumptions. The other day, an advertiser posted a Sticky thread. (It is irrelevant to this story that this particular advertiser has been a member for 10 years and, generally, seems to be held in very high regard.)

A member replied to this sticky with a glowing review of a competing company. (It may or may not be relevant that this was posters 2nd post, and when I looked at their 1st post it was also about the competing company). Ok, probably a shill but that’s not the point I’m trying to make.

My point is doesn’t it seem unfair to respond to a company’s advertising with praise for another company? I wouldn’t mind if someone posted criticism of the advertiser – but to praise a competitor? I think it incumbent upon poster to start a new thread and not hijack the advertising company’s post.

Maybe it’s just me but I was really offended at what we, in Brooklyn, used to say “that’s just playing poor pool”. Tacky also come to mind.

Am I overreacting?

Old 11-16-2018, 07:13 AM
Sage

No.
Reasonable assessment.
Old 11-16-2018, 07:15 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by BK001 View Post
Not quite sure of the TOTV definition of Sticky but I have made some assumptions. The other day, an advertiser posted a Sticky thread. (It is irrelevant to this story that this particular advertiser has been a member for 10 years and, generally, seems to be held in very high regard.)

A member replied to this sticky with a glowing review of a competing company. (It may or may not be relevant that this was posters 2nd post, and when I looked at their 1st post it was also about the competing company). Ok, probably a shill but that’s not the point I’m trying to make.

My point is doesn’t it seem unfair to respond to a company’s advertising with praise for another company? I wouldn’t mind if someone posted criticism of the advertiser – but to praise a competitor? I think it incumbent upon poster to start a new thread and not hijack the advertising company’s post.

Maybe it’s just me but I was really offended at what we, in Brooklyn, used to say “that’s just playing poor pool”. Tacky also come to mind.

Am I overreacting?
Absolutely agree
Old 11-16-2018, 07:22 AM
Sage

Well taken remarks and insightful.
Old 11-16-2018, 07:30 AM
Sage

I agree with you. So my guess is the competitor lost business vs gained any. Shot himself in the foot, as we used to say.
Old 11-16-2018, 09:07 AM
Veteran member

Tacky. Overzealous. Doesn’t want to pay $$ for their own advertising.
Old 11-16-2018, 09:31 AM
Sage

Would never use a company who did this or had someone do it for them.

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 11-16-2018, 10:03 AM
TOTV Moderator

OP is right on several points.

The post in question was by a new member with less than 10 posts, so, the post was removed for that reason.

Also, the 'sticky' threads for paid advertisers are for information/feedback about that business/service and any off topic/competitor posts will be removed.

Members (with an established posting record) are welcome to start their own thread in contractors/services forum to praise/question/criticize a business, advertiser or not.

Thanks to all for your understanding of the site rules. Our aim is to keep things fair and civil.

Old 11-16-2018, 03:31 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moderator View Post
OP is right on several points.

The post in question was by a new member with less than 10 posts, so, the post was removed for that reason.

Also, the 'sticky' threads for paid advertisers are for information/feedback about that business/service and any off topic/competitor posts will be removed.

Members (with an established posting record) are welcome to start their own thread in contractors/services forum to praise/question/criticize a business, advertiser or not.

Thanks to all for your understanding of the site rules. Our aim is to keep things fair and civil.

Thank you. I feel vindicated. Yet, believe that I have NO relationship with this vendor, nor have I ever used their services but I will say that should I ever decide to make an "investment in a painting contractor" (Hint) - based upon years of glowing reviews I would call this company.

Last edited by BK001; 11-16-2018 at 05:26 PM.
Old 11-16-2018, 05:00 PM
Investment Painting Contractors Investment Painting Contractors is offline
TOTV SPONSOR

Thank You. Len & Mary The retired half, And Chris the working half

Tags
sticky, company, advertiser, post, member