Suggestions for Turf replacement

Closed Thread
Old 11-26-2018, 10:15 AM
Default Suggestions for Turf replacement

Does anyone have a recommendation for someone who does turf replacement. I need to have a large patch on my front lawn removed and replaced.
Old 11-26-2018, 10:54 AM
Default You want to do some reading

Quote:
Originally Posted by martine48 View Post
Does anyone have a recommendation for someone who does turf replacement. I need to have a large patch on my front lawn removed and replaced.
The first question is why does it need to be replaced. If it is because the grass has died you need to determine why it died and solve the problem. Soil test, pictures etc.

When, is also an important question. This is the end of November your lawn is shutting down for ,"the winter."
Now is a good time to adjust PH-IF a soil test shows it is necessary. Laying sod,or seeding is better done about April when your grass is waking up.
Old 11-26-2018, 11:07 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetruth View Post
The first question is why does it need to be replaced. If it is because the grass has died you need to determine why it died and solve the problem. Soil test, pictures etc.

When, is also an important question. This is the end of November your lawn is shutting down for ,"the winter."
Now is a good time to adjust PH-IF a soil test shows it is necessary. Laying sod,or seeding is better done about April when your grass is waking up.
I'm going to assume the OP already knows these things. I can't recommend a company because I forget the name, but there is a house on the corner of Newburn Lane and Lowell Terrace in the village of Tamarind Grove. It is the corner house that faces Lowell, not the one that faces Newburn. A couple of years ago they had their entire lawn killed off and replaced. It looked very nice. We used to live on Newburn Lane near them, and we watched the process from start to finish. The owners' names are Donna and Mark. I forget the last name, but you could drive over there and talk to them. I know they would help you.

Good luck, I hope you find a good recommendation.
Old 11-26-2018, 03:39 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,302 Times in 865 Posts

Our neighbor had the same issue and used A Greener Source LLC, (352) 602-1940. He had to take a step pack and give it time to catch up with the rest of the lawn (what, impatient Villagers lol) but is pleased with the progress.

Berks County Pennsylvania
Old 11-27-2018, 03:43 AM
Veteran member
Location: Reading, Pa, The Villages, Reading, Pa, The Villages until the end.

Allen Sod
Old 11-27-2018, 08:59 AM

I have Falcon Lawn care treating the lawn. They believe the lawn is infested with Kyllingea Sedge which is difficult to eradicate. If their treatment does not work then I will have to have it dug out and replaced with new turf.

Many thanks for your replies with advice. It goes to show what a useful forum this is.
Old 11-27-2018, 10:37 AM
Default Do not panic

Quote:
Originally Posted by martine48 View Post
I have Falcon Lawn care treating the lawn. They believe the lawn is infested with Kyllingea Sedge which is difficult to eradicate. If their treatment does not work then I will have to have it dug out and replaced with new turf.

Many thanks for your replies with advice. It goes to show what a useful forum this is.
As in my previous post, the is a right thing to do and a right time to do it for every problem.

As to what your guy told you is Kyllingea Sedge assuming he is right. You can confirm if you look at it. Grass has flat leaves. Nut sedge has a triangle cross section. In any case there are chemicals that will kill only the sedge and not your regular grass-slegehammer is the trade name.

Sedge is hard to kill because it produces bulbs along the root system. So if you pull it out it comes back from the bulbs you will leave behind. Not only that it also produces seed.

READ-instructions will tell you now is the wrong time to be applying weed killers-they work best on rapidly growing weeds-spring time. Your OP said you are considering replacing your sod. Realize if you have sedge when they remove the old sod they will surely leaqve some sedge bulbs behind and you will still have the same problem.

If, yo feel like you must to something and do it now, spot treat each weed with Round up-glucophospahte is the generic chemical name. You can apply it with a paint brush to avoid killing your grass. Muttering-TAKE THAT YOU SUCKER helps make it seem like less work. Particularly now because all is shutting down for,"winter," it will take about two or three weeks to work. The chemical is absorbed through the leaves. Do not remove the leaves even once they start to wilt-you want to be sure to kill the bulbs.
Closed Thread

Tags
replacement, turf, front, lawn, replaced

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.