Sun Kool overcharging??

Closed Thread
Old 04-22-2022, 11:18 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,845 Times in 2,404 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbb View Post
First mistake was having an annual inspection. The purpose of an annual inspection is not to maintain your system, its to give your technician the opportunity to sell you something so he can make a bonus or commission.

Clap 👏
Old 04-22-2022, 11:24 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,419 Times in 5,109 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windguy View Post
I seem to remember that a SunCool tech told me that replacing the capacitor myself would void the warranty. I guess I should call the manufacturer to verify. There would be two advantages to doing it myself. I would not only save a lot of money, but I would also get it fixed right away if I had a spare on hand.
The warranty is a written document. Why not just read it?
Old 04-22-2022, 11:54 AM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,687 Times in 3,600 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspinmo View Post
If you have no skills pay the piper and don’t complain about it.
Might have plenty of skills, jus the wrong one(s).

Could have had the right skill(s), but is old, slow, forgetful and shaky now.

Old 04-22-2022, 11:54 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,742 Times in 703 Posts
Default Diy

For all the DIY'ers (at least those whose HVAC systems are still under warranty), Carrier clearly lists these items which their warranty won't cover:

3. Any product purchased over the Internet.

5. Product must be installed properly and by a licensed HVAC technician.

8. Defective parts must be returned to the distributor through a registered servicing dealer for credit.
Old 04-22-2022, 07:50 PM
Default I Got Taken, Too!!! Kalos Services charged me $210 for a capaciter just last month!

Quote:
Originally Posted by drstevens View Post
I was recently charged $159.30 for a capacitor on a carrier air conditioning unit during an annual inspection. As a retired professor of electrical engineering who has taught motors and controls theory (including compressors and motors as large 2500HP and capacitors for circuit design and power factor correction) for 37 years and also owned an electrical contracting company, I was very familiar with the component, but not current prices. I thought the price was high when similar capacitors used to sell for $15-$20, but I paid it anyway. Afterwards, I found the identical capacitor selling for $17.10 on the internet. Realizing the price was exorbitant; I called a competitor, Munns HVAC, and was told their price was $65, which I thought was reasonable. This included installation, when performing an annual inspection. Believing I was overcharged, possibly by mistake, I called Sun Kool and was told this was their price and there would be no adjustment. Interestingly, the same technician serviced my neighbor's unit and he also told her the capacitor needed replaced. Coincidence, possibly; scam, maybe. Although not a lot of money, the implication of such an extreme mark-up on parts forces me to use other contractors.
I am posting this for informational purposes only, “Caveat Emptor”.
Kalos Services charged me $210! I had no idea about what that part should cost, nor really had any idea if it was important to change it out or not. I am glad to read your thoughts on this--I will cross both those companies off my list for the forseeable future!!!
Old 04-22-2022, 10:14 PM
Default Capacitors

Quote:
Originally Posted by drstevens View Post
I was recently charged $159.30 for a capacitor on a carrier air conditioning unit during an annual inspection. As a retired professor of electrical engineering who has taught motors and controls theory (including compressors and motors as large 2500HP and capacitors for circuit design and power factor correction) for 37 years and also owned an electrical contracting company, I was very familiar with the component, but not current prices. I thought the price was high when similar capacitors used to sell for $15-$20, but I paid it anyway. Afterwards, I found the identical capacitor selling for $17.10 on the internet. Realizing the price was exorbitant; I called a competitor, Munns HVAC, and was told their price was $65, which I thought was reasonable. This included installation, when performing an annual inspection. Believing I was overcharged, possibly by mistake, I called Sun Kool and was told this was their price and there would be no adjustment. Interestingly, the same technician serviced my neighbor's unit and he also told her the capacitor needed replaced. Coincidence, possibly; scam, maybe. Although not a lot of money, the implication of such an extreme mark-up on parts forces me to use other contractors.
I am posting this for informational purposes only, “Caveat Emptor”.
Capacitors cost around $15-$20 and are simple to replace. Their are many U-Tube videos. I buy several and replace one each year; one year the inside one, the next year the outside one. Very worthwhile!
Old 04-23-2022, 10:05 AM

Munns has always been fair to us.
Old 04-23-2022, 03:55 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,232 Times in 419 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Incoblack1 View Post
Capacitors cost around $15-$20 and are simple to replace. Their are many U-Tube videos. I buy several and replace one each year; one year the inside one, the next year the outside one. Very worthwhile!
What inside one? Where is it located?
Closed Thread

Tags
price, told, capacitor, motors, kool

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.