Sun Kool overcharging??

Closed Thread
Old 04-21-2022, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drstevens View Post
I was recently charged $159.30 for a capacitor on a carrier air conditioning unit during an annual inspection. As a retired professor of electrical engineering who has taught motors and controls theory (including compressors and motors as large 2500HP and capacitors for circuit design and power factor correction) for 37 years and also owned an electrical contracting company, I was very familiar with the component, but not current prices. I thought the price was high when similar capacitors used to sell for $15-$20, but I paid it anyway. Afterwards, I found the identical capacitor selling for $17.10 on the internet. Realizing the price was exorbitant; I called a competitor, Munns HVAC, and was told their price was $65, which I thought was reasonable. This included installation, when performing an annual inspection. Believing I was overcharged, possibly by mistake, I called Sun Kool and was told this was their price and there would be no adjustment. Interestingly, the same technician serviced my neighbor's unit and he also told her the capacitor needed replaced. Coincidence, possibly; scam, maybe. Although not a lot of money, the implication of such an extreme mark-up on parts forces me to use other contractors.
I am posting this for informational purposes only, “Caveat Emptor”.
So your not a contractor. There is no way a legitimate contractor can send a trained and experienced technician out his door without a charging $100 for that portion of the service. Most contractors do not buy parts from the Internet, but rather get them from a wholesaler or inventory them ( this adds cost) so they can help the customer on the first call. A return visit after getting a part ordered from the internet adds more cost. A 50% part markup is reasonable. Let the Company earn a fair profit or else they will not be in business when you need them. My credentials are I had a Corporate life, MBA and owned the largest remodeling company in my city. Yours are irrelevant in my opinion.
Old 04-21-2022, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by La lamy View Post
So hard to trust people nowadays. Had a cashier at Winn Dixie try to keep $10 from my due cash back. When I went back to her after looking at the receipt she owned up to it right away. "It's so hectic around here" she says.
Wow that’s pretty blatant to do that right in front of you. Glad you got your money back but you make a good point that we need to watch our transactions closely.
Old 04-21-2022, 07:40 AM

I too experienced the same capacitor scam on my garage door opener. The starting capacitor needed changing and DGD doors charged me $120.00, to change it. Well, I too am an electrical engineer who sold my electronic corp. 3 years ago know the price of electrolytic capacitors used as phase shifting starting devices. They typically sell for $12.00-20.00. I called Discount Garage Doors (DGD), and they said that is what they charge.
Old 04-21-2022, 07:44 AM

Quote:
I was recently charged $159.30 for a capacitor on a carrier air conditioning unit during an annual inspection. As a retired professor of electrical engineering who has taught motors and controls theory (including compressors and motors as large 2500HP and capacitors for circuit design and power factor correction) for 37 years and also owned an electrical contracting company, I was very familiar with the component, but not current prices. I thought the price was high when similar capacitors used to sell for $15-$20, but I paid it anyway. Afterwards, I found the identical capacitor selling for $17.10 on the internet. Realizing the price was exorbitant; I called a competitor, Munns HVAC, and was told their price was $65, which I thought was reasonable. This included installation, when performing an annual inspection. Believing I was overcharged, possibly by mistake, I called Sun Kool and was told this was their price and there would be no adjustment. Interestingly, the same technician serviced my neighbor's unit and he also told her the capacitor needed replaced. Coincidence, possibly; scam, maybe. Although not a lot of money, the implication of such an extreme mark-up on parts forces me to use other contractors.
Thanks for this info. We used to be members of the Kool Klub, or whatever they call it. We also had the capacitor issue a couple years ago. We left Sun Kool, but have been thinking bout rejoining. I’ll need to think some more.
Old 04-21-2022, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PersonOfInterest View Post
With that background one wonders why you weren't troubleshooting and replacing the part yourself.
I seem to remember that a SunCool tech told me that replacing the capacitor myself would void the warranty. I guess I should call the manufacturer to verify. There would be two advantages to doing it myself. I would not only save a lot of money, but I would also get it fixed right away if I had a spare on hand.
Old 04-21-2022, 07:57 AM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,770 Times in 3,638 Posts

My guess, within a month the Online News headline will be:

Villager Electrocuted to Death Changing Capacitor
(good news, he saved $100)
Old 04-21-2022, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shut the front door View Post
Munn's clipped us for over $200 for part and installation. Won't make that mistake again!
I was charged over $300 by Munns. The capacitor was over $175 and the rest for showing up and labor. Now I have a new $16 capacitor, which I bought on-line, in my garage just in case. Live and learn. Hey, education is expensive nowadays. Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice……..
Sadly there are answers, on TOTV, to many of the
dilemmas we encounter, like this one, but at the time we either don’t think or realize it.
Old 04-21-2022, 08:01 AM

Said the same thing to me last year, I went on Amazon bought one for $21 one screw and 4 wires. took 10 minutes to remove panel and replace capacitor. The old one was fine. They also don't clean the drain and there will be another service charge. I'm sorry to tell you all this but there are no honest service companies in and around the Villages, you just think they are as they are polite and smiling when they take your money. Good luck!
Old 04-21-2022, 08:10 AM

A/C capacitors Do go bad over time and the technician can measure when they reach a threshold and need to be replaced.

We have Sunshine and belong to their "club" and it cost us $75 to replace the capacitor a couple of months ago during a maintenance visit.

As far as doing replairs yourself, although some can do it i wouldn't recommend it and $150 for a repair including the part is not that unreasonable these days. Think about how much you can spend for dinner at one of the Squares? Most issues with our A/C units as they age are fairly common and an experienced technician can spot them and give you good advice on what to do. Eventually you will need to replace the A/C unit eventhough you think it's fine since they all have a finite life span.

I think whichever company you go with you need to join their "club" even if it costs a little up front. Once in then you should get priority service and some discounts on repairs.

I would check with your neighbors and see who they are using.

Also, you will hear a "bad" story about an experience with all these companies. Not every tech is perfect, they are human and some repairs can be difficult to diagnose. Just keep that in mind when selecting the company you want to go with. Most of the major companies are reputable and should stand behind their work.
Old 04-21-2022, 08:22 AM

First mistake was having an annual inspection. The purpose of an annual inspection is not to maintain your system, its to give your technician the opportunity to sell you something so he can make a bonus or commission.
Old 04-21-2022, 08:29 AM

I suggest EVERYONE have a spare capacitor on hand.
If your unit isn't starting, it's likely the capacitor. (After checking that it's not the condensation float, first)
There are YouTube videos on how-to replace it.
Starting with pulling the fuse/disconnect in the box on the wall of the house, connected to the compressor unit. (The high voltage)
You discharge the cap with your screwdriver. It's not going to kill you.
Take a picture with your phone, if you think you'll mess up the wires.
It's best to just disconnect one at a time and attach it to the new one.

Save yourself having to try to sleep in a 90 degree house, till the repair guy can get there/till you can get a replacement.
Been there, done it.
Old 04-21-2022, 08:30 AM

Yes, Sun Cool gave me the highest estimate for a mini split when I first moved here plus the guy was cocky when I asked if that was his best price.
Old 04-21-2022, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Not out of line. We paid more to Munn’s several years ago. Went with SunKool for a new unit.
Old 04-21-2022, 11:27 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,708 Times in 5,240 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by G.R.I.T.S. View Post
Not out of line. We paid more to Munn’s several years ago. Went with SunKool for a new unit.
Was Munn's there specifically to repair your unit that had failed, or were they there to perform a maintenance service that you had already scheduled and paid for? It makes a big difference in what they should charge. If an HVAC company is charging customers $100 or so to do routine maintenance, and then adding an additional $160 to replace the capacitor, then they are overcharging you. What would prevent them from charging everyone an additional $160 for a new capacitor?
Old 04-22-2022, 02:40 AM

Do yourself a favor and have your air conditioning system serviced by Chuck Farrell.
Chuck Farrell's AC & Heating - Google Search
Closed Thread

Tags
price, told, capacitor, motors, kool

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.