Sun Kool overcharging??

Closed Thread
Old 04-22-2022, 04:46 AM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,754 Times in 3,629 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrref View Post
A/C capacitors Do go bad over time and the technician can measure when they reach a threshold and need to be replaced.

We have Sunshine and belong to their "club" and it cost us $75 to replace the capacitor a couple of months ago during a maintenance visit.

As far as doing replairs yourself, although some can do it i wouldn't recommend it and $150 for a repair including the part is not that unreasonable these days. Think about how much you can spend for dinner at one of the Squares? Most issues with our A/C units as they age are fairly common and an experienced technician can spot them and give you good advice on what to do. Eventually you will need to replace the A/C unit eventhough you think it's fine since they all have a finite life span.

I think whichever company you go with you need to join their "club" even if it costs a little up front. Once in then you should get priority service and some discounts on repairs.

I would check with your neighbors and see who they are using.

Also, you will hear a "bad" story about an experience with all these companies. Not every tech is perfect, they are human and some repairs can be difficult to diagnose. Just keep that in mind when selecting the company you want to go with. Most of the major companies are reputable and should stand behind their work.

Old 04-22-2022, 05:18 AM
Sage
Thanked 14,027 Times in 5,325 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewilson58 View Post
My guess, within a month the Online News headline will be:

Villager Electrocuted to Death Changing Capacitor
(good news, he saved $100)
We get our kind of sort of news from the Sun so we might have to wait a bit longer.
Old 04-22-2022, 05:20 AM
Sage
Thanked 14,027 Times in 5,325 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbb View Post
First mistake was having an annual inspection. The purpose of an annual inspection is not to maintain your system, its to give your technician the opportunity to sell you something so he can make a bonus or commission.
We have Munns for past two years and never have never done that to us. All they ask if we want to buy filter when doing maintenance.
Old 04-22-2022, 05:45 AM
Default Sun Kool on the positive side

Sun Kool replaced our HVAC system at our former home in The Villages. They had the best price and we were very satisfied with the installation. We have since used their Kool Club which is approximately $200 a year. We receive bi-annual maintenance and priority service calls if there a problem. Those service calls do not have a fee unless there is an uncovered component. We transferred our membership from one house to another. We had an issue with our AC not working and they came out the same day. The problem was the clogged discharge line. Yes we do always do the monthly clean out as they had instructed. The service tech tried to charge me for the visit and I told him we had a membership so he said oh sorry no charge. After he left I discovered that our membership had expired a few months earlier. I called in and renewed the membership. The Point being they had a legitimate reason to charge me for the visit as I was not covered under the membership plan at the time of the service call. They are always two sides to every story. I just wanted to post something positive about this company.

De La Vista North - Full Time

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional

Fins Up!
Old 04-22-2022, 06:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drstevens View Post
I was recently charged $159.30 for a capacitor on a carrier air conditioning unit during an annual inspection. As a retired professor of electrical engineering who has taught motors and controls theory (including compressors and motors as large 2500HP and capacitors for circuit design and power factor correction) for 37 years and also owned an electrical contracting company, I was very familiar with the component, but not current prices. I thought the price was high when similar capacitors used to sell for $15-$20, but I paid it anyway. Afterwards, I found the identical capacitor selling for $17.10 on the internet. Realizing the price was exorbitant; I called a competitor, Munns HVAC, and was told their price was $65, which I thought was reasonable. This included installation, when performing an annual inspection. Believing I was overcharged, possibly by mistake, I called Sun Kool and was told this was their price and there would be no adjustment. Interestingly, the same technician serviced my neighbor's unit and he also told her the capacitor needed replaced. Coincidence, possibly; scam, maybe. Although not a lot of money, the implication of such an extreme mark-up on parts forces me to use other contractors.
I am posting this for informational purposes only, “Caveat Emptor”.
I had a similar experience Sun Cool, I switched to Munns and found them to be honest and reliable
Old 04-22-2022, 06:58 AM
Thanked 1,115 Times in 245 Posts
Default They all overcharge!

I have yet to see a business that serves TV that doesn't overcharge including TV Management themselves. We are consumers in captivity unless you can do-it-yourself.
Old 04-22-2022, 07:36 AM

Maintenance plus very good and reasonable and always available
Old 04-22-2022, 07:38 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

Chuck #1 FARREL replaced our capacitor for $65.00. I did it at the 4 year mark, preventively. It is simple. You have to be gentle with the wiring and there are electronic boards in the area. So easy does it. The main thing is TURN OFF THE POWER TO THE A/C UNIT and don’t touch the connectors on the top of the capacitor. Your results may vary depending on your skill level.

Overcharging the way they did is a crime. Bastards!
Old 04-22-2022, 09:43 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Yes you’re right you can get capacitors from $20. to $100. But the catch is labor. Labor is most of the expense when hiring it done. Changing a Capacitor yourself only takes about 10 or 15 mins. Anything I can do myself, I do it. Capacitors are very simple to change. Pull the wires off the old capacitor, but be careful not to touch the metal on the pliers or touch anything else. Then discharge the capacitor. Then pull old capacitor out & replace with new one, put wires back on. Then your ready to go! Google it & you’ll see how very easy it is.
Old 04-22-2022, 09:53 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
First mistake was having an annual inspection. The purpose of an annual inspection is not to maintain your system, its to give your technician the opportunity to sell you something so he can make a bonus or commission.
I AGREE !

Skip
Old 04-22-2022, 11:01 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,884 Times in 2,430 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by drstevens View Post
I was recently charged $159.30 for a capacitor on a carrier air conditioning unit during an annual inspection. As a retired professor of electrical engineering who has taught motors and controls theory (including compressors and motors as large 2500HP and capacitors for circuit design and power factor correction) for 37 years and also owned an electrical contracting company, I was very familiar with the component, but not current prices. I thought the price was high when similar capacitors used to sell for $15-$20, but I paid it anyway. Afterwards, I found the identical capacitor selling for $17.10 on the internet. Realizing the price was exorbitant; I called a competitor, Munns HVAC, and was told their price was $65, which I thought was reasonable. This included installation, when performing an annual inspection. Believing I was overcharged, possibly by mistake, I called Sun Kool and was told this was their price and there would be no adjustment. Interestingly, the same technician serviced my neighbor's unit and he also told her the capacitor needed replaced. Coincidence, possibly; scam, maybe. Although not a lot of money, the implication of such an extreme mark-up on parts forces me to use other contractors.
I am posting this for informational purposes only, “Caveat Emptor”.
As you know capacitors either work or they don’t. They can check them and guess how much life they have left, but it’s just guess. I too got caught on this overcharging why I have two spares takes all 15 minutes to replace them.
Old 04-22-2022, 11:05 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,131 Times in 811 Posts

Quote:
Useless you do your home work so you don't get taken.

Always ask questions and if your estimate is to expensive, if possibly, take a step back and check other services Company's out.

We have choses, use them
Old 04-22-2022, 11:07 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewilson58 View Post
My guess, within a month the Online News headline will be:

Villager Electrocuted to Death Changing Capacitor
(good news, he saved $100)
Correction. Inexperience villager with no skills electrocuted to death changing light bulb. If you have no skills pay the piper and don’t complain about it.
Old 04-22-2022, 11:10 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windguy View Post
I seem to remember that a SunCool tech told me that replacing the capacitor myself would void the warranty. I guess I should call the manufacturer to verify. There would be two advantages to doing it myself. I would not only save a lot of money, but I would also get it fixed right away if I had a spare on hand.
And how would they know that? O, You told them.
Old 04-22-2022, 11:16 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,343 Times in 519 Posts

I have Kool Club with Sun kool my bill was $0
twice a year service past 10 years

Tags
price, told, capacitor, motors, kool

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.