Supermarket Recommendation

Closed Thread
Old 03-09-2011, 09:25 AM

Gosh ! This has been the best thread on TOTV - ever ! I gotta print this out and put with my wife's grocery list. So many great ideas and suggestions..
Old 03-09-2011, 09:25 AM

I have found the Dollar Stores for cleaning supplies/paper products and some basic condiments.

Family Dollar 466A and Hwy 301
Dollar General in Lady Lake

Otherwise Walmart for prices as others have posted and Publix for variety of produce, bakery and food stuffs.

Enjoy your stay in the villages......
Old 03-09-2011, 10:04 AM
Gold member

Don't forget the Commissary if you are military. Hubs said there is one about 30 miles from TV but I don't remember the name. NOTHING beats commissary prices. We plan a major shopping trip there when we arrive since we are not bringing any cleaning stuff. New house, new broom...LOL
Old 03-09-2011, 11:43 AM

Would be interested in the 30 mile distant commissary location. We've been down to MacDill AFB a couple of time. Not sure about the savings now with gas the price it is but we enjoying the day trip, as we were stationed there 50 years ago. Want to also go over to Patrick AFB but have not done so, its a bit further I think. I'm not so sure about nothing beating commissary prices, but there are certain items that still fall in that category. After shopping only commissaries for 49 years it is good to get used to a real hnest to goodness grocery store. We like the one at MacDill which was no doubt built with the retired population in mind.
Old 03-09-2011, 11:54 AM
Veteran member
Location: Wheatfield, NY - next to Niagara Falls; Village of St. James
Default Wegman's

Francie.....let's start a petition to get Wegman's in TV. It's THE BEST! I'll miss Wegman's, our Olympic-sized indoor pool and all my wonderful friends when I move to TV.....but sure won't miss the cold and the snow!

Last edited by swimdawg; 03-10-2011 at 12:55 PM.
Old 03-09-2011, 12:28 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pa & Giggi View Post
We will be arriving about May 1st moving down from MA and we are used to buying our meats from a local butcher rather than the supermarket. My husband loves to cook and it is just one of our little luxuries that we indulge in by shopping at a butcher and we buy our pastas fresh from a local Italian restaurant. Will we be giving that up? Can't wait to move down!

Norm and Gisele
Hi Norm and Gisele, we're from Mass too. While I like Publix, Walmart, Sam's and Sweetbay, I find that Sweetbay's has things I'm more familiar with since their in the same company as Hannafords, which you probably know is from New England. Whenever we're there, we always seem to find something from back "home". If memory serves me correctly, I thought I saw a meat store in Wildwood once when we came in by Rt. 75, but someone more familiar with the area might confirm this, and if so, if it's any good. By the way, Sweetbay makes an incredible carrotcake log that the workers tell me that they can't keep on the shelf. I always order a couple before we leave for my son. Since we hopefully (fingers crossed) will down full time in May, he'll be picking up his own when he visits!
Old 03-09-2011, 12:43 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,665 Times in 594 Posts

walmart is cheapest, publix is very nice and a good deal when something is on sale, including meat. Sams if you buy stuff in bulk.

For example. Campbell's Chicken Noodle Soup (the no mix kind)
$1.50 at walmart, $2.29 at Publix.

But Publix is great for convenience and sales. Very friendly and helpful too.
I'm not big on Sweet Bay.
Old 03-09-2011, 01:24 PM

Hey Swimdawg,
I see you are from Wheatfield, NY...me to. Heading down to TV on 4/1 for a couple of weeks!
Old 03-09-2011, 09:53 PM

This is why I LOVE TV...Everyone is soooo helpful. Wow...three pages of great information. Thanks everyone!!

I've never heard of Aldi's. What type of store and where is it?

Can anyone tell me what the annual membership fee is for Sam's Club?

We've just signed a contract on our NJ home So, we'll be FROGS soon!!
Old 03-10-2011, 06:30 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,167 Times in 439 Posts
Default Aldi

is located between lowes hardware and walmart on 441/27....Usually the best price for milk (2.99 gal) and bananas (.39 lb)....Also when shopping Publix BOGO (Buy one,Get one) deals....I go online and make my list....
Hope you have a great time in paradise...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pklein9747 View Post
This is why I LOVE TV...Everyone is soooo helpful. Wow...three pages of great information. Thanks everyone!!

I've never heard of Aldi's. What type of store and where is it?

Can anyone tell me what the annual membership fee is for Sam's Club?

We've just signed a contract on our NJ home So, we'll be FROGS soon!!
Old 03-10-2011, 08:17 AM
Veteran member
Default Navy Exchange near Orlando Airport

Quote:
Originally Posted by kb8tpw View Post
Would be interested in the 30 mile distant commissary location. We've been down to MacDill AFB a couple of time. Not sure about the savings now with gas the price it is but we enjoying the day trip, as we were stationed there 50 years ago. Want to also go over to Patrick AFB but have not done so, its a bit further I think. I'm not so sure about nothing beating commissary prices, but there are certain items that still fall in that category. After shopping only commissaries for 49 years it is good to get used to a real hnest to goodness grocery store. We like the one at MacDill which was no doubt built with the retired population in mind.
There is a pretty good sized Navy Exchange (NEX) located just before the Orlando Airport. Take the Conway exit just before the airport exit off the Beach Line. As you drive down the off ramp, take a right turn and travel less than 1 mile, it will be on the right. Has a good PX, Grocery and Liqour Store.
Old 03-10-2011, 08:17 AM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

I think Sam's is $35 or $40 (can't remember which). I've found it to be worth the price. Think I save enough money on my Cokes and cat supplies alone to make it worth the annual membership.

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 03-10-2011, 10:23 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,167 Times in 439 Posts
Default Think I paid $40 Red

but I like you think it is well worth the fee..

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwitch View Post
I think Sam's is $35 or $40 (can't remember which). I've found it to be worth the price. Think I save enough money on my Cokes and cat supplies alone to make it worth the annual membership.
Old 03-10-2011, 12:50 PM
Gold member
Location: Retired and living fulltime in The Village of Bonita!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynasty View Post
Skip the grocery, sell all your stove and turn your kitchen into a den. Eat out, save money and loose weight.
You know my wife and her thoughts!

Army Guy
Old 03-10-2011, 03:41 PM
Default Wegman's

Francie and swimdawg: my eyes teared up when I read your posts--there will never be anything like Wegman's! When anyone came to visit us in our upstate NY home, Wegman's was #1 on the sight-seeing list. Aside from leaving family and friends, it was difficult to say goodbye to my fave store when we moved here. Maybe we could start a support group and have tee shirts & hats & a special handshake--waddya think? As many have stated, WalMart is great for prices, but I like shopping at Publix as well. Living here is the best thing ever--even without Wegman's.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.