Surge protector

Closed Thread
Old 06-01-2009, 09:09 AM
Veteran member
Question Surge protector

Any thoughts on whole house surge protectors? We will be moving in to Duval in June and are wondering who would install such a device and what the cost would be? Is this a necessity?

Last edited by elevatorman; 06-01-2009 at 09:26 AM.
Old 06-01-2009, 09:43 AM
Default surge protectors

We have had experience with SECO and the whole house surge protectors. Lightning hit one of our palm trees and the power ran through the ground and into one side of our house blowing out all electronics that were connected there. We called SECO and they gave us a number to call in Utah. After a couple of conversations with Utah we were told to send the surge protectors to them by UPS at our own expense. We did (to the tune of about $50). They later informed us that we had no claim since the voltage came into the house from the ground and not their wiring. No one explained that to us beforehand. The protector on the meter is for "white appliances", such as refrigerator, stove, dishwasher, washer, dryer, etc. SECO will remove that if your "white appliances" are damaged by lightning. I would suggest you call SECO and ask specific questions. We still have the coverage for the "white appliances" but have purchased better protectors for electronics at Ace Hardware. Hope this helps.
Old 06-01-2009, 11:17 AM
Sage

We had the whole house surge suppressor installed by Ace electrical out of Ocala about 2 years ago. Cost about $200. This is a one time cost vs paying SECO elec company by the month. It's something for peace of mind...how effective it will be time will tell. Hopefully we never have to find out.

I am checking on a house for a friend who is up north for a couple of months. Just yesterday, I go in there for the first time in about a week and oh what a smell. The fridge is off and all the food in the freezer is rotting and moldy. He had an electrician install a whole house surge suppresor a year ago. Through process of elimination we were able to determine that the fridge itself was OK but the circuit it was on was kaput (breaker wasn't tripped and wouldn't reset). The fridge is the top left circuit in the box. Was it lightning or a spike? Did the surge suppressor work or not work? Nothing else seems to be amiss.

Anyway, another real world experience with whole house surge suppressors.
Old 06-01-2009, 04:12 PM
Veteran member

You can also call Galaxy Home Solutions in Wildwood. They can install a whole home surge system. I know they do good work.

Money out
Old 06-01-2009, 07:35 PM
Veteran member

Surge protectors work for minor fluctuations in line voltage but are almost useless for lightening hits and trying to get anyone to pay warranty claims is a lost cause.

As a ham radio operator I had one friend take a direct hit on his 70' tower here in Ohio. It took out anything electrical in the house that was plugged in and a surge protector would have done nothing. The current came in through the coax cable. He had to replace everything and his homeowners insurance paid and then canceled him. The strike was so powerful it blew apart one of his antennas and he found parts of it over 100' away. It took over 3 years for him to get the right person from the phone company to get the static out of his phones.

Another friend and his son are both ham operators. Lightening could be heard in the far distance and nothing was close to their house, not even a drop of rain. They took a surge and it went into the room where the son had some expensive test equipment plugged into Tripp-Lite surge strips that were said to have a $25,000 replacement policy in case of loss due to a surge. Well the only equipment in the entire house that was lost was the son's and when he tried to file a claim Tripp-Lite would not pay.
Old 06-01-2009, 08:40 PM
Platinum member

I agree with Hawkwind... any kind of surge protection doesn't hurt, but it isn't going to do you much good if you take a direct hit. Lightning is going to go where it wants, with or without a surge protector. The insurance policies you get with them are going to be practically impossible to collect on. Having a whole house surge protector should not give you peace of mind. The better thing to do is to have a lightning grounding rod system installed... more expensive but more effective. Notice I said "a better thing to do"... this still isn't a 100% cure all if you take a hit, but it should be better than a surge protector.
Old 06-02-2009, 05:38 AM
Veteran member

Nothing will stop a direct strike, that is a known deal. They are made to stop surges. Best bet is to call who ever you want to deal with and talk with them on what you are after.

I can tell you that Galaxy Home Solutions can explain it in detail.. 352-748-4868. I check with them they offer protection for the tube and all. Dwayne Manns id the General Manager there.
I could tell you this or that, dont matter what I say. Ask the ones your having do the work. Ask them about warranties and who pays what. Make a list before you call them, then ask everything on the list.

Money out
Old 06-02-2009, 11:13 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Just remember that not all surge protectors are created equal...so donot be misled simply by a low price. You can easily see this when buying a surge protector for your entertainment center or computer ..some cost $10 while others cost close to $100. You want a high amount of "joules" protection.
Im sure there is some other type of measurement to look for in a whole house surge protector.

Also some people who have a whole house surge protector also get a secondary surge protector for their Air Conditioning unit which when you think about it makes sense. T Storms typically come in the summer when the Ac unit will most likely be running. Again a direct hit ..well you are fried...but for a surge you want and need all teh protection you can get.
Old 06-03-2009, 09:26 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Default Question for "In Charge" or "Lenhart" Electric

Question for "In-Charge" or "Lenhart" Electric

Can you tell us what the recommended IEEE standard is for full house Surge protection at the Service panel? Is it "Clamping Voltage" and if so what should we look for.... a Clamping Voltage or 300...400 ...500 ...or 700 (with 300 being the BEST). Does the clamping voltage (protection) effect the price of the unit installed....im sure it does but is it alot??

Also does it matter if you have a service panel with 150 or 200 amp service. If I am correct most 150 amp panels here in TV only have 2 open bays where the 200 amp panels have 10 or more open slots....and you need at least 2 open slots in your box to install a whole house surge protectors in your service panel.

Last edited by 784caroline; 06-03-2009 at 09:28 AM.
Old 06-03-2009, 10:15 AM
Default Good info on surge protectors

http://www.howstuffworks.com/surge-protector.htm

Bob

Tags
lightning, surge

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.