Termite control/protection policies

Closed Thread
Old 03-31-2015, 11:38 AM
Default Termite control/protection policies

Our one year termite protection is about to expire. We have received notice to renew for $125 a year. A) is it necessary? B) is it worth it? C) who do you recommend?
There are many opportunities to spend money here in The Villages. We should strive to do it widely.
Old 03-31-2015, 12:57 PM
Gold member
Location: Philadelphia & Lower Gwynedd, PA, Ocean City, NJ, Wesley Chapel, FL and The Village of St. James

This is your decision however, if you don't renew, your termite bond is discontinued, meaning if you would get termites, the entire cost to exterminate, eliminate and repair is on you. It's like an insurance policy against the termites. See who did you home originally, it should be listed in the garage on your electric box. We use Dean's, as they did ours originally. Cost is $150.00 per year. Good luck!
Old 03-31-2015, 01:05 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlongman View Post
Our one year termite protection is about to expire. We have received notice to renew for $125 a year. A) is it necessary? B) is it worth it?
Better safe than sorry.
Old 03-31-2015, 10:12 PM
Veteran member

A. Yes!, B. Yes!
This is Florida...moist sand, warm climate, wood --- a smorgasbord for termites!
Old 03-31-2015, 10:26 PM
Soaring Eagle member

I have lived in termite prone areas since 1983, mostly in Florida My husband was raised in southwest Florida and has lived here for over 60 years.
We have lived in a number of different houses and neither of us has ever had termites or termite insurance.

Don't let your friends and these companies who sell that "protection" scare you.
There have been few instances of termites here in TV.
The homes are newer and although it you could possibly have termites, the odds are against having them for many, many years.
That's why these companies sell insurance!!! That's how they make their big bucks.

Go with your gut and do what you're comfortable with doing, but don't let scare tactics influence you.
Old 03-31-2015, 11:49 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonanza View Post

..... but don't let scare tactics influence you.
You may be right. Those of us who weren't brought up in Florida are probably easy targets.
Termite insurance, pest control, heartworm for dogs -- I opt in because I figure
it's best to be safe.
Old 04-01-2015, 06:51 AM
Sage

They are only selling insurance, drive over where new houses are built ask the guys doing the treatment they will tell you it last well over 5 years.

Ask the building dept why there's 6+ inches of concrete slab showing below the vinyl siding.

It is very easy to see termite tunnels on that 6" exposed slab, when our 1 year was up they came to do a free inspection I walked around with the guy.
All he did was look at the concrete, I asked what he's looking for.
Tunnels, ok do you find them often, nope!

So on the insurance deal do you re-treat if you see them? yes

But that really doesn't happen much, not really a few house in the older sections he said.

The key is to have rain gutters (better insurance than termite) keep bedding away from foundation 6+ inches.

Be your own inspector......................simple take the money you save over the years an go on a cruise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonanza View Post

Don't let your friends and these companies who sell that "protection" scare you.
There have been few instances of termites here in TV.
The homes are newer and although it you could possibly have termites, the odds are against having them for many, many years.
That's why these companies sell insurance!!! That's how they make their big bucks.
Old 04-01-2015, 07:19 AM
Sage

I wonder if those advising it's not necessary will also step up to the plate to cover any damage the termites that won't happen will cause. Do what is in your gut. I had termites in my attic space in North Carolina. No sign of tubes on the exterior. Also had them in the 2nd story of my Jacksonville Fla home (was maybe 8 years old). Small price to pay for peace of mind.
Old 04-01-2015, 07:27 AM
Soaring Eagle member

I would not put termite insurance, pest control, and heartworm for dogs in the same category. You absolutely need to give your dog heartworm pills, the others are optional. If your dog contracts heartworm, he/she is in for a difficult treatment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barefoot View Post
You may be right. Those of us who weren't brought up in Florida are probably easy targets.
Termite insurance, pest control, heartworm for dogs -- I opt in because I figure
it's best to be safe.
Old 04-01-2015, 07:28 AM
Sage

According to this termites can't survive here in the attic

Heat is a nonchemical option for treatments. Excessive heat kills drywood termites by disrupting cellular membranes and denaturing enzymes needed for their survival. The treatment process involves heating all wood in the structure to a minimum of 120°F and holding this temperature for at least 33 minutes. The benefit of heat treatment is the ability to treat the entire structure without the use of chemicals and the relatively short period of time the structure must be vacated (hours instead of days, as with the use of fumigants)

If you've been in the attic here it gets well above 120 degrees here.

So that shouldn't be an issue, just continue to look at the foundation IMO.
Old 04-01-2015, 07:51 AM
Sage
Smile

My termite guy said that in some of the older sections of the Villages that termites have been found. When our original termite protection expired we went without it for several years and now our house is 8 years old. We picked up the coverage again just by having an inspection done. Fertigator covers our house for termites and we find the price reasonable. Make sure you compare apples to apples when comparing plans for coverage. Some cover the repairs and some do not.
Old 04-01-2015, 08:04 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Did you have the perimeter treated with Termidor at 8 years?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnieman View Post
My termite guy said that in some of the older sections of the Villages that termites have been found. When our original termite protection expired we went without it for several years and now our house is 8 years old. We picked up the coverage again just by having an inspection done. Fertigator covers our house for termites and we find the price reasonable. Make sure you compare apples to apples when comparing plans for coverage. Some cover the repairs and some do not.
Old 04-01-2015, 08:15 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuccillo View Post
Did you have the perimeter treated with Termidor at 8 years?
Yes, I should have mentioned that. They did treat.
Old 04-01-2015, 08:22 AM
Soaring Eagle member

How much did they charge for the retreatment? Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnieman View Post
Yes, I should have mentioned that. They did treat.
Old 04-01-2015, 08:44 AM
Sage
Smile

We bought a package deal from them and I assume they treated for the termites once we added the termite policy. It's been a couple of years ago. They do our pest control, our termite coverage, our fertilizer of plants manually on occasion and the fertigator to fertilize our lawn and plants on a regular basis through our sprinkler system. For everything we pay a cost of $55 per month.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.