Termites

Closed Thread
Old 08-20-2018, 12:59 PM

If you have cracks in your foundation, you could have a problem with ants and termites at some future time. You can inspect your home yourself, and there are over the counter pesticides that you can use to prevent pests from getting into your house. If you have roots from trees or large shrubs growing under your foundation, you may have problems with ants or termites at some future time. Do not plant too close to the house! Palm roots can travel 50 feet out from the trunk. There is your pathway into the house. Use No Pest Strips in your crawl spaces. It will kill any flying ants or termites during the swarming stage when they are looking for a way into your house via loose soffits and vents.
Old 08-20-2018, 03:14 PM
Sage

My home (4 years old) has metal studs for non-load bearing walls and wood studs for load bearing walls. The wood studs are sprayed up to 3-4 feet. You can buy Termidor and periodically refresh the boundary of your home. Inspecting for termites is not rocket science.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ffresh View Post
I still can't figure out why TV doesn't specify metal studs for new home construction if termites are such a HUGE threat (I know it doesn't eliminate the threat but it sure obviates it, IMHO).
The Benefits of Metal Studs - 6 Reasons for Choosing Steel Over Wood

I'm sure there could be other, very good reasons for using wood, however. I'm not suggesting it's a scam. Also, I'm not sure what they're using in the newer areas.

The Big Debate: Metal Studs vs Wood Studs | Home Remodeling Contractors | Sebring Design Build

FWIW I dropped my coverage at the time they wanted $400 - $500 for the renewal inspection and policy (at the 4 or 5 year point, I think). That was about 3 - 4 years ago. I walk the perimeter and look for any termite tunnels on the slab periodically but I can't say I've lost any sleep over the issue!

This is, of course, not a recommendation for anyone; it's what I do. YMMV

P.S. Could a permanent resident drop by my house while I'm here in Pittsburgh and see if it has been eaten yet? LOL

FredF
Old 08-21-2018, 07:23 AM
Veteran member
Location: The Villages - Formerly Atlanta Endicott and Syracuse NY

My view on the termite "bait" system .. For the transplanted northerners reading, it's like the yellow beetle bags used to "catch" annoying flying beetles in the summer.,. They attract all the beetles from all over the neighborhood and make you feel good since your bag is full ..
Old 08-21-2018, 08:07 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,594 Times in 5,191 Posts

The bait system is supposed to be more environmentally friendly because you don't need to treat the entire perimeter of the house. You only treat the soil near the bait traps where you find termites. But, you need to continually monitor the bait traps and treat as needed. I would rather treat the entire perimeter and be totally protected.
Old 08-25-2018, 08:17 AM

I changed to Dean for my termite coverage. They also do lawn and spray for bugs. Reasonable price. But it is the technician
you get who applies the chemicals that makes the real difference.
Closed Thread

Tags
years, plan, year, paid, renewals

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.