Termites

Closed Thread
Old 08-13-2018, 02:53 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Default Termites

Had 5 yr plan from Massey paid by developer. Paid one year renewals for last 3 years. Today my "Inspector " stopped by and did inspection. Then he informed me hat I had three options, for renewals at increased terms and prices. Did not understand the very small print and declined for the time being. He left the contracts for me to review. will call back in a few days. Our home is a CYV constructed mainly of poured concrete outer walls. We have KB apply pesticides on regular schedule to lawn and shrubs. There never (in 8 years) has been any evidence of termite infestation in the yard or house. Like to hear experience and opinions about entering into 3 year contract for nearly $400. Never had such a plan in 8 homes up north over last 50 yrs.
Old 08-13-2018, 03:14 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,621 Times in 5,199 Posts

I would keep the termite contract, but only pay the minimum annual amount to maintain the subterranian termite contract. Massey will try to sell you additional treatments for other types of termites, but I don't think they are worth the cost. Also, you may get a better deal from Dean's. You will probably never see any termites because they cannot be exposed to daylight. But, having a contract in place is a good thing when you want to sell your house. Having a concrete house does not really protect your house from termite damage. Termites can eat your drywall, trim, carpet, and other parts of your house.
Old 08-13-2018, 04:48 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,095 Times in 374 Posts

We all go through this dilemma. I personally believe that this land has been diluted with enough termite juice to kill all termites in the world. That is if you believe the description of how they prepare the land before building. So with all the discussion, when I came to my decision, I asked this forum if anyone had problems with termites or know of any person who have had problems with termites IN THE VILLAGES. At that time, several years ago, I received no affirmatives.

So what did I do? I paid for the bait system for the reason given in prior post, an insurance policy and an aid to sell if that time comes.

I wonder if Massey has ever paid a claim for damage by termites IN THE VILLAGES!
Old 08-13-2018, 04:55 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,621 Times in 5,199 Posts

My Massey contract does not cover termite damage. It only covers retreatment in the event that termites are found. I think that the Dean's contract is similar.
Old 08-13-2018, 05:00 PM
Default Reply to your termite question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Challenger View Post
Had 5 yr plan from Massey paid by developer. Paid one year renewals for last 3 years. Today my "Inspector " stopped by and did inspection. Then he informed me hat I had three options, for renewals at increased terms and prices. Did not understand the very small print and declined for the time being. He left the contracts for me to review. will call back in a few days. Our home is a CYV constructed mainly of poured concrete outer walls. We have KB apply pesticides on regular schedule to lawn and shrubs. There never (in 8 years) has been any evidence of termite infestation in the yard or house. Like to hear experience and opinions about entering into 3 year contract for nearly $400. Never had such a plan in 8 homes up north over last 50 yrs.
Your,"inspector stopped by," not sure what you have said.
There are several ways to control termites. One is termite baits. Is that what you have and what the inspector was there to check?
RE: three year contract for $400.
We used DEANS they apply termite chemical every year.
Our cost is $150 so about the same as your $400 quote for
three years.
BEWARE-if you let the policy lapse you will find it difficult to reinstate coverage ansd it will make it difficult to sell your home without termite coverage.
RE: 8 homes up north over the past 50 years.
In the old days, the chemical was CHLORDANE and properly done you only needed to do it once. Chlordane can no longer be sold so it is not an option. Also, this is Florida.
There is no winter cold to kill insects. Far as I know up north you/we only had risk of subterranean termites. Here we not only have them but there is a variety of termite that flies. Different0no not the ones you are familiar with that fly briefly to set up a new colony.
Old 08-13-2018, 05:20 PM
Sage

Quote:
<snip> We have KB apply pesticides on regular schedule to lawn and shrubs. There never (in 8 years) has been any evidence of termite infestation in the yard or house. <snip>
The pesticides applied to lawns and shrubs are NOT the same as the termiticides injected underground. BOTH are needed.
Old 08-14-2018, 02:58 PM
Platinum member

By law, at renewal time pest control companies can only treatvwith termite chemicals if they see termite activity. Some get around this by saying they are treating the border or foundation area of the house for ants. Termidor is still worth the extra cost for termites and “ant” treatments.
Old 08-14-2018, 04:06 PM
Soaring Eagle member

You want to be sure that you also are getting insurance to handle any damage that might be done.

You also have a lot of wood in your roof.
Old 08-15-2018, 02:56 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,661 Times in 727 Posts

Quote:
Did Massey tell you that you had another option..... like switching to Deans? That is what I did when they came through our neighborhood trying to scare people (IMHO) into paying more. I called Deans before my Massey coverage expired and they did an inspection and signed me up. Been with them for several years..... no problem and no scare tactics.
Old 08-16-2018, 09:17 AM
Gold member

My neighbor made a good point. He doesn't have termite "insurance" since virtually every house in the neighborhood is treated, so where would they come from? I have minimal insurance, and think it's a total waste of money, but for $110 a year, there is a little bit of protection there (I too live in a concrete block house, and other than the roof trusses and trim, there isn't much wood here).
Old 08-17-2018, 10:23 AM
Sage

Personally, I would not buy a home in the deep south without an active termite bond that would include any and all damage.
Old 08-17-2018, 01:21 PM

What am I not understanding?

If I am a purchaser I'll have a termite inspection. If the property doesn't have termites I'm good to go. If it does have termites the damage must be repaired.

What does the bond do for me, the purchaser?
Old 08-18-2018, 08:11 AM
Sage

Pays for the damage repair for 5 years if you maintain the inspections.
Old 08-18-2018, 06:36 PM
Default Termite

Call Superior Services Ask for Mitch
1-800-Pest Control He will explain why you need coverage. Florida is the Termite Capital of the States! They us Termidore
Old 08-19-2018, 04:45 PM

Most termite protection being offered lately only protects against subterranean termites! If you own a block home or poured concrete the chances of you encountering subterranean termites are slim to none. Wet wood and dry wood termites are a different animal, in a stucco or concrete home they usually attack wood trim or any wood made wet and never allowed to dry out, such as from a roof leak. Your termite policy does NOT cover wet wood or dry wood termites! READ IT!
Closed Thread

Tags
years, plan, year, paid, renewals

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.