Termites

Closed Thread
Old 08-20-2018, 04:49 AM

Never heard of a single homeowner complaining about having termites. I think it’s another way of making money. Had a contract 12 years ago with Massey, the third time they came to inspect, they didn’t look at anything until I asked him....arentyou going to inspect???? I think it’s a scam!
Old 08-20-2018, 05:36 AM

I’ve lived in Florida most of my life, and have seen what termites can do!
I cringe when I see trellises up against a home’s outdoor wall. Yes they’re so very beautiful and I admire the flowers, but struggle with myself whether or not to knock on the door and tell my neighbor that they are openly inviting termites into their attics!!
HELP - tell or mind my own business??
Would you want me knocking on your door?
PS. Even if you have a concrete home, there can be small settling cracks and expansion joints that termites can enter and even enlarge the tiny concrete cracks. 🤨

Last edited by MaryRDH; 08-20-2018 at 05:44 AM. Reason: Misinformation
Old 08-20-2018, 05:49 AM

Massey thinks they have a monopoly here in TV and can charge what they want. I had them when I first arrived. But they misdiagnosed a problem I had. I contacted the company that did my pre-purchase inspection (on the recommendation of Properties of The Villages) and signed with them. Have been very pleased. Call Integrity Home Services, 1600 N. Croft Avenue, Inverness, Fl 34453. Tel: (352) 344 3370
Old 08-20-2018, 06:02 AM
Veteran member
Default Termite Map from UF

This is a map of termites located in FL. You can click on the colored dots and get an exact location. Termite distribution in Florida (updated 6-8-2018) - Google My Maps
Old 08-20-2018, 06:56 AM

We purchased our preowned home lat Fall. Last week I signed up with Massey. Honestly, I got no pressure from their rep, and he actually recommended the basic policy. He did show me a picture on his phone of a courtyard villa south of 466A that had damage. The owner was told that she did not need the policy since she had block construction.
I have seen the damage that termites can do. Our country club in PA had extensive damage to a new addition after only a few years. They sued the pest control company, won, and the inspector got fired.
Old 08-20-2018, 07:01 AM

Call Truly Nolen for second opinion
Old 08-20-2018, 07:03 AM

My neighbor did not have a termite cntract. A concrete house only 3 yrs old. He found termites when they swarmed from the wall behind his refrig adjacent to the garage and had a lot of damage there. He has had to have the bait traps buried around the perimeter now. In florida its not IF you have termites but WHEN. I HAVE A GREAT CONTRACT WITH SUPERIOR. They did a ditch around the house for treatment for a one time price, then will redo it free every 5 yrs . I also have a shrub, plant, bug contract with it quarterly, can call them anytime if note any critters. $395/ yr.
Old 08-20-2018, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elevatorman View Post
This is a map of termites located in FL. You can click on the colored dots and get an exact location. Termite distribution in Florida (updated 6-8-2018) - Google My Maps
Thanks for posting. I didn't see any markers here in TV. Did I miss something?
Old 08-20-2018, 07:50 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,583 Times in 5,183 Posts

It is a myth that having a concrete house offers protection against termites. Termites live underground and enter the house through small cracks in the foundation. They usually eat soft wood like window sills, doors, trim, and also drywall and carpet. A concrete house is just as vulnerable to termite damage as a frame house.
Old 08-20-2018, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zmarkp View Post
Thanks for posting. I didn't see any markers here in TV. Did I miss something?
I believe there is one reported in or near the Rio Grande section of the Villages. It is a purple triangle on the map. Scroll down the map to south FL and see all the dots down there. WOW! Thanks to the poster who posted the interactive map.

BTW, when our home was built in 2012, the interior wood was treated for termites. We noted this as we were at the job site everyday to watch the build. The wood was treated about 3 or 4 feet high from where it met the concrete slab. We do keep up with our annual termite policy from Deans.
Old 08-20-2018, 09:28 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,742 Times in 703 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
It is a myth that having a concrete house offers protection against termites. Termites live underground and enter the house through small cracks in the foundation. They usually eat soft wood like window sills, doors, trim, and also drywall and carpet. A concrete house is just as vulnerable to termite damage as a frame house.
Absolutely correct. Not to mention all the furring strips between the block and drywall.
Old 08-20-2018, 10:15 AM
Gold member

I saw the same photo 2 years ago.
Old 08-20-2018, 10:57 AM
Default Wellll...I had Termite Damage...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamille View Post
Never heard of a single homeowner complaining about having termites. I think it’s another way of making money. Had a contract 12 years ago with Massey, the third time they came to inspect, they didn’t look at anything until I asked him....arentyou going to inspect???? I think it’s a scam!
Even though my home had been treated for termites, the company missed drilling behind my front concrete steps. That’s where they entered. I had to have the whole front wall of my home removed and all the wood replaced. Thankfully I had termite insurance and it was covered. I now have Dean’s Termite Service.
Old 08-20-2018, 11:01 AM

From experience I can tell you that Termidor is the only product that absolutely works for killing subterranean termites. Bate stations do not kill termites they just show evidence that you have termites.
Old 08-20-2018, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamille View Post
I still can't figure out why TV doesn't specify metal studs for new home construction if termites are such a HUGE threat (I know it doesn't eliminate the threat but it sure obviates it, IMHO).
The Benefits of Metal Studs - 6 Reasons for Choosing Steel Over Wood

I'm sure there could be other, very good reasons for using wood, however. I'm not suggesting it's a scam. Also, I'm not sure what they're using in the newer areas.

The Big Debate: Metal Studs vs Wood Studs | Home Remodeling Contractors | Sebring Design Build

FWIW I dropped my coverage at the time they wanted $400 - $500 for the renewal inspection and policy (at the 4 or 5 year point, I think). That was about 3 - 4 years ago. I walk the perimeter and look for any termite tunnels on the slab periodically but I can't say I've lost any sleep over the issue!

This is, of course, not a recommendation for anyone; it's what I do. YMMV

P.S. Could a permanent resident drop by my house while I'm here in Pittsburgh and see if it has been eaten yet? LOL

FredF
Closed Thread

Tags
years, plan, year, paid, renewals

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.