Terms and Conditions

Closed Thread
Old 04-27-2022, 12:18 PM
Default Terms and Conditions

I've been reading through a lot of the posts here and most of them say not to pay a contractor until the work is done. While I agree with that we are looking at a landscaper and they want 1/3 down and 2/3 upon completion. Looking for some direction here. He's 2 months out to do the work and I'd feel better giving him the 1/3 just before starting. Comments please....
Old 04-27-2022, 12:28 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,382 Times in 2,061 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GpaVader View Post
I've been reading through a lot of the posts here and most of them say not to pay a contractor until the work is done. While I agree with that we are looking at a landscaper and they want 1/3 down and 2/3 upon completion. Looking for some direction here. He's 2 months out to do the work and I'd feel better giving him the 1/3 just before starting. Comments please....
Notwithstanding the advice on this forum, there are not many businesses who will purchase materials without some guarantee of payment. 1/3 up front to cover the cost of the shrubs, mulch, or whatever they will be installing doesn't seem unreasonable.

Now that pools are in such high demand it wouldn't surprise me if some installers wanted a down payment to hold your position in line. I would be less comfortable paying that kind of reservation fee but might accept it from a good company that is known to be reliable.

I wouldn't pay a lawn service in advance unless I had used their service, knew their work, felt they were reliable, and was getting a good discount.

Victor, NY
Randallstown, MD
Yakima, WA
Stevensville, MD
Village of Hillsborough
Old 04-27-2022, 12:29 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,597 Times in 5,193 Posts

Quote:
There are landscapers who will do the job with no payment until they are finished and you are satisfied. That is the best way to go because you have no financial risk and you know that the contractor is properly financed and responsible. But, if you want to pay a third in advance, the only way to do it is with a credit card charge. That way, you have 60 days to dispute the charge if the contractor disappears. Some landscapers will say that they don't accept credit cards, but I think that any responsible contractor should accept them, even if they charge you a small percentage (2 or 3 percent) to pay the bank fee. I would not hire a landscaper any other way.
Old 04-27-2022, 12:34 PM
Soaring Eagle member

You probably have no choice. But the story would be the contractor should be able to finance its work. If it can not them maybe you should not deal with them. But then you might not find a contractor. I gave a deposit for some landscaping from a contractor who was active in the area and had a good reputation. But communications broke down including he did not deposit my check. I finally stopped payment and he then showed up that day to finish the discussion. He said he would start the work with no deposit. Long story short he did not show up and I hired another contractor and gave him a deposit (but I did know this person).
Old 04-27-2022, 12:50 PM
Sage

Here are two other options. One is to agree to pay the supplier directly for the materials when they are delivered to your house. Another option is to agree to make progress payments based on the amount of work completed. But, paying a third of the cost either in cash or by check before any work was completed would be totally unacceptable to me, and could very well result in you losing all of the money. It happens often.
Old 04-27-2022, 02:14 PM
Sage
Thanked 14,022 Times in 5,323 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
Here are two other options. One is to agree to pay the supplier directly for the materials when they are delivered to your house. Another option is to agree to make progress payments based on the amount of work completed. But, paying a third of the cost either in cash or by check before any work was completed would be totally unacceptable to me, and could very well result in you losing all of the money. It happens often.
Would never finance a contractor but some sort of progress payment could work.

If you felt you had no choice but to pay a deposit put it on a credit card but would also get some sort of a contract signed by contractor.
Old 04-27-2022, 03:25 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,121 Times in 2,237 Posts

OP, you can also check out the contractor with the BBB and seniors against crime, this will let you know if they have any complaints. Also there is a Florida webiste to check for license, insurance, etc. I will need to look this up.
Old 04-28-2022, 05:06 AM
Sage
Lightbulb

The BBB
All the BBB's are simply franchised business they are not a non profit agency.
Here's they they work when I was in NY they call up the biz and say they had an inquiry about your biz.
If you would like us to hold any complaint against your company you have to join for $900 a year.
If you do you won't have a negative rating and can advertise you're a BBB approved Biz
Total scam.
Crimes against seniors are good but they have no power to do anything.

Now getting to original ?

There are more landscaper complaints here I think than any other trade.

If they don't have funds to buy materiel's or credit with their suppliers they are not very established are they as in will they finish?

Or never show up.

They should have credit with a nursery, credit with say home depot for block wall materiel etc.
If they can't get credit they go to you finance their biz.

Keep looking don't get sucked into any pitch about $$$ upfront.

Don't sign a contract, ask for a quote in writing agree to pay upon completion or tell them simply they will not get the job, stand your ground.

Old 04-28-2022, 05:08 AM

If they have to purchase materials I think a third is reasonable.
Old 04-28-2022, 05:22 AM

Quote:
I would not pay any contractor anything up front, unless the job requires the contractor to spend thousands of $, such as for a kitchen or bath remodel. Most credit cards allow a 30 day period before any payment is due. Therefore the contractor can put his material on his credit card without any interest, and if he can not do that, he is not worth hiring. Another point is, why not have him take you to where he gets his supplies, and you purchase them yourself. Just pay him for his labor. MHO!
Old 04-28-2022, 05:25 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kgcetm View Post
If they have to purchase materials I think a third is reasonable.
So, you give them a check for a thousand dollars, they cash it, and you never see them again. Then, you start a thread on TOTV complaining that the company cheated you. Do a search and you will find many threads like that.
Old 04-28-2022, 05:26 AM

Our landscaper did not require a dime up front, purchased landscaping stone, bushes, plants and materials to build a wall around our palm tree out of pocket. He even picked out the plants and brought me the receipt for the wholesale prices he paid. Did an excellent job in lightning speed.
Old 04-28-2022, 05:43 AM

I would not give more than 1/3
Old 04-28-2022, 05:54 AM
Veteran member

Just say no unless a well verified contractor . The only time it's justified is when it's a custom product like a screen door or window for your home and they have to order it themselves in advance.
Old 04-28-2022, 06:11 AM
Default Landscaping

Got suckered into a landscaping nightmare!! I didn’t think I was that stupid but boy was I. Please always check the person out and don’t give upfront money!!
Closed Thread

Tags
work, 1/3, 2/3, completion, direction

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.