Terms and Conditions

Closed Thread
Old 04-28-2022, 06:27 AM

Ask around and get recommendations from neighbors on who to use. Jamie’s Landscaping and Pavers is highly used here in the villages. No $$ down. Ours was broken into three separate projects and we only paid for each when done. Friendly, fast and they do great work.
Old 04-28-2022, 06:57 AM
Veteran member

Pay anything up front on a credit card so that you can dispute the charge if necessary. If they don't take cc's I would move on to a contractor that does. Or, you risk losing the money. With a cc payment you have recourse.

Measure your wealth not by the things that you have, but by the things you have for which you wouldn't take money.
The world needs dreamers; the world needs 'do'-ers. But most of all, the world needs dreamers who are do-ers.
Old 04-28-2022, 06:57 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,613 Times in 5,195 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RhondaB View Post
Ask around and get recommendations from neighbors on who to use. Jamie’s Landscaping and Pavers is highly used here in the villages. No $$ down. Ours was broken into three separate projects and we only paid for each when done. Friendly, fast and they do great work.
Jamie's gave me a quote for a $5,200 project. He said that they would do the entire project and that I would owe nothing until it was completed and I was satisfied with the work.
Old 04-28-2022, 07:07 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeda View Post
Pay anything up front on a credit card so that you can dispute the charge if necessary. If they don't take cc's I would move on to a contractor that does. Or, you risk losing the money. With a cc payment you have recourse.
I agree. Some posters on other threads have suggested that you can stop payment on a check. Most contractors will cash a check immediately, and once it is cashed, it is too late to stop payment. With a credit card, you have 60 days from the statement date that the charge first appears to dispute the charge. Then, your bank must immediately remove the charge from your account and investigate the disputed issue. That is the Federal law.
Old 04-28-2022, 07:45 AM
Default Landscapers

Quote:
Originally Posted by GpaVader View Post
I've been reading through a lot of the posts here and most of them say not to pay a contractor until the work is done. While I agree with that we are looking at a landscaper and they want 1/3 down and 2/3 upon completion. Looking for some direction here. He's 2 months out to do the work and I'd feel better giving him the 1/3 just before starting. Comments please....
Its all about trust! The big guys will probably be there to complete the job, but their estimate that they gave you is still just that. The farther out the job is who knows what the price will end up being, with material costs.
The little guy….. he is subject to the same things, but can he complete the job?
The landscaper I chose Dereck Atwood is smaller but has vision, won’t do a job that is against the rules submits paperwork, a family man, has a big heart, but struggles with getting workers like everyone. He is months out and I believe this is the guy I want to help and not pay the big company with lots of overhead more money to get it done sooner. One said that they couldn’t even do my front yard for my budget.
After the job is done the time I waited won’t matter.
Still I am trusting that he will still be in business since I paid him money to buy the materials up front.
Life is a risk. At this point in life I don’t want to take big risks but I am willing to take this one.
Old 04-28-2022, 07:46 AM
Default Contrarian

Quote:
I've been reading through a lot of the posts here and most of them say not to pay a contractor until the work is done. While I agree with that we are looking at a landscaper and they want 1/3 down and 2/3 upon completion. Looking for some direction here. He's 2 months out to do the work and I'd feel better giving him the 1/3 just before starting. Comments please....
Check with state and local agencies and make sure contractor is insured, licensed, and bonded before entering in any agreement.
Old 04-28-2022, 07:50 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,176 Times in 757 Posts

I would find another landscaper, but that's just me....
Old 04-28-2022, 07:52 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollusk29 View Post
Check with state and local agencies and make sure contractor is insured, licensed, and bonded before entering in any agreement.
In the landscaping business, requiring a license, insurance, and bond will eliminate a lot of potential companies in The Villages.
Old 04-28-2022, 08:58 AM

When I had my kitchen redone the contractor wanted 1/3 down so he could buy materials, 1/3 when he started the work, and 1/3 upon completion.
Old 04-28-2022, 09:11 AM

Something that may help a little. Ask the landscaper to show an estimate from their supplier for the goods being used in the project and pay that amount when the product shows up at the site of the work. Part of the contract.
Old 04-28-2022, 09:53 AM

If a contractor doesn't have the financial means to carry the cost of the job until completion, he's probably short on cash and has more leverage over you when / if the job starts.
Old 04-28-2022, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Didn't happen in the villages, but rather in Michigan. House remodel project. Wanted 25% down ("to get the job started") and then periodic payments as the work progressed. I researched the builder and could find nothing negative. His sales materials were head and shoulders above the other bids as far as professionalism. Long story short, he does virtually nothing, goes out of business and I lose $70,000. Only then did I find the great advice that you are getting here, DO NOT PAY IN ADVANCE. If he cannot afford to finance his business for 30 days, the business is not very stable. Agree to pay based on how much work has been completed. The only thing I would pay in advance is "custom" supplies that he cannot reuse. And then I would pay it to the supplier.
Old 04-28-2022, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Be very careful- call seniors Vs crime and see if they have anything on file about him - check BBB - go to the permit office and see what they have on him!! Is he licensed- bonded - insured? DO NOT GIVE MONEY FAR OUT GIVE WHEN HE STARTS!!!!
Old 04-28-2022, 11:05 AM
Sage
Thanked 7,358 Times in 2,509 Posts

A third of several thousand dollars would be a good hit for doing nothing for a scammer.
Been plenty of posts on TOTV where that scenario has been played out.
Old 04-28-2022, 11:18 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkjelenbaas View Post
Be very careful- call seniors Vs crime and see if they have anything on file about him - check BBB - go to the permit office and see what they have on him!! Is he licensed- bonded - insured? DO NOT GIVE MONEY FAR OUT GIVE WHEN HE STARTS!!!!
Note that if the contractor takes your money and disappears, his insurance will not do you any good.
Closed Thread

Tags
work, 1/3, 2/3, completion, direction

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.