Thank You Mike Scott Plumbing for 6 Days Without Hot Water!

Closed Thread
Old 02-12-2020, 09:44 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,199 Times in 461 Posts
Default Tankless water heaters

Since, it seems, all the houses south of 44 have the tankless, I would assume local plumbers would have access to parts. I wish I had tankless, they consume 20 to 30 percent less energy and no leaks. It is a pain to be without hot water, no doubt.
Old 02-12-2020, 10:00 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

If no plumber on the East Coast had this part in stock and it was a $20 part, isn't it highly possible that someone in The Villages Pipeline, Someone with the Muscle could have given the green light to borrowing it from a house that is waiting to be sold. The house is sitting unoccupied with nobody living in it and yet you have no hot water. Thinking out of the box could have solved this dilemma quickly. Borrow the part and replace it in the unoccupied house when the part comes in. If I handed several hundred thousand dollars to a builder I would expect them to jump through hoops to help solve a problem like this during the warranty period or not. It's simple to follow and everyone would have been happy very quickly. Better than taking a Bird Bath!

Mike Scott Plumbing has been fair with us and in no way shape or form do they have to stock every part on an item that shouldn't have failed so soon! This would NOT be any Plumbers fault ever. The Squeaky Wheel Get The Part Sooner!

Last edited by Nucky; 02-12-2020 at 10:06 AM.
Old 02-12-2020, 10:41 AM

But a backup.
Old 02-12-2020, 11:04 AM

Heyitsrick Great answer. I'm from the NJ shore and we had plumbing supply houses too. I've been to one in Jensen Beach Fl And I'm going to check it out right now to see if they stock that part.
Old 02-12-2020, 11:04 AM

I found Mike Scott plumbing very difficult to deal with. They expected payment before they even came out to diagnose the problem. The simple toilet running problem was not fixed for more than a short time, and they refused to stand behind their work. Problem solved with my handyman and $20
Old 02-12-2020, 11:07 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Six days without hot water, due to a part that should have been able to be procured from somewhere within two days max...is totally unacceptable.

OP, you have every right...to be livid.
Old 02-12-2020, 11:34 AM
Sage

There are other plumbers who do new construction in TV's, check with CPM--been using them for years-just like I believe there are 3 HVAC contractors and @ least 2 electrical contractors who build houses in TV
Old 02-12-2020, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdinparadise View Post
I am posting this information as a cautionary tale. We lost hot water last Thursday (2/6). We immediately contacted Mike Scott Plumbing (who installed the Rheem tankless water heater) and in fairness to the company, a plumber was at the house in 45 minutes. The issue was quickly diagnosed as a failed “ignitor coil” which according to the plumber is a common problem. It needed to be replaced. HOWEVER, this part is NOT carried on any of the Mike Scott trucks. The plumber could do nothing. It had to be ordered from Rheem and would be delivered by FedEx to our home in 2-4 business days. Are you kidding me?

We spent 6 days without hot water!! GUESS WHAT - THIS PART CAN BE PURCHASED FOR $20.95. You can even order it from Home Depot.

It is unacceptable that all of TV residents south of 44 will at some point face this problem and Mike Scott Plumbing cannot spend the money to stock their trucks with an essential part after all the money the company has made from all of us. UNBELIEVABLE.

We will be ordering a “spare” so we never have to go through this again.
I'm a plumber too we stock many parts but in fairness to Mike they have 35 vehicles and to stock various parts for all makes and models of water heaters gas oven controls and piping is prohibitive.
Old 02-12-2020, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kountry View Post
Heyitsrick Great answer. I'm from the NJ shore and we had plumbing supply houses too. I've been to one in Jensen Beach Fl And I'm going to check it out right now to see if they stock that part.
erm ... amazon will bring one to your house pretty quickly
Old 02-12-2020, 04:29 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,162 Times in 833 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulUnderwood View Post
If the plumber told you this is a common occurrence why wouldn't they stock the part shame on them.
Yes, this is the key comment in this thread. If it fails often and it is a unit being installed in lots of homes then a company which is heavily invested in servicing this community ought to have that part readily available. Mike Scott's investment in having the part on each truck would be a few dollars and apparently the stock would turn over quickly with all the failures. If this was a part that rarely failed or was very expensive to stock "just in case" then not having it on hand would make perfect sense.
Old 02-12-2020, 04:35 PM

In the real world outside this bubble nobody helps anyone with parts nor does anyone have same issues on appliances! We but a house and we are on our own after that if the warrantee is past. Why would you expect this world here to be different than the rest of the US? And I have no idea what part you are talking about? If you are earning people, why not help us out with a link to the part or the exact name of it at Home Depot so it’s not just a dead complaint on us here??? I never had that problem with water heater at any other house I owned! Make this constructive instead of just venting and being vague. I am left confused and wondering wth can I do to help myself?
Thanks 🙏
Old 02-12-2020, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEbner2805 View Post
In the real world outside this bubble nobody helps anyone with parts nor does anyone have same issues on appliances! We but a house and we are on our own after that if the warrantee is past. Why would you expect this world here to be different than the rest of the US? And I have no idea what part you are talking about? If you are earning people, why not help us out with a link to the part or the exact name of it at Home Depot so it’s not just a dead complaint on us here??? I never had that problem with water heater at any other house I owned! Make this constructive instead of just venting and being vague. I am left confused and wondering wth can I do to help myself?
Thanks
I can't speak for the original poster, but based on what he said - Rheem Tankless Water Heater Ignitor Coil - and ~$20 at Home Depot - this product there seems to fit:

Ignitor Coil at Home Depot
Old 02-12-2020, 04:53 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

When you called the warranty department, who did they recommend. Even 10 years later, when something goose wrong at our house I always call them for who to call
Old 02-12-2020, 05:47 PM
Default Positive comment about Mike Scott Plumbing

One of Mike Scott's techs installed a new tanked water heater for us a couple of months ago, and we were pleased with the experience. We also were without hot water due to the failure and leaking of our old unit. They were able to schedule the job for the day after I called. The tech arrived on time, completed the job efficiently and professionally. The cost was reasonable. I would use Mike Scott's company again.

My condolences to his family and employees for the passing of Mike Scott.
Old 02-12-2020, 08:22 PM
Gold member

My house in NC has had a tankless hot water heater since 2009 and I have never had a problem with it

Tags
mike, scott, water, part, plumber

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.