Questions on enclosing Lanai

Closed Thread
Old 01-26-2015, 02:01 PM
Default Questions on enclosing Lanai

We are undecided about enclosing Lanai and want to hear from others.

#1 How long ago did you have it done and how is it holding up? (We see some in our neighborhood that are1-2 yrs. old & look older than the house ie: rusty uprights & screws)
#2 If you are happy with your enclosure who did the work?
#3 Do you like having it enclosed or wish you left it open? ( We have a birdcage & nice oudtoor space?
#4 Glass or Acrylic? ( with windows that open of course.)
We are not looking to make an additional room and are not raising up the floor.
Old 01-26-2015, 02:41 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,343 Times in 519 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJUCTH View Post
We are undecided about enclosing Lanai and want to hear from others.

#1 How long ago did you have it done and how is it holding up? (We see some in our neighborhood that are1-2 yrs. old & look older than the house ie: rusty uprights & screws)
#2 If you are happy with your enclosure who did the work?
#3 Do you like having it enclosed or wish you left it open? ( We have a birdcage & nice oudtoor space?
#4 Glass or Acrylic? ( with windows that open of course.)
We are not looking to make an additional room and are not raising up the floor.
1.2 years ago

2. Randa services

3.100% satisfied

4.Went with 18" knee wall with sliding glass and walk out door to bird cage don't have to worry about scratching when cleaning

5. The only thing I wish I would have done different at the time was pour the lanai floor to match height of the house eliminates stepping down

6. I leave sliding doors from house to enclosed Lanai open turn ceiling fan on to circulate air in summer and and in winter I have found no need for any additional heating or cooling source

7. Highly recomend Coolaroo sun shades from Lowes
Old 01-26-2015, 04:00 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,317 Times in 871 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by karostay View Post
1.2 years ago

2. Randa services

3.100% satisfied

4.Went with 18" knee wall with sliding glass and walk out door to bird cage don't have to worry about scratching when cleaning

5. The only thing I wish I would have done different at the time was pour the lanai floor to match height of the house eliminates stepping down

6. I leave sliding doors from house to enclosed Lanai open turn ceiling fan on to circulate air in summer and and in winter I have found no need for any additional heating or cooling source

7. Highly recomend Coolaroo sun shades from Lowes
Finished 3 weeks ago, 100% satisfied, T&D, 18" knee will with quad outlets installed, raised the floor to match the inside floor, tiled the floor to match inside, Glass low EE 50% sliding windows, triple sliding doors to the bird cage, inside sliders open all the time during the day (we do close at night), did not heat or cool but can do that later.

Berks County Pennsylvania
Old 01-26-2015, 04:10 PM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,312 Times in 545 Posts

In the summer I would think you would want some cool air to the enclosed lanai. We had an enclosed (glass) air conditioned lanai in a former house and loved it. I think you then can call it a true Florida room.
Old 01-26-2015, 04:42 PM

It kind of amazes me. I have 1900 sq feet under air for two people why would I need another room? That being said all my neighbors had it done so I am the only one who still has a true lanai. I have actually gained privacy on my lanai because everyone now has a Florida room.
Old 01-26-2015, 05:26 PM
Platinum member

We waited 2 years before we enclosed with full length stackable sliders by Custom Windows in Leesburg. So glad we did it and sorry we didn't do it sooner. Stays much cleaner and don't have to move cushions from furniture when it rains. With stackable sliders you don't lose the open feeling.
Old 01-26-2015, 06:50 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellyjam View Post
It kind of amazes me. I have 1900 sq feet under air for two people why would I need another room? That being said all my neighbors had it done so I am the only one who still has a true lanai. I have actually gained privacy on my lanai because everyone now has a Florida room.
The reason we did it was so we could feel like we were outside and still be comfortable (yes, it was under heat and air) wouldn't do it any other way.
Old 01-26-2015, 08:48 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,317 Times in 871 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomoho View Post
The reason we did it was so we could feel like we were outside and still be comfortable (yes, it was under heat and air) wouldn't do it any other way.
Ditto

Berks County Pennsylvania
Old 01-27-2015, 09:46 PM

How much does something like this cost?
Old 01-27-2015, 09:51 PM
Platinum member

We had Custom Windows put in high end glass. Best thing we have done. We have plenty of openness but very clean and useable space. You get what you pay for !!!!
Old 01-28-2015, 11:07 AM

It is important to consider the direction your lanai is facing. We enclosed ours with floor to ceiling sliders, single pane tinted glass and it gets too hot to use often. Sun exposure begins about noon thru sunset. We have solar shades, but, they are inside, so the heat is already inside before they can do any good. If doing over, we would use double pane, coated patio door sliders....cost would be more, but, it would be worth it.
JR
Old 01-28-2015, 11:08 AM

It is important to consider the direction your lanai is facing. We enclosed ours with floor to ceiling sliders, single pane tinted glass and it gets too hot to use often. Sun exposure begins about noon thru sunset. We have solar shades, but, they are inside, so the heat is already inside before they can do any good. If doing over, we would use double pane, coated patio door sliders....cost would be more, but, it would be worth it.
JR
Old 01-28-2015, 06:00 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,343 Times in 519 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellyjam View Post
I got tired of cleaning cleaning cleaning all the dust
Old 01-28-2015, 06:11 PM

Our sliding GLASS doors have been installed for almost a year. Love the way it keeps everything clean and not having to move cushions around when it rains. Also very effective in reducing noise from passing traffic. Use the room much more than before.

The only thing we didn't think about is the only way to clean the outer side of the glass is to remove the doors from their tracks because of the screening. Not too heavy to do but it's probably only a matter of time until we drop one while handling. Our lanai is on the west and it does become extremely hot at times and now there are some questions regarding the legality of installing auxiliary A/C units. With or without the A/C, we are very pleased overall.
Old 01-28-2015, 06:32 PM
Soaring Eagle member

We did sliders over 20 inch transom windows. Love the design and the light that comes through. We used low E glass and we did raise the floor to meet the family room . We also took out the sliding glass doors to really open the r oom. It's now "clean" we hated the dirt when it was open .

Aldo added anew additional room that can be used as a den,exercise room, or office with sliding pock Dr t door go lanai and open to the master bedroom.

Could not be pleased more. B@J Builders did our job. Very happy with everything.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.