Toilet bowl stains

Closed Thread
Old 09-28-2017, 03:14 PM
Default Toilet bowl stains

Moved into our house in June, and noticed after a month that both toilet bowls have to be continually cleaned due to a black, and a reddish material staining. I lifted the lid, and discovered black sediment in the tank. Cleaned both tanks out, and still have the problem. The house does have a water filtration system hooked up in the garage where water shut off is, and we were told by the owner that the filters were all changed a month prior to us moving in. We talked to other people on our street, and they have the same problem(Village of Summerhill). Talked to other people in other Villages, and they do not have the problem. Can someone shed some light on this, and is there anything we can do to get rid of it. Is it a Village issue in the pipes? I am getting ready to put in 2 new Dual-Flush toilets, and would like to see if I can get problem corrected before I do. My name is Dave, and can be reached at 812-734-4977 / 3littles@sbcglobal.net
Old 09-28-2017, 04:41 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,367 Times in 2,396 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boe39 View Post
Moved into our house in June, and noticed after a month that both toilet bowls have to be continually cleaned due to a black, and a reddish material staining. I lifted the lid, and discovered black sediment in the tank. Cleaned both tanks out, and still have the problem. The house does have a water filtration system hooked up in the garage where water shut off is, and we were told by the owner that the filters were all changed a month prior to us moving in. We talked to other people on our street, and they have the same problem(Village of Summerhill). Talked to other people in other Villages, and they do not have the problem. Can someone shed some light on this, and is there anything we can do to get rid of it. Is it a Village issue in the pipes? I am getting ready to put in 2 new Dual-Flush toilets, and would like to see if I can get problem corrected before I do. My name is Dave, and can be reached at 812-734-4977 / 3littles@sbcglobal.net
What does the water filter company say??
Old 09-28-2017, 05:00 PM

You have not said what water treatment system you have, but if the charcoal tank is large and has just been changed there will be some fine charcoal powder that bleeds through into the toilets. It should go away after a couple of days, but you do need to keep scrubbing the " johns " to avoid permanent staining before it does. It is a small price to pay for " clean " water.
Old 09-28-2017, 06:09 PM

If the system filters out chlorine it leads to more nasties "growing" in your toilet. We had the same problem in a previous house. Not we just have a softener and there's no problem.
Old 09-28-2017, 06:33 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boe39 View Post
<snip> We talked to other people on our street, and they have the same problem (Village of Summerhill). Talked to other people in other Villages, and they do not have the problem. <snip>
Based on this, I would be contacting your water company, not the filter company.
Old 09-28-2017, 10:49 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by champion6 View Post
Based on this, I would be contacting your water company, not the filter company.
I'd contact District Utilities Customer Service at 352-750-0000 to see if it's a known problem in your area.
Old 09-29-2017, 06:05 AM
Veteran member

check the black hard rubber washers in the bottom of the tank when they deteriorate they leave a black residue in the tank
Old 09-29-2017, 06:35 AM

We found that the reddish stain is removed with Clorox tablets made for toilets. The downside is, because of the harshness of the bleach, that you have to replace the rubber flapper in the toilet more often.

Not sure of the black stuff.
Old 09-29-2017, 07:13 AM
Sage
Location: The Villages and the Northern Neck on the Chesapeake Bay, VA.
Thanked 3,108 Times in 1,340 Posts

Call Nova Water and this will go away, plus great water in the whole house. I have the filters changed once a year, which is only about 4-5 months use. Amazing how dirty the 1st filter is , the 2nd not bad and the 3rd looks new. No more chlorine smell! Plus no more black crap in the toilet.

Last edited by Bay Kid; 09-29-2017 at 07:14 AM. Reason: add somethig
Closed Thread

Tags
problem, toilet, talked, water, house

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.