Tom Grooms VillagersADV

Closed Thread
Old 01-14-2021, 09:23 AM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch
Default Tom Grooms VillagersADV

Great guy. Reasonable prices. Super job. Can’t ask for more than that.

He mounted a new TV in the living room last Saturday. Came on time. Totally knew what he was doing. Was friendly, COVID respectful, cheerful and efficient. (352) 388-1677

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 01-14-2021, 11:11 AM
Veteran member
Location: The Villages - Formerly Atlanta Endicott and Syracuse NY

Tom has done several things for me over the past 3 years. from internet to TVs to surround sound to security cameras. He fixed many issues I had with Galaxy pre-wiring. I also endorse him without hesitation. Sometimes you have to be patient regarding call backs. He is always swamped .. but once he makes an appointment, he's timely and efficient.
Old 01-14-2021, 03:11 PM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to eweissenbach

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwitch View Post

He mounted a new TV in the living room last Saturday. Came on time. Totally knew what he was doing. Was friendly, COVID respectful, cheerful and efficient. (352) 388-1677
Hey Red, good to see a post from you. Haven’t seen anything from you in awhile.
Old 01-14-2021, 04:02 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,010 Times in 1,737 Posts

Yep, OP, we had Tom out too and happy about his work.
Old 01-14-2021, 04:19 PM
Platinum member
Location: Here, there, a lot of time in the Caribbean and keys, not much time spent in cold climates
Thanked 1,759 Times in 757 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwitch View Post

Agree he is the most reasonable and knowledgeable around the V's for sure. So happy his name was passed to me last year ! Geek squad wanted $100 PLUS to put ONE 50 in. TV on BR wall (this was about a 20 min job at most, but I had mounting ready and Tom put it up so quickly it was amazing !
Old 01-14-2021, 07:01 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,919 Times in 1,109 Posts

Tom is the best, BY FAR!!!
Old 01-14-2021, 10:44 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

Here's a real case scenario. About three years ago I installed this TV on the wall in the guest BR. I had to go a little higher than planned because of metal studs around the closet and I had have it high enough where you wouldn't bump into it. As it turns out, it's great right there when in bed sitting up or laying down.

I got the mounting bracket from Amazon for $27, got a TV antenna from Amazon for $30 with a mounting pole for $20 and mounted it in the attic above the garage and aimed it SE towards Orlando. Bought the 'hide the wires in the wall kit' from Home Depot for $50.

In LR and M/BR the TV's go to a satellite dish on the roof for Directv. This room I decided to connect to an over-the-air antenna for backup and for some channels we can't get. After everything was connected I couldn't receive any picture. I live in the Village next to Tom, he's in St. James. I called Tom and he answered and he said he might get by later on his way home. He actually came a couple of hours later.

First he tested the coaxial cable, I got 20' with the TV antenna which I used in the attic. He said the cable was bad and replaced the cable. He then went up into the attic and using a program on his phone, he adjusted the antenna to 118 degrees. Since years ago the Directv installer had run all 3 rooms cables outside to the Directv box, I ran a cable from the antenna to the outside and connected to the cable that wasn't tied into Directv. Tom went outside and checked that connection, he might made an adjustment I don't remember. We turned the TV on and it worked great, I get about 50 channels and Tom charged me $80 for about an hour's work and the 20' of cable he replaced. Job Well Done!!

The Villages Florida
Old 01-15-2021, 06:36 AM

Tom was at my house yesterday and got my sound equipment working properly. I had bought the system through him two years ago. He also replaced my sub amplifier which had gone bad (warranty replacement).
Born and raised in Toronto; also lived in Sudbury and Winnipeg while growing up; migrated to Atlanta where I lived for almost 30 years and also spent a year in Milan and two years in Rochester, MN (brrrr).
Old 01-15-2021, 08:06 AM
Send a message via AIM to ariel

Absolutely the best!!!
Old 01-15-2021, 09:07 AM
Default TV Man

[We also used Tom and he is excellent. He hung our TV put an outlet behind the TV and I would highly recomment him
Old 01-15-2021, 09:28 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

I had an even more recent experience with Tom than the antenna problem 3 years ago, and it was free advice over the telephone. In September I had wood floors installed and the installers took apart my TV with my 5.1 surround sound system before I could take a picture of the back of the TV and amp, you should always do that when reassembling the system. If you need floors, the guys at the Floor Shoppe on 301 are great and work extremely fast.

After everything was back in place, I had a 75" TV on a stand and a lot of components and a pile of wires and had not set this system up in ten years and totally forgot how I did it. Now, I had no sound. First I bought 100' of new Monster Cable from Walmart because all the old speaker wire was messed up since they sort of ripped it out from the edge of the rug. The cable didn't help.

Now I'm trying to run component cables from the TV to Amp, from Amp to Directv box, TV to Directv, nothing worked, no sound. I called Tom and he called me back a short time later and I explained the situation. He said, throw away your component cable, throw away the patch cords and just run single optic cables between the components and instructed me how to connect them, then the sound came on with no problems. It was about a five minute call but saved me a lot of work and now I'll always take a photo. Here's the system, there's a center channel in the cabinet, a subwoofer on the far left, two tower speakers and two matching rear speakers, and a Sony Amp, Directv source and ROKU Stick to the internet. This system can emulate a real concert.

The Villages Florida
Old 01-15-2021, 11:48 AM
Send a message via AIM to newgirl

What does he charge?
Old 01-15-2021, 01:22 PM

does Tom bring all the necessary equipment needed to install a TV or do I have to buy anything for him ahead of time?
Old 01-15-2021, 02:13 PM
Veteran member

He brings it all.
Old 01-18-2021, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_W View Post
I had an even more recent experience with Tom than the antenna problem 3 years ago, and it was free advice over the telephone. In September I had wood floors installed and the installers took apart my TV with my 5.1 surround sound system before I could take a picture of the back of the TV and amp, you should always do that when reassembling the system. If you need floors, the guys at the Floor Shoppe on 301 are great and work extremely fast.

After everything was back in place, I had a 75" TV on a stand and a lot of components and a pile of wires and had not set this system up in ten years and totally forgot how I did it. Now, I had no sound. First I bought 100' of new Monster Cable from Walmart because all the old speaker wire was messed up since they sort of ripped it out from the edge of the rug. The cable didn't help.

Now I'm trying to run component cables from the TV to Amp, from Amp to Directv box, TV to Directv, nothing worked, no sound. I called Tom and he called me back a short time later and I explained the situation. He said, throw away your component cable, throw away the patch cords and just run single optic cables between the components and instructed me how to connect them, then the sound came on with no problems. It was about a five minute call but saved me a lot of work and now I'll always take a photo. Here's the system, there's a center channel in the cabinet, a subwoofer on the far left, two tower speakers and two matching rear speakers, and a Sony Amp, Directv source and ROKU Stick to the internet. This system can emulate a real concert.

The Villages Florida
You can use regular lamp cord in place of the monster cable. Same wire at a fraction of the price.
Closed Thread

Tags
saturday, time, totally, knew, tom

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.