TV _ Internet Setup Help!

Closed Thread
Old 02-01-2011, 06:31 PM
Default TV _ Internet Setup Help!

I recently bought a new TV that is supposed to be able to connect wirelessly to the internet. Had Comcast install a land line, internet and TV service. They connected my Cisco E3000 wireless router to their modem and I am able to connect my laptop wireless to the internet. I cannot get the TV nor my Samsung Blu-Ray player to the internet. Is there a reliable service provider other that Best Buy's Geek Squad to get this working? Any suggestions will be appreciated as I've spent 3 full days w/o any success and it is too nice outside to be in doors!
Old 02-01-2011, 07:31 PM
Default TV_internet Setup Help

I just installed my internet connected DVD player when I was in TV in early January. I do not have any of the paperwork with me so I hope I can help from my memory. You most likely have a network key to connect to your wireless network, my key is 10 digits long, which I selected when I installed the wireless router. If you have that key you need to enter that manually when setting up the wireless DVD player. There were different options to connect to the network, try each one until it works. Hope this helps.
Old 02-02-2011, 09:58 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmfjr View Post
I recently bought a new TV that is supposed to be able to connect wirelessly to the internet. Had Comcast install a land line, internet and TV service. They connected my Cisco E3000 wireless router to their modem and I am able to connect my laptop wireless to the internet. I cannot get the TV nor my Samsung Blu-Ray player to the internet. Is there a reliable service provider other that Best Buy's Geek Squad to get this working? Any suggestions will be appreciated as I've spent 3 full days w/o any success and it is too nice outside to be in doors!
You might be able to log into your router and then register the other items. Have them turned on and trying to connect so you can see then. You will need to know the password for the router. If you do not you might be able to find it on the internet by looking up your router and the factory settings. Otherwise call your cable company that installed the lap top and see if they can give you the password. You will need the password before a third party can help you. A third party might be able to get around the password by resting the router to factor specs.
Old 02-02-2011, 12:43 PM

When I connected my blu-ray up I called Sony and they walked me through the process, it was complicated but they were real helpful.
Old 02-02-2011, 01:35 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdills View Post
When I connected my blu-ray up I called Sony and they walked me through the process, it was complicated but they were real helpful.
Unless your TV and blueray player have their own wireless adapter you cannot connect to your router wirelessly.

Your user manuals should mention this and what you need to do.

If they are not, you still can get them internet access.

You would need a wireless bridge. NOw that can get a little compicated in setting up....

Good luck.
Old 02-02-2011, 03:49 PM
Sage

Quote:
Another vote to call Samsung and then Comcast for set-up help. I recently bought a new tv that the pcture did not fit on the screem I called Samsung and within a minute, I was told I had an incompatibilty problem and suggested I call the cable company. the cable company knew exactly what was wrong and fixed the problem in a minute.

I'm sure your problem is more invovled but the people you call do this kind of thing all day long and can walk you through the process or determine very quickly what needs to be done.

I hope this helps.
Old 02-03-2011, 08:20 AM
Platinum member

We also just purchased a TV that is internet capable. The salesman told us that we would need to purchase a USB dongle antenna that is propiatary to the brand (LG). Have not had need for that yet, so we didn't get it.

We have had issues with Geek Squad and Best Buy, so we went to Ocala to HHGregg. Would have gone to Orlando if we had to. They delivered the TV and set it up the day after we were there.

A pessimist is an optimist with experience.

"In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress." - John Adams
Old 02-03-2011, 09:44 AM
Gold member
Default HHGregg

Quote:
Originally Posted by getdul981 View Post
We also just purchased a TV that is internet capable. The salesman told us that we would need to purchase a USB dongle antenna that is propiatary to the brand (LG). Have not had need for that yet, so we didn't get it.

We have had issues with Geek Squad and Best Buy, so we went to Ocala to HHGregg. Would have gone to Orlando if we had to. They delivered the TV and set it up the day after we were there.
we also used HHGreg out of frustration from using Best Buy. Great price and service,
Old 02-03-2011, 10:38 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Where did you buy the TV? I recently purchased one from H H Gregg and the salesman walked me through the procedure for connecting through wireless. In my case it was an LG and I had to purchase a dongle which fit into a USB port. I later learned the owners manual covers the procedure in detail. I suggest talking to the vendor.
Old 02-15-2011, 01:02 PM

Thanks for all of the great suggestions. Just got back to town and called Vizio, the TV Company, and they walked me through the long and somewhat complicated process. They even helped me to get my Netflix account up and running on the TV. No more waiting for the mail and my next movie!
Thanks again for all of the great information.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.