TV Antenna and Comcast Internet

Closed Thread
Old 02-24-2020, 09:34 AM
Default OTA antenna

I'm also concerned about a lightning strike. With that metal pole sticking up there like an invitation. The summer months can be quite "shocking".
Old 02-24-2020, 09:47 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Default Ohiobuckeye

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwsommer330 View Post
We just bought a ranch in The Villages and i want an antenna for local stations and then stream everything else over the internet connection. The prior owners of my ranch had satellite TV and centurylink DSL for internet.

Supposedly I can get Comcast for the internet (faster connection than DSL so I prefer that) but don’t want to pay monthly for cable TV particularly since I will be a snowbird at least for a few years.

The problem is both the antenna connection and Comcast need to go over the coax cable system in the house. I had intended to just replace the satellite dish with the antenna which already connects into the cable system outside my garage. I presume the Comcast cable would also connect to the house coax system near the same point.

Does anyone have experience having Comcast run coax inside their home? There is a shallow attic area and I would think they would have to run the coax through that above the garage. Will they do that? I only need the Comcast coax to one point inside the house for the modem and will use the coax system for the antenna. Is there some better way to accomplish this? Thanks in advance for your input
I had an antenna in my attic for over a yr. I found the cable to the room that I was going to have my TV in & I pulled it (cable) up into the attic then took the cable wire to TV & screwed it into a booster box. A booster box will give you a stronger signal, the booster box will have a IN & an OUT. Take short wire from antenna & screw it into the IN then cable from TV screw it into the OUT to TV. Booster Box will be AC, it has to be plug in. I got 50 channels pointing it towards Orlando. Follow directions that you got with antenna, there’s some work, but it’s not hard. Pulling wire to attic is the hardest thing. It’ll take some work! Where we live now our cable & Internet is FREE, can’t beat that. Good Luck!
Old 02-24-2020, 10:08 AM

You don't want Comcast. They raise prices frequently, and charge over $400 to cancel service. Comcast has been a monopoly in TV, and have no qualms charging whatever they feel like charging. Do your homework, get quotes, references......
Old 02-24-2020, 07:48 PM

I live near Savannah center and get all the local stations with an attic antenna but I have a freakishly tall attic. Antenna is about 19' above the ground. If the antenna is only 12' above the ground you probably can't get channel 2 (NBC). Height is key to getting Orlando stations.

I bought a Google Nest system with a main wifi router and 2 extra wifi points. If you were to connect the modem and main router right at the cable inlet you would probably only need 1 extra point to cover the entire house. The advantage of Nest is the SSID is the same for the main and extra point. Then you wouldn't need any of your house cabling for Comcast.

I have a junction box in the garage where the Comcast cable comes in. There are branches to all the other rooms in the house. Not sure how yours is set up but with mine you can connect Comcast to the cable in one room and use the others for TV.
Old 02-25-2020, 07:16 AM

I have a digital antennae that you could try. It pulls in local stations within a 100 miles.
Old 02-25-2020, 07:41 AM

We had Comcast come out and run a line thru exterior wall to our internet modem sitting on a shelf on the other side of the wall. Did not even up charge us but I gave him a nice tip.
Old 02-25-2020, 08:26 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grammy Sue View Post
I have a digital antennae that you could try. It pulls in local stations within a 100 miles.
No such thing as a digital antenna, all antennas receive an analog wave and the TV strips the digital signal off it. The "old time" antennas of the past would work very well.
Old 02-25-2020, 08:45 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,707 Times in 5,240 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyPenO View Post
You don't want Comcast. They raise prices frequently, and charge over $400 to cancel service. Comcast has been a monopoly in TV, and have no qualms charging whatever they feel like charging. Do your homework, get quotes, references......
To be fair to Comcast, the early termination fee on a 2-year agreement is $230, and it declines by $10 each month. During the 2-year agreement period, you can downgrade your services without being charged, but you cannot cancel all services. Also, the basic fees do not increase, but there are some taxes and other fees, not totally controlled by Comcast, that can be increased during agreement period. These fees are listed in the agreement. It is a good idea to know when your agreement period expires, and to make an appointment to establish a new agreement in person at the store before the old one expires. Otherwise, you will lose all discounts in the agreement and your charges will automatically increase.
Old 02-25-2020, 11:52 AM
Default This might help others from getting in this situation.

With internet using a coax connection to modem it can cause a problem when you use one of the coax leads for your internet connection.

We had that in mind when sitting down with designers on building our house and had an additional coax cable run from the termanal box to the location we will have modem/router setup at.

It was only about $50-$60 to have an extra coax cable installed to the location of our choice. Not sure what after build cost would be but much easier to do in advance. Another tip you might consider if building new is if your planning to have your TV wall mounted in living room pay the extra to have power outlet installed($55) at 5' height so no cables visible.

We had the additional coax cable installed at the 5' height and this eliminates any wires visiable for TV. We kept the low installed Coax cable and will use this for our internet connection.

I know this doesn't solve your problem with need of an additional coax for your internet but might help those considering building and keep from finding themselves in your situation.

We also had the power outlet and coax moved to 5' height in MB to eliminate wires also.
Old 03-11-2020, 07:12 AM

your antenna cable for free broadcast , get plugged into your television. There is no tie in with any cable lines.
Old 03-11-2020, 07:16 AM

how do you get free cable and internet ?
Closed Thread

Tags
coax, comcast, antenna, cable, system

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.