Under mounted sink - replacement of caulk

Closed Thread
Old 09-11-2021, 08:23 AM
Default Under mounted sink - replacement of caulk

Five-six years ago we had granite countertops installed with a stainless steel under mounted sink. The clear caulk that sealed the sink to the countertop is badly mildewed and needs to be replaced. In addition, the faucet has become slightly loosened. Who would I call to do this type of job? What would be involved? Any ideas how much it would cost?
Old 09-11-2021, 09:06 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,595 Times in 5,192 Posts

Mike Scott Plumbing is a good plumber.

Fixing the loose faucet is easy if you have the correct tool and can get access to the nut under the counter. But, replacing the silicone caulk on an under mount sink would probably require disconnecting the drain and removing and reinstalling the sink. You may want to try scraping the old caulk out with a sharp tool and recaulking the gap with new caulk. That could be a DIY project.
Old 09-11-2021, 11:44 AM
Sage
Thanked 6,121 Times in 2,237 Posts

I agree with retiredguy (above), take your cell phone and try to take a picture of the bottom of the faucet, this will give anyone who you contact an idea of what is involved. A good razor knife and a very stiff brush should be able to remove most if not all of the old caulk. Then you want a very high grade Bathroom (mildew resistant) caulk to replace the old. IMHO, you should be able to do this without removing the sink. You should be able to get a handyman to do this.
Old 09-11-2021, 01:20 PM
Platinum member

Undermount sinks use silicon sealant, not caulk. If your installer used caulk, that's what caused your problem.
Old 09-11-2021, 04:57 PM

Thank you, gentlemen. My husband was able to remove the old caulk (or sealant) and purchased silicon sealant to replace it. I need to clean up some of the residue first. Then, back permitting, he’ll get under the sink and be able to tighten the faucet. I really didn’t want to have to go the route of dropping the sink. My husband is a do-it-yourselfer, but because of recent medical issues, I didn’t want him to do too much.
Old 09-11-2021, 05:19 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rzepecki View Post
Thank you, gentlemen. My husband was able to remove the old caulk (or sealant) and purchased silicon sealant to replace it. I need to clean up some of the residue first. Then, back permitting, he’ll get under the sink and be able to tighten the faucet. I really didn’t want to have to go the route of dropping the sink. My husband is a do-it-yourselfer, but because of recent medical issues, I didn’t want him to do too much.
I can identify with your husband!
Old 09-12-2021, 05:15 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,522 Times in 628 Posts

Quote:
After the caulking is removed I would spray Clorox cleanup under the rim to kill any mold. Let it sit for an hour or so and wipe it off with a damp cloth. Do that until your cloth is clean with no black on it. Make sure it is totally dry before resealing. A fan is an important accessory. Speeds up drying
Old 09-12-2021, 05:43 AM
Location: atl (marietta) - 1/20 bought on killington loop then covoid hit - looking again

[QUOTE=thevillages2013;2002490]After the existing mtl's we'd wipe the joint w/alcohol prior to Chlorox & applying100% silicone sealants.
Old 09-12-2021, 06:51 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,136 Times in 881 Posts

I love this type of thread!
Old 09-12-2021, 07:13 AM

Mike Scott may be a good plumber but he has many henchmen that don’t know what a pipe wrench is
Old 09-12-2021, 08:00 AM
Platinum member
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by thevillages2013 View Post
After the caulking is removed I would spray Clorox cleanup under the rim to kill any mold. Let it sit for an hour or so and wipe it off with a damp cloth. Do that until your cloth is clean with no black on it. Make sure it is totally dry before resealing. A fan is an important accessory. Speeds up drying
A hair dryer will help in speeding up the drying. Then as "STADRY" recommended use alcohol and top grade silicone.
Old 09-12-2021, 08:05 AM
Send a message via AIM to joelfmi
Default I am a master plumber project manager for a very large retailer

Quote:
What I have seen in my project management is DIY"S doing their own Jobs like you are trying to do and getting injured, which will cost you more than getting a carpenter that installs under mount sinks. Penny wise dollar foolish. Is this a stainless sink undercounts sink for a granite top that has special under mount clips to secure the sink to the top. Take pictures of the sink under the counter and go into The Home Depot kitchen design center they will explain to you what has to be done so you don't injure yourself
Old 09-12-2021, 08:17 AM
Veteran member

If your husband has to work under the sink, try taking an ironing board and put the narrow end of it in the cabinet opening. That way, he can lie on his back and not have to contort himself to get under there.
Old 09-12-2021, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
Mike Scott Plumbing is a good plumber.

Fixing the loose faucet is easy if you have the correct tool and can get access to the nut under the counter. But, replacing the silicone caulk on an under mount sink would probably require disconnecting the drain and removing and reinstalling the sink. You may want to try scraping the old caulk out with a sharp tool and recaulking the gap with new caulk. That could be a DIY project.
Could not have stated it better.
Old 09-12-2021, 09:10 AM
Gold member

I'd just add silicon can quickly become a sticky mess.
Recommend taping off (painters tape) the area to be caulked.
Leaves a cleaner edge. Be sure to remove the tape before the silicone sets up.
Vinegar can be used to clean up if necessary.
Closed Thread

Tags
sink, mounted, caulk, addition, faucet

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.