Water softeners needed?

Closed Thread
Old 12-25-2019, 08:47 AM
Veteran member
Default Water softeners needed?

I know we are all bombarded with ads recommending water softeners. As I was reading my new refrigerator manual the other day I noticed they weren't recommended for ice makers as the salt can damage the ice maker. Mentioned it to a group people and a chiropractor said we should drink hard water, not water softened water.
Old 12-25-2019, 08:50 AM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,754 Times in 3,629 Posts

Up North I had a softener for years. I like the feel and the impact on clothes & dishes.

However, when I came to TV I installed a whole house filter. I think this is key for drinking and faucets.

I'm still on the fence if I'm going to add a softener. IT'S NOT NEEDED, just a personal preference.

I think filtering water in TV is a must.
Old 12-25-2019, 09:01 AM
Gold member

I don't feel a softener is needed here, but I did install a whole house filter and it does a great job.
Old 12-25-2019, 09:03 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftyf View Post
I don't feel a softener is needed here, but I did install a whole house filter and it does a great job.

Completely!
Old 12-25-2019, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftyf View Post
Same here
Old 12-25-2019, 10:00 AM
DAIII

I've seen the garages packed with systems (and the garages aren't large) and for this reason I have drinking water delivered. and consume anything water related to delivered water.

Town/City water is OK* for showers and clothes/dishes.

*unless you're in Flint Michigan
Old 12-25-2019, 11:16 AM
Default Water Filter System

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewilson58 View Post
Up North I had a softener for years. I like the feel and the impact on clothes & dishes.

However, when I came to TV I installed a whole house filter. I think this is key for drinking and faucets.

I'm still on the fence if I'm going to add a softener. IT'S NOT NEEDED, just a personal preference.

I think filtering water in TV is a must.

If you can, can you please tell me what water filter system you use or one that you recommend?

Thanks!
Future Villagers
Old 12-25-2019, 11:19 AM
Sage
Thanked 6,127 Times in 2,240 Posts

This has been discussed many times here. We installed both a water softener and whole house filter and love them. NOTE: we have water softeners for decades back up North, so the regular water here was somewhat of a shock between the hardness and the chlorine.
So back to your question, NO this equipment is NOT required, it is person preference.
If you decide to install this equipment, be sure to shop around and get advice. There are units at the big box stores (combination) that will do what you want for around $500, and there are companies in the area that will use various tactics to sell you a system for $5000 or more, that do the same thing. Be aware of any company that offers to test your water and then shows you reports of how bad the villages water is. The water meets or is better than all government limits, but it is hard and can smell of chlorine.
Old 12-25-2019, 01:10 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

I disagree with the person who said the water is fine for clothes/dishes washing and showering. We use a whole-house filter system coupled with potassium chloride water softener (no salt). With nothing, clothes are dingey and glasses get filmy. I can tell the second we need to refill the potassium chloride, because after showering my skin itches.

But like VT, we've had a softener since the late '80s, so we're used to the softer water.

The taste of the water in TV is probably the worst of any place we've lived save one huge old apartment building. The whole house filter took care of it, and the TV water now tastes great.
Old 12-25-2019, 03:17 PM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,754 Times in 3,629 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabrina&Bill View Post
If you can, can you please tell me what water filter system you use or one that you recommend?

Thanks!
Future Villagers

I purchased Pelican.

Did a lot of research.

Nova is very popular in TV.
Old 12-26-2019, 06:36 AM

Villagetinker is absolutely right. You can pick one up at HD for 400-500 and either install it yourself or get a professional, it’s simple plumbing. A whole house filter before it for $50 is also a decent idea.

Now, what’s the value ? Coffee tastes incredibly better, and I do mean incrediblybetter. Also better performance from dishwasher and laundry soaps and soft water coming down on you in the shower feels like liquid pearls, not liquid rocks.
Old 12-26-2019, 07:01 AM

I installed one a few months ago because the hard water left my skin itching madly and no amount of lotion would make it stop. After installation...problem solved.
Old 12-26-2019, 07:14 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post
I disagree with the person who said the water is fine for clothes/dishes washing and showering. We use a whole-house filter system coupled with potassium chloride water softener (no salt). With nothing, clothes are dingey and glasses get filmy. I can tell the second we need to refill the potassium chloride, because after showering my skin itches.

But like VT, we've had a softener since the late '80s, so we're used to the softer water.
The taste of the water in TV is probably the worst of any place we've lived save one huge old apartment building. The whole house filter took care of it, and the TV water now tastes great.
Potassium chloride is a salt just of potassium instead of sodium.

The salts replace calcium and magnesium in the water at the same concentration. The salt is in parts per million and you can not tasted it. It will not damage the ice maker.

The Villages water is hard and as others said it is a preference as to whether you prefer soft water.

I own a Puronics softener and it uses only about 1.5 lbs of salt per 1000 gals of water.
Old 12-26-2019, 07:48 AM
Sage
Location: The Villages and the Northern Neck on the Chesapeake Bay, VA.
Thanked 3,108 Times in 1,340 Posts

I went with the Nova Filter system. Lots of silt caught. No chlorine smell.
Old 12-26-2019, 08:01 AM
Veteran member

We went with the Nova whole house filter system 2 years ago. Have been very happy. Also did not need a filter in our refrigerator because of the whole house filtering. Got rid of the smell and taste. Recommended changing filters (3) of them yearly, but since we are still snowbirding, we change every 18 months.
Closed Thread

Tags
water, ice, softeners, mentioned, salt

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.