Velux or SolaTube skylight?

Closed Thread
Old 07-22-2008, 01:55 PM
Sage
Default Re: Velux or SolaTube skylight?

Z, I think you should factor in the heat generated by those bulbs and the electric used to light them. Granted, payback will take forever, but even going a little green feels great!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zcaveman
Just out of cutriosity have you figured how many light bulbs you would have to replace to get the payback from the solar tubes?

I have lived here for 7 years and have had to replace two recessed lights at $7 a piece.
Old 07-23-2008, 01:00 AM
Eternal Member

Sorry. Still not convinced. I go to houses that have the solar tubes and am just not impressed.

I do try to be green. I have those special lights in a lot of rooms. I just hope I don't have to call hazmat when one of those bulbs blow.

Second star to the right, then straight on 'til morning.
Old 07-23-2008, 01:40 AM
Sage

That's true. I've heard they will be another environmental disaster. I don't know if it's true since I do not know what they are made of.
Old 07-23-2008, 02:04 AM
Eternal Member

Apparently there is mercury in them. There is a procedure for when they break.

From the EPA website:

CFS Fluorescent light bulbs contain a very small amount of mercury sealed within the glass tubing. EPA recommends the following clean-up and disposal guidelines:
1. Open a window and leave the room for 15 minutes or more.
2. Carefully scoop up the fragments and powder with stiff paper or cardboard and place them in a sealed plastic bag.
• Use disposable rubber gloves, if available (i.e., do not use bare hands). Wipe the area clean with damp paper towels or disposable wet wipes and place them in the plastic bag.
• Do not use a vacuum or broom to clean up the broken bulb on hard surfaces.
3. Place all cleanup materials in a second sealed plastic bag.
• Place the first bag in a second sealed plastic bag and put it in the outdoor trash container or in another outdoor protected area for the next normal trash disposal.
Note: Some states prohibit such trash disposal and require that broken and unbroken lamps be taken to a local recycling center.
• Wash your hands after disposing of the bag.
4. If a fluorescent bulb breaks on a rug or carpet:
• First, remove all materials you can without using a vacuum cleaner, following the steps above. Sticky tape (such as duct tape) can be used to pick up small pieces and powder.
• If vacuuming is needed after all visible materials are removed, vacuum the area where the bulb was broken, remove the vacuum bag (or empty and wipe the canister) and put the bag or vacuum debris in two sealed plastic bags in the outdoor trash or protected outdoor location for normal disposal.

Second star to the right, then straight on 'til morning.
Old 07-23-2008, 02:32 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by handieman
Solarlights Inc in Ocala
2 -10" & 1- 13" $1138.00 installed and very pleased (2007 prices)
Handie :joke:
Had the same deal installed today,very pleased,brightens up areas very nicely. :bigthumbsup:
Old 07-23-2008, 02:35 AM
Gold member

We purchased three solar tubes, after a long and lengthy discussion, from Solar Guys. Cost was approximately $1100.00 including the three extra filters and lenses I wanted.

We put one in each bathroom and one in the open room. The one in the guest bathroom not only lights up the bathroom but lights up the hallway.

After they did the installation, as agreed upon, they put in place different combinations of the filters that were available. I wanted a softer more natural light, rather than the brilliant light I had seen. They were very cooperative in assisting me with making a decision, I am extremely pleased with.

We have an amber filter on the bottom of each of the solar tubes. This amber filter, effects the light so subtly you do not realize it is there. The amber lens softens the light and the prism lens to diffuse the light.

Personally I wanted the one with the prism bottom because when the sun shines through the solar tubes there is a myriad of rainbows on the floors and walls.

We only wanted Solar Guys as they had installed our solar attic fan and we saw the professional way they did things. They were neat and clean. Answered all questions and made suggestions that were good for us.

We are more than pleased with the way they look and the amount of light that comes into the rooms. As others have stated, you think that someone left the lights on. The one in the open room lets in enough light so that each wall is lit up.

Cost, I do not know how many years it will take to pay off the solar tubes.

What I do know is that when we were in our home in TV earlier this summer, we had our blinds closed. Instead of the room being dark, the room had a cheery welcome feeling due to the solar tubes.

I do not know how to put a price tag on this.

Hope this info helps anyone making a decision.

HB
Old 07-23-2008, 02:45 AM
Sage

Thanks, Z, for the heads up on this issue. I am surprised. See all the great info you can find on TOTV???

Quote:
Originally Posted by zcaveman
Apparently there is mercury in them. There is a procedure for when they break.

From the EPA website:

CFS Fluorescent light bulbs contain a very small amount of mercury sealed within the glass tubing. EPA recommends the following clean-up and disposal guidelines:
1. Open a window and leave the room for 15 minutes or more.
2. Carefully scoop up the fragments and powder with stiff paper or cardboard and place them in a sealed plastic bag.
• Use disposable rubber gloves, if available (i.e., do not use bare hands). Wipe the area clean with damp paper towels or disposable wet wipes and place them in the plastic bag.
• Do not use a vacuum or broom to clean up the broken bulb on hard surfaces.
3. Place all cleanup materials in a second sealed plastic bag.
• Place the first bag in a second sealed plastic bag and put it in the outdoor trash container or in another outdoor protected area for the next normal trash disposal.
Note: Some states prohibit such trash disposal and require that broken and unbroken lamps be taken to a local recycling center.
• Wash your hands after disposing of the bag.
4. If a fluorescent bulb breaks on a rug or carpet:
• First, remove all materials you can without using a vacuum cleaner, following the steps above. Sticky tape (such as duct tape) can be used to pick up small pieces and powder.
• If vacuuming is needed after all visible materials are removed, vacuum the area where the bulb was broken, remove the vacuum bag (or empty and wipe the canister) and put the bag or vacuum debris in two sealed plastic bags in the outdoor trash or protected outdoor location for normal disposal.
Old 08-04-2008, 12:22 AM
Veteran member

Procedure for disposing of broken fluorescent lights:

Break if up further with your foot (shoes required) till it fits in your dust pan
Sweep contents into dustpan and throw sweepings in the trash
I have been doing this since they invented fluorescent bulbs ( yes I'm that old) and I ain't dead yet. Probably not a good candidate for a cannibal's dinner cause I'm contaminated
Old 08-04-2008, 01:05 AM
Sage

Handi, son, you ain't right!!! 1rnfl 1rnfl 1rnfl 1rnfl 1rnfl 1rnfl
Stay out of Donner Pass for the immediate future..
Old 08-04-2008, 01:17 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by handieman
Procedure for disposing of broken fluorescent lights:

Break if up further with your foot (shoes required) till it fits in your dust pan
Sweep contents into dustpan and throw sweepings in the trash
I have been doing this since they invented fluorescent bulbs ( yes I'm that old) and I ain't dead yet. Probably not a good candidate for a cannibal's dinner cause I'm contaminated
Handie please stay down wind from me. 2 reasons. Oh I'm sure you can think of the 2nd. ;D
Old 08-15-2008, 03:22 AM
Sage

I have decide to use Solatube. They will be installing our tubes on Monday. The outfit out of Ocala was much cheaper, but for some reason I feel The Solar Guys might be a better choice for us.
Old 08-15-2008, 04:37 AM
Eternal Member
Send a message via AIM to barb1191

Quote:
Originally Posted by samhass
I have decide to use Solatube. They will be installing our tubes on Monday. The outfit out of Ocala was much cheaper, but for some reason I feel The Solar Guys might be a better choice for us.
Deb....

Solar Tube was installed in our home by the former owner. We're very pleased with the tubes and would like to add that the company has excellent customer service. A leak sprung in our kitched tube and the company was out the next day, fixed it at no charge and even spray painted the water stain.

Good luck

Most people walk in and out of your life, but FRIENDS leave footprints in your heart.

"Being kind is more important than being right." By Andy Rooney
Old 08-15-2008, 01:39 PM
Sage

Thanks, Barb. How long ago was your tube installed? I wonder if the stain will come back?
I am using The Solar Guys because they are registered roofers and they did a job for the man that did our solar panels on the roof. He spoke very highly of them.
Old 08-15-2008, 06:20 PM
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by samhass
Deb, Aren't the Solar Guys the outfit form Ocala that installs Solatubes? We had Solar Guys install our solatubes....I think....I'm getting confused with all this Solar this and solar that!!!!.
They were great. Is Ashley the lady in the office that makes the appointment? If she is, those are the folks we used.
Old 08-15-2008, 06:37 PM
Sage

Steve, I think Solatube is sold by The Solar Guys in Summerfield..not Ocala.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.